MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
redhawk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Traveling with Cooked Turkey

Due to unforseen circumstances I'm now doing the turkey for thanksgiving and we have a three hour drive on top of it.

Let me know if this sounds good to you.

4:30 a.m. - Get up and get the WSM going with the minion method and shooting for 350 temp.

5 a.m. - Put the 12 pound turkey and 6 pound turkey breast and cook at 350 until it hits internal of about 150 ish.

7:45 a.m. ish - Take turkeys off and double wrap in heavy duty tin foil and then in towels. Place them in yeti cooler.

8 a.m. - Drive three hours.

11 a.m. Take them out of the cooler and into the oven to hit 165 internal temp.

Then rest and serve.

What y'all think of this plan?
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
RedKamado
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Ale Barleyman

I think that will work. Last weekend I cooked a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey till done on a reverse flow stick burner. I wrapped in foil and put into a Yeti cooler with a towel, 3 cooked turkey legs, some pork sausage, and a set of beef ribs. They say in the cooler for 3 hours, transported to a new location, and where steaming hot when pulled out to eat. One recommendation, I preheated the cooler by pouring in a pot of boiling water. Water sat in the cooler for an hour. Drained the water just before adding my hot meat. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125799699_2925918430971330_8741365388447761962_n.jpg (75.0 KB, 85 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
redhawk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKamado View Post
I think that will work. Last weekend I cooked a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey till done on a reverse flow stick burner. I wrapped in foil and put into a Yeti cooler with a towel, 3 cooked turkey legs, some pork sausage, and a set of beef ribs. They say in the cooler for 3 hours, transported to a new location, and where steaming hot when pulled out to eat. One recommendation, I preheated the cooler by pouring in a pot of boiling water. Water sat in the cooler for an hour. Drained the water just before adding my hot meat. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. I've done stuff like this with brisket and no problem keeping it hot for hours, but never with poultry. Guessing with the thermal mass of the turkey it will keep hot similar to a brisket. Think I'm going to cook it all the way and not even worry about reheating. I'll have my meater probe in so can monitor temps during the drive.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Wrapped in towels than into a yeti cooler, you will be just fine. Those yetis are great little boxes
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

It'll definitely hold its temp where you can eat later time but the problem... that skin's going to be very soggy.
mph33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
wbratt1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I've struggled hitting 350 in my WSMs using the minion method. If you've been successful, ignore my comment. If not, you may want to try the standard method. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbratt1 View Post
I've struggled hitting 350 in my WSMs using the minion method. If you've been successful, ignore my comment. If not, you may want to try the standard method. Good luck!
Just pour a full chimney full of charcoal on top of unlit basket and there's your 350°

Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
Jokerswild
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Joker

Take the smoker WITH! do it there.. drink beer outside while u cook. Drink beer outside while you clean up. Avoid the family BS entirely.
Jokerswild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
redhawk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerswild View Post
Take the smoker WITH! do it there.. drink beer outside while u cook. Drink beer outside while you clean up. Avoid the family BS entirely.
Haha....best plan yet!

Old 11-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerswild View Post
That's exactly what I'm going to do. my family is about an hour away. No way in hell I would want to rush to their house with a cooked bird.