This years turkey on the WSM

How did you guys manage to keep the temps down so good..I tired using my rotisserie on my WSM 22. Temps were good for awhile then they got away from me. This always happens when I use the rotisserie and have to open the lid.

Thanks DanB
PS I did use lump and no wood.

I've had problems in the past with the temp getting away from me. This time I made sure I just barely cracked the lid. Maybe 1/8 inch or so. That seemed to do the trick.

I also didn't fully load the ring with charcoal. I put a little more than a chimney full of unlit KBB in and spread it evenly. Then I fired up a full chimney and scattered that evenly on top. That seemed to be about the right amount. The temp held fairly steady throughout the cook, then started to trail off a little right about the time I took the meat off. I had very little charcoal left over.

I let it run with all the daisy wheels wide open, but with the lid fully seated, until the smoke cleared up. That took about 45 minutes and had me up to about 305 by the time I put the meat on. I cracked the lid when I put the meat on, and the temp slowly rose to 330 - 350 and stayed in that range for the rest of the 2 1/2 hr cook.

How did you guys manage to keep the temps down so good..I tired using my rotisserie on my WSM 22. Temps were good for awhile then they got away from me. This always happens when I use the rotisserie and have to open the lid.

Thanks DanB
PS I did use lump and no wood.

Not trying to hijack the OP's Beautiful bird but to DanB If your lookin', you ain't cookin'.

Not trying to hijack the OP's Beautiful bird but to DanB If your lookin', you ain't cookin'.

Hi Then how will I know when it is done? The turkey was a rotisserie so I had to check temps in order do so I had to open the lid.
DanB

Back