MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #46
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric In STL View Post
Czarbeque, it's not that i couldn't cut it, i don't enjoy that process was my point

Sorry man, just following Luchador into another stick burner attack.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-12-2018, 02:58 AM   #47
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
Show me someone in this site who only has stick burners.
Case in point
You have that huge ginormius mcsmoker, two banderas, and still smoke with a gas smoker

It’s called versatility, broham. And drive to Rockinar’s place. I only recall a Klose on his patio.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #48
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

I only have a brinkman offset. Now people can stop arguing.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #49
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
It’s called versatility, broham. And drive to Rockinar’s place. I only recall a Klose on his patio.

Lol at versatility.

I guess rockinarse klose was "cheap junk" since he is buying TWO new stick burners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I have an Evie Mae's 24x60" trailer on order and a Moberg 250 gallon on order.

Plan is to use the Evie Maes till the Moberg is ready.

Pellets are so tempting. I've tried to come up with reasons to buy one. Mainly the convenience. But the food that comes off them does not even look good. My thought was just use a pellet for quick chicken cooks and what not during the week. I have looked at tons of videos. The food off them does not even look good. And some of these quality pellets cost more than offsets. I aint doing it......

Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #50
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

I've never seen the appeal of a stick burner. I don't want to have to tend to it all the time for half a day or longer. Most of my long cooks are overnight, and I really enjoy sleep.
They take up a lot of space, cost a lot, fuel is harder to come by, etc.

For me, charcoal is where it's at. It's inexpensive, hands-off, and convenient.

I get the appeal of a pellet cooker, but I like the simplicity (and lower cost) of charcoal cookers. There's simply nothing to fail on my WSM.

But I lean Libertarian, so I'm all for everyone doing whatever they want so long as it doesn't infringe on my charcoal cooker.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #51
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post

Wood is actually quite a bit cheaper than charcoal in many cases, especially when you look at it from a # lbs cooked food to dollars spent on fuel ratio. I could probably cook 150lbs of food on less than $10 worth of wood. See how much charcoal it takes to do similar.

And, theres nothing to SEE involving the appeal of a stick burner, it's all in the taste Running outside every half hour to toss a log on the fire isn't much work to me, but I guess it's still a higher level of effort than sleeping.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #52
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Wood is actually quite a bit cheaper than charcoal in many cases, especially when you look at it from a # lbs cooked food to dollars spent on fuel ratio. I could probably cook 150lbs of food on less than $10 worth of wood. See how much charcoal it takes to do similar.

And, theres nothing to SEE involving the appeal of a stick burner, it's all in the taste Running outside every half hour to toss a log on the fire isn't much work to me, but I guess it's still a higher level of effort than sleeping.
I don't even know where to buy wood around here. Within 3 miles of my house there's at least five different places I can buy lump though...

Wood takes up more space, you gotta make sure it's properly seasoned, etc.

Also, it's rare I cook more than a single butt at a time. Seems like a waste to burn a bunch of wood for that. I've only cooked more than a single butt a couple of times in the few years I've been BBQing.

But again - to each his own! I'm happy to eat good 'que cooked on a stickburner so long as I'm not the one doing the cooking haha.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #53
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I've never seen the appeal of a stick burner. I don't want to have to tend to it all the time for half a day or longer. Most of my long cooks are overnight, and I really enjoy sleep.
They take up a lot of space, cost a lot, fuel is harder to come by, etc.

I get the appeal of a pellet cooker, but I like the simplicity (and lower cost) of charcoal cookers. There's simply nothing to fail on my WSM.

But I lean Libertarian, so I'm all for everyone doing whatever they want so long as it doesn't infringe on my charcoal cooker.
Get outta here. That's like saying you don't get the appeal of a mcmansion, or a lifted diesel truck, or a tricked out Harley with a big bore kit specifically for cruising to casual dining hangouts. The phark is wrong with you??

Old 07-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #54
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Running outside every half hour to toss a log on the fire isn't much work to me, but I guess it's still a higher level of effort than sleeping.
And by every half hour you really mean every 15 to 20 minutes right? Did you forget the cook log you posted?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #55
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Get outta here. That's like saying you don't get the appeal of a mcmansion, or a lifted diesel truck, or a tricked out Harley with a big bore kit specifically for cruising to casual dining hangouts. The phark is wrong with you??
Haha, I don't get the appeal of a lot of things.

McMansion - if I wasn't married with a kid I'd happily throw away most of my stuff and live in a 600sq. ft home with a true two car garage or shop building out back. The wife and kiddo however demand a bit more space...

