MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
BBQpve
Knows what a fatty is.

Default SoCal to Ohio - Need Albuquerque, OK City, KC Suggestions

I'm heading from SoCal to Ohio shortly. Planning on overnight stops in Albuquerque, Oklahoma City and Kansas City. If I can only eat at one place in each city, where should I go?
Also, any good suggestions in Columbus, OH.
Help a brethren out!

Old 07-21-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
Gary Tomato
is one Smokin' Farker

I’d be going to:

- Rudy’s Country Store and BBQ in Albuquerque - Carlisle, I went there on a road trip and thought it was fantastic (I may be mocked for recommending a chain store) :-)

- Cattleman’s Steakhouse in Oklahoma City, a well-known steakhouse

- so many great BBQ joints in Kansas City, I’d probably write the names of six on bits of paper and pull a winner out of a hat! Joe’s Kansas City, SLAPs, Q39, LC’s. Heck do a progressive dinner at a few of them!

Eat well!
Gary Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #3
JbTech
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQpve View Post
I'm heading from SoCal to Ohio shortly. Planning on overnight stops in Albuquerque, Oklahoma City and Kansas City. If I can only eat at one place in each city, where should I go?
Also, any good suggestions in Columbus, OH.
Help a brethren out!
What area of Columbus are you headed to?

Thurmans in German Village just south of Downtown Columbus for lunch!

Last edited by JbTech; 07-21-2020 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Too early...
JbTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
TheDeuce
Full Fledged Farker

If you want BBQ in Columbus, check out Legacy Smokehouse in downtown Hilliard. Excellent food and the owner is fantastic.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
FrkYrPrk
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott
Default Timing is Everything

NM restaurants are currently closed for indoor dining, 50% occupancy outdoor dining, takeout if available...

I like these places:
https://nexusbrewery.com/
The BBQ joint isn't in the most upscale neighborhood...
Beer is good

http://www.bbqandsoulfoodabq.com/
For my money, Powdrell's has the best ribs in town. Sauce is vinegar based, YMMV... The Central Ave location has a drive up window.

http://www.sadiesofnewmexico.com/
The red chile ribs will be blazing hot...
Old 07-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

If you traveling thru OKC on Fri-Sun after 11am, hold out for Butcher's BBQ stand in Wellston - about 45 mins east, just off I-44. 3402 OK-66, Wellston, OK 74881
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
brandonh1987
Full Fledged Farker

Oh god forget the tourist traps in KC like joes and jack stack. They suck. Harps BBQ, Fox and Fire BBQ are the two best in the city and it’s not even close.
brandonh1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

ABQ

- Rudy's on Carlisle is an old standby that's pretty good. I wouldn't make fun of you for it. I've enjoyed it in the past.

It depends on what you're wanting/needing.

Breakfast/Lunch?
- Tia Betty Blues - 1248 San Mateo Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108 - Takeout only right now, but they may reopen their patio - check www.tiabettyblues.com or give them a call - Way friendly with great food and get the Cafe Azteca to go with a Breakfast Bowl - Red chile, add avocado. Off. The. Chain!
- Tia B's Waffleria - 3710 Campus Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87106 - Same kinda deal - Check http://www.lawaffleriaabq.com - Get the Salmon & Lox Waffles. Ridiculous.

Lunch/Dinner
- Really Good "To Go" Food - Coda Bakery - 230 Louisiana Blvd SE C, Albuquerque, NM 87108 - Best damned Banh Mi sammiches anywhere around - #1 Traditional or #8 Beef w/ Lemongrass. Additionally, their sweet rolls (made with croissant dough) are out of this world!
- Vietnam 2000 - 601 San Mateo Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108 - Still Takeout Only - Check their website: www.2000restaurant.com - I've never had a bad meal here. Any of their pho is good. Their fried rice is delicious. I highly recommend the Vietnamese Iced Coffee (especially if able to dine-in).

Mexican Flare?
- Barbacoa El Primo - 413 Adams St SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108 - MUST DO IF ABLE - Even if you have to get takeout and eat off the hood of your car in a parking lot somewhere... this is a MUST. 1/2lb per person... comes with tortillas, veg, and salsas. Get a little extra. It's worth it. Closes no later than 1500... so hit 'em early.
- Mexican Seafood Option? Sharkey's! - 5420 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87105 - They're on Facebook, too. Best fish or shrimp tacos in town. Killer ceviche, too. Outdoor eating an option.

Hope those help - Feel free to ping me with questions. Safe travels.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:53 AM   #9
BBQpve
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstaggs View Post
If you traveling thru OKC on Fri-Sun after 11am, hold out for Butcher's BBQ stand in Wellston - about 45 mins east, just off I-44. 3402 OK-66, Wellston, OK 74881
Is that the creator of Butchers injection? Use it for brisket. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
BBQpve
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonh1987 View Post
Oh god forget the tourist traps in KC like joes and jack stack. They suck. Harps BBQ, Fox and Fire BBQ are the two best in the city and it’s not even close.
Only 1 night in KC, so I’ll have to pick just one. Might also be limited by the time I’m able to roll into town.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:45 AM   #11
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQpve View Post
Is that the creator of Butchers injection? Use it for brisket. Thanks.
Sure is. Dave Bouska and family. They have more than a few good cooks under their belts... :-)
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #12
BBQpve
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Road trip update. Need Louisville suggestion

On the road and have hit a number of spots.

Albuquerque- went to Rudy’s. Brisket breakfast taco was very good. Ribs unfortunately were not. Seemed like leftovers and not very tasty.

Amarillo - Went to Henk’s. Really solid chopped beef sandwich. Need pickles and sauce on it for the right balance. Tyler’s was closed as it was Monday.

Midweek, so Butcher’s was closed.

KC - Only could go to one place. Picked Joe’s Kansas City original gas station. Ordered Z-man beef sandwich, burnt ends and a rack of ribs. Z-man was off the charts. It’s a really good sandwich. Burnt ends were the best I’ve ever had. Ribs were solid but not great. My son did think they were good and juicy.

Now I need a spot tomorrow in Louisville and then final stop in Columbus
Old 07-29-2020, 03:51 AM   #13
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

That's a great trip! I've driven parts of that route on many occasions. I'm glad you hit Joes. I wouldn't say its the best Que in KC, but it's a great example and a really fun experience. There are other locations that might have flavors more in line with what us BBQ cookers tend to like, but it's still something special.

I'm highly allergic to Ohio, so I can't offer much help there, and if I even think about Kentucky-I just start drinking bourbon. Enjoy the trip!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:53 AM   #14
BBQpve
Knows what a fatty is.

Stopped in Louisville and went Feast’s. Had a really good chopped pork sandwich. Doesn’t rival Payne’s in Memphis, but it was really good. Really enjoyed the loaded tater tots as a side dish. Never had those before.
Now we’ve arrived in Columbus. A local recommended The Pit BBQ, which I’ll try in the next day or two.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #15
BBQpve
Knows what a fatty is.

Last stop was Ray Rays Hog Pit in Columbus. Essentially a permanent food truck in a parking lot. Carolina Chopped Pork sandwich was good and sloppy. Topped with Cole slaw and a vinegar sauce.
Now it’s back home to my own low n slow.