MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
Wazzufan88
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Todd
Default Charleston SC to Gettyburg BBQ

I will be retiring this summer after 30 years in law enforcement. The wife and I will be taking a 2 week trip from Charleston (4 nights) to Columbia SC (1 night) to Fayetteville NC (1 night) and then up to Richmond VA (4 nights). We will then spend a night near Sharpsburg Maryland before heading over to Gettysburg for 2-3 nights nights. It is my self described BBQ, beer, and history tour.

I would appreciate any insight to great BBQ joints or cool local breweries.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Charleston has some great places. Swig and Swine, Rodney Scotts, and Lewis are the ones I hear most about up here. Homeny Grill is a good non BBQ place . Up here in the Midlands there is Maurice Bessingers Piggy Park chain. Definitely not the best but they are everywhere. You also have some of the old-school families ' restaurants Sheelys, and Hudson's are pretty decent. Patattack lives on the outskirts of Charleston, pm him for the good local spots that us in the Midlands don't know about! Hope you enjoy your trip through my little state!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I would not miss Maurice's in Columbia. They are not all the same. Some just reheat the food. I think my favorite that I tried was on Devine St.

Looks like you'll be missing Lexington BBQ, which would be one of my other recommendations. Going north from Fayetteville, I would hit the original Q Shack in Durham. It is Texas style BBQ (not local). They have good ribs and brisket. Their cobb salad is excellent if you're into that sort of thing. Best side is their spinach in my opinion, but others like the okra and mac and cheese. Only go to the Original Q Shack on University:
http://www.theqshackoriginal.com/

In Richmond, I enjoy Q BBQ. I like the ribs, pulled pork and chicken. The brisket usually is not so good. Pineapple hot dish is one that people love or hate. I love it. It's very sweet.
https://qbarbeque.com/

There isn't a whole lot in Sharpsburg. A couple times we stayed at a B&B that is a farm and was around during the Civil War. The ladies who ran the place had some great stories, especially about the armies waiting it out on their farm after the battle ended. We enjoyed it enough to go back a second time:
https://elmwoodfarmbandb.com/about-the-farm/

Ate BBQ that was cooked in a parking lot one afternoon just near the center of town and it was pretty good.
We had an excellent meal at 28 South in Hagerstown, which isn't too far away.
http://28south.net/

At Gettysburg we always stay at Swope Manor. Again, a B&B. Breakfast is one of the best we've had at any B&B. The house was around during the war and the hostess dresses in period outfits and is a wealth of information. We could listen to her for hours just talking about the history of the house. Yes, and she also knows a lot about other things also. They have special events for holidays, dinners and such. The house is beautiful and this time of year, it is virtually empty. They have a library, bake cookies for you in the afternoon, coffee, tea, etc. It's really lovely place to stay.
http://theswopemanor.com/

For food, we love Food 101 (it's about two blocks from the center, a 10 minute walk from Swope Manor). There also is an Irish Pub across the street that is good for drinks and dinner. Dobbin House Tavern was good, but not as memorable as the other two, although the building is beautiful.

There are a number of other restaurants in town (especially right on the main square), but they seemed a bit more generic.

There wasn't a whole lot in the way of BBQ in that area. We have stopped at 3Hogs BBQ in Hanover. Liked the BBQ eggrolls. The food is twisted. You can check out some of the pictures and see what you think.
https://www.facebook.com/3hogsbbq/
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
Wazzufan88
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Todd

Thanks Gore and Blythewood!! Those sound like some great selections. We won't be travelling until late summer but trying to plan a bit.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I have a buddy that went to ZZQ in Richmond and he said it was really good. I've been to Lewis BBQ in Charleston a couple of times and it's decent. The brisket and sausage are very good.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
jhwhite
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I have a buddy that went to ZZQ in Richmond and he said it was really good. I've been to Lewis BBQ in Charleston a couple of times and it's decent. The brisket and sausage are very good.
I live in Richmond and ZZQ is AWESOME. They were mentored by Lewis BBQ in Charleston.

I think ZZQ has better brisket, but Lewis has better sides.

I'm going back to Charleston this Summer and I want to go to Rodney Scott.

I'm not a big fan of Q in Richmond. Seems more like fast food bbq. Buzz and Ned's in Richmond is ok.

There's Barbecue Exchange an hour or two outside of Richmond in Orange County VA that is really good.

About 45 minutes west of Richmond in Charlottesville is a place called Ace BBQ. They're hit or miss. When they opened you would get this HUGE bowl of bbq and sides. Last time I went the food was dry and not big portions.
jhwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwhite View Post
I live in Richmond and ZZQ is AWESOME. They were mentored by Lewis BBQ in Charleston.

I think ZZQ has better brisket, but Lewis has better sides.

I'm going back to Charleston this Summer and I want to go to Rodney Scott.

I'm not a big fan of Q in Richmond. Seems more like fast food bbq. Buzz and Ned's in Richmond is ok.

There's Barbecue Exchange an hour or two outside of Richmond in Orange County VA that is really good.

About 45 minutes west of Richmond in Charlottesville is a place called Ace BBQ. They're hit or miss. When they opened you would get this HUGE bowl of bbq and sides. Last time I went the food was dry and not big portions.
I'm not a fan of Buzz and Ned's. I tried it once and food was disappointing and thought I'd been taken to the cleaners. Will second BBQ Exchange in Gordonsville. Pitmaster is CIA trained and it shows. Food is excellent. Since you're headed north, it'll be a lot faster going that way to avoid DC traffic.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote