MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #31
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

It’s crazy just how much truly excellent bbq is within an hr of DFW. I think living here it’s almost taken for granted.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #32
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
It’s crazy just how much truly excellent bbq is within an hr of DFW. I think living here it’s almost taken for granted.
That's the feeling I'm starting to get!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:53 AM   #33
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, worse than Lockhart, for me, at least there are only 3 well regarded BBQ joints I go to there.

DFW has a lot of good stuff to choose from. Mid-cities towards Arlington has some awesome Asian options.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #34
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric

Lockhart in Bishop Arts District is really good, but I’m a sucker for big beef ribs. My brother lives there and likes Hard8.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #35
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like my hotel will be with 5 minutes of Heim and 10 minutes of Panther City. Think 407 is about an hour ride.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #36
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
I'll be driving over, not sure where I'm staying yet. Seems like 407 is pretty popular, may have to see if there is a hotel near it. I thought for sure I would get people telling me to definitely go to Panther City or Goldees, but not once! Lol
Goldee's is great and after taking his class I'm a big fan of Dylan Taylor, but they are literally out in the middle of nowhere by a waste disposal mound. They do have two 1,000 gallon Mill Scale smokers and one 500 gallon Austin Smoke Works smokers they will let you play with.

I like 407 BBQ and frequent it often because I live nearby. Brian the owner is a good guy and also has some interesting BBQ breakfast items, but he uses large, industrial indoor smokers as opposed to the 1,000 or 500 gallon offsets. When he competed he used a Jambo J5 so he knows how to manage a fire.

Smiley's Craft BBQ in Roanoke is also very consistent and they are in a food hall with gourmet coffee, a micro-brewery, fish & chips, etc. He runs a 1,000 gallon Primitive Pit.

My other previous recommendations Panther City BBQ has three Moberg's, and Hurtado has three different 1,000 gallon pits, I think they are Moberg and Austin Smoke Works.

Last but not least, Slow Bone BBQ just outside of downtown Dallas uses a classic Oyler Smoker and makes killer side dishes!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #37
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
Goldee's is great and after taking his class I'm a big fan of Dylan Taylor, but they are literally out in the middle of nowhere by a waste disposal mound. They do have two 1,000 gallon Mill Scale smokers and one 500 gallon Austin Smoke Works smokers they will let you play with.

I like 407 BBQ and frequent it often because I live nearby. Brian the owner is a good guy and also has some interesting BBQ breakfast items, but he uses large, industrial indoor smokers as opposed to the 1,000 or 500 gallon offsets. When he competed he used a Jambo J5 so he knows how to manage a fire.

Smiley's Craft BBQ in Roanoke is also very consistent and they are in a food hall with gourmet coffee, a micro-brewery, fish & chips, etc. He runs a 1,000 gallon Primitive Pit.

My other previous recommendations Panther City BBQ has three Moberg's, and Hurtado has three different 1,000 gallon pits, I think they are Moberg and Austin Smoke Works.

Last but not least, Slow Bone BBQ just outside of downtown Dallas uses a classic Oyler Smoker and makes killer side dishes!
I think Dylan is totally out of Goldees now. Still may be worth the trip with some people there still having experience at Franklin's and other great places.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #38
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
Looks like my hotel will be with 5 minutes of Heim and 10 minutes of Panther City. Think 407 is about an hour ride.
No question then you NEED to go to Heim. The bacon burnt ends are like nothing I've ever tried anywhere else and absolutely decadent. The moist side brisket is up there with the best I've ever had anywhere. If I remember correctly the pork ribs were actually pretty good as well (I never like restaurant pork ribs).

I'm sure there are other stars there as well but the moist side brisket and bacon burnt ends are epic.

Hell I'm excited about the meal now and I'm not even going there!
Old 09-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

All this talk of local joints was too much so I ran into Smileys last night on a whim. Unfortunately they were about out of everything. I decided to come back for lunch when they have everything and it's fresh.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #40
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Went back though my Instagram list and Smiley's if another place I follow and forgot they were in the area. All these recommendations have me thinking of staying another night!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #41
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
All this talk of local joints was too much so I ran into Smileys last night on a whim. Unfortunately they were about out of everything. I decided to come back for lunch when they have everything and it's fresh.

If you have any kind of sweet tooth, do yourself a favor and try Smiley's Banana Pudding!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:58 PM   #42
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Decided to give an update:

Original plan was to hit Panther City for breakfast, Heim's On The River, and Goldee's.

Plans got changed, but Panther City for breakfast tacos did not disappoint at all. Jalapeno cheddar sausage was amazing, brisket was great. Wish I would have went back for lunch. Saw Derek Allan's Texas BBQ was advertising Berkshire pork steaks so I decided to try there instead for something different. Sold out of pork steaks, but decided to try everything else. Chipotle mac and cheese was very good, unique flavor. Best meat was probably the burnt ends with their jalapeno jam.

Decided to run to Smiley's Craft BBQ in Roanoke for dessert. Got there and was lucky enough to talk to the owner, bought some fresh pie and banana pudding with some jalapeno cream corn over fritos. Owner decided to gift me some breakfast tacos, brisket, pork, and pork belly. Threw the tacos in the oven when I got home this evening, even as left overs they were very good. Enjoyed getting to see the pit room and talking to the brains behind it, would love to actually get some of his Q next time.