preparing peppers for chili

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I like to roast my peppers when making chili, but the smaller ones like jalapenos turn to mush when I try to peel them. More pepper sticks to the skin than not. Can I just grind them and saute them with the onion & garlic? Will the skin be tough?

Or, a better way?

Whenever I have roasted peppers, I have good luck with charring them and then immediately put them in a ziplock bag or a tightly sealed bowl and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Skin will usually peel right off with no pepper stuck to it

Jalapenos are pretty thin skinned (unlike poblanos), just roast them and do not bother peeling is my $0.02.

Whenever I have roasted peppers, I have good luck with charring them and then immediately put them in a ziplock bag or a tightly sealed bowl and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Skin will usually peel right off with no pepper stuck to it

I do that too. It works with poblanos and bells but the little guys shrivel and there's not much left.

Fire roasted peppers are the BEST! I hit mine with a weed burner til the skin bubbles and blisters,turns black in most places,toss in a ziplock for a while,peel off what skin is easy to remove and use them.A little char left on the peppers is a good thing.

I don't bother roasting or peeling, cut into chunks then into the food processor for a spin. I usually like to use 4-5 different kinds of peppers.

I don't bother roasting or peeling, cut into chunks then into the food processor for a spin. I usually like to use 4-5 different kinds of peppers.
I'm with you, except for the food processor. 4-5 kinds of peppers hand cut...taste testing each to check the heat levels to see what you've got. All raw peppers and other ingredients (including raw onion and garlic) go into the pot with browned meat at the same time.

Sauteed veggies don't get it for me in a chili. The peppers lose their color and crunch. All thrown into the pot raw comes out like chili nirvana to me no matter how many hours/days it's on the stove.

I'm with you, except for the food processor. 4-5 kinds of peppers hand cut...taste testing each to check the heat levels to see what you've got. All raw peppers and other ingredients (including raw onion and garlic) go into the pot with browned meat at the same time.
Oh, I taste the peppers while I'm chunking them. That's how I judge how much of which of the spicy peppers to add. I like a chili spicy enough so that you know it's a chili, but not so hot that you can't eat an entire bowl without having to stop to take a drink to cool things off.

Onions & garlic I throw in the pan when I'm browning the meat.

Chili is typically an impulsive decision, so I usually cheat with what's onhand:
81GJ3KYFgGL._SX385_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX385SY471SH20_.jpg

I like to roast my peppers when making chili, but the smaller ones like jalapenos turn to mush when I try to peel them. More pepper sticks to the skin than not. Can I just grind them and saute them with the onion & garlic? Will the skin be tough?

Or, a better way?

I use both jalapenos and poblanos in my chili and the skin is not an issue at all.

Back