Harley's are great at making noise and vibration without the pesky side effects of horsepower. And I don't want to wear leather all the time, and get a tattoo, and put Harley decals on everything I own, etc.

Lifted diesel - I just bought a new truck actually...a Honda Ridgeline. It's not lifted, it's unitbody (not body on frame), and it's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! Compared to the other midsize pickups it's not as capable off-road, and won't tow as much. But if I wanna go off-road I'll take my mountain bike, and I don't tow anything. And compared to the other mid-size trucks it has more interior space, better handling and ride thanks to the independent rear suspension, quieter interior, better gas mileage, a big "trunk" in the bed that's super useful, and it's the only one with a bed wide enough for a full size sheet of plywood to lay flat. So....for me, it was the best choice.

Here's my truck hauling Shaq's bicycle to my shop to replace some broken spokes on the wheels. It's not a tiny truck, it's just a pharking HUGE bike. It's custom made, has 36" wheels.

And for scale, me (5'-10") and the baby and the bike - and keep in mind I'm standing up the hill a bit from the bike, the ends of the bars hit me in the shoulder on level ground. Shaq can sit on the seat with both feel on the ground with some bend in his knees

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #56
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Haha, I don't get the appeal of a lot of things.

McMansion - if I wasn't married with a kid I'd happily throw away most of my stuff and live in a 600sq. ft home with a true two car garage or shop building out back. The wife and kiddo however demand a bit more space...

Harley's are great at making noise and vibration without the pesky side effects of horsepower. And I don't want to wear leather all the time, and get a tattoo, and put Harley decals on everything I own, etc.

Lifted diesel - I just bought a new truck actually...a Honda Ridgeline. It's not lifted, it's unitbody (not body on frame), and it's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! Compared to the other midsize pickups it's not as capable off-road, and won't tow as much. But if I wanna go off-road I'll take my mountain bike, and I don't tow anything. And compared to the other mid-size trucks it has more interior space, better handling and ride thanks to the independent rear suspension, quieter interior, better gas mileage, a big "trunk" in the bed that's super useful, and it's the only one with a bed wide enough for a full size sheet of plywood to lay flat. So....for me, it was the best choice.

Here's my truck hauling Shaq's bicycle to my shop to replace some broken spokes on the wheels. It's not a tiny truck, it's just a pharking HUGE bike. It's custom made, has 36" wheels.

And for scale, me (5'-10") and the baby and the bike - and keep in mind I'm standing up the hill a bit from the bike, the ends of the bars hit me in the shoulder on level ground. Shaq can sit on the seat with both feel on the ground with some bend in his knees

Lol at pesky side effect of horsepower.

Everytime I think of mcmansions I remember this site. You really feel sorry for the Joneses after you visit this site

http://mcmansionhell.com/101

Lol at shaqs bike. It's humongonous! I'm really happy he uses flat pedals and not clips cos if that guy fell off a bike he would for sure dent the road

Old 07-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #57
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nothing wrong with increasing the amont of used smokers that are available.

As long at it isn't me that's doing it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #58
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric In STL View Post
Please no arguments fellow brethren, stick burning just isn't for everyone, i would just tell people that are thinking of getting into stick burning, understand what that process is, then make your decision

I understand exactly what you’re saying. I was seriously considering investing in a decent offset, but I know me good enough that I was able to talk myself out of it.

When I thought about sourcing and dealing with wood, tending a fire, etc, I know I would not have enjoyed it enough to justify the cost and trouble.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #59
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

So Smitty has a thread he bumps periodically for the newbs who havent seen it....title is 'Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy'

Thats the whole idea...dont buy unless you understand what you are getting into. Are you looking for a specific flavor, a convenience, a size, a method....are you limited by your HSA, or your location and availability of fuel? Good to research and think about these options before you buy and then figure out you dont like it later.

Now, there are others out there who have to learn what they like by touch and feel and taste. In my case, I was always the kid at scout campouts who liked to build and stoke the fire. I find that relaxing. To me the transition to a stick burner was natural...and I really enjoy the process...not to mention the flavor.

I found out through experimentation that I didnt like the flavor or the dependency on electric of a pellet smoker. I found out through the same experimentation that I liked the flavor of charcoal better than pellets, but could often taste an off flavor from briquettes.

I still have the PBC for convenience, but use it about 1 to 15 vs my Lang. YMMV...which is the point...get the smoker that is right for YOU.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #60
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
And by every half hour you really mean every 15 to 20 minutes right? Did you forget the cook log you posted?
Adding split every 15 min. Another false statement