Issues with mac and cheese.

This is a deviation from the traditional bechemel approach but it makes a superb mac and cheese:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html
This is a stovetop recipe, but if you must make baked, just dump the finished recipe on a baking dish then toss panko and butter together and spread on top. Bake at 350 until the top is browned.

I was going to suggest this one too. Cast iron on the grill might work!

I'm on the opposite side of the coin from most of you guys. I don't like creamy, pot stirred mac & cheese. I like the baked, egg custard type. It's drier & you cut it with your fork. It's what I call "real" mac & cheese since that's what all the grandma-types made out in the country where I grew up.

My wife also happens to like the baked type...and that's how they make it where she's from in the Caribbean. They call it macaroni pie.

Same here Cook! I love the casserole type and that is what I make. BUT I've never met a mac n cheese I didn't like!

How do you keep it creamy? I've made some & taken it to work a few times, but without fail once it starts cooling off a bit, forget it. I've tried a number of recipes, but have since stopped bringing it in.

I assume I probably need to get a chafer or something to keep it extra hot?

Last edited:
Well, on the one in my picture I was real careful to stop cooking the sauce as soon as all the cheeses were melted. I also was very conscious of stirring it so that nothing ever stuck to the bottom of the pot. When I put it in the pan, there was an insane amount of sauce, and it was almost like mac and cheese soup. My sister-in-law blamed overcooking/sticking to the pot on her issues last week, so I was trying to avoid that on mine.

You do make a good point about skipping the baking. I just wanted to pull off a 'smoked mac' but, a good mac trumps a split smoked one, I guess.

I think the best way to add smoke to mac and cheese is from cold smoked cheese melted in. Now im not a fan of smoked cheese so that's all moot for me.

Ive seen creamy casserole style. Just plan ahead dont reduce the white sauce under cook noodles ect. Some, as stated, dont even use a sauce base. Its all personal preference, from sauce to egg. Stovetop or baked. Mix ins, toppings, cheese blends...milk, cream...noodle type. Mac and cheese is an artform indeed.

A few notes from my failures.

Blend cheese grated from blocks. Mild cheddar melts better than sharp. Some cheeses melt better than others, 50/50 mild cheddar pepper jack w/a dollop of cream cheese is a good start.

Dont let the sauce boil. I like 1:1 flour fat, tbs each per 1 cup of dairy. Melt cheese in slowly.

Add on mix ins and noodles til warmed. If you want crispy topping place in casserole dish or individual containers top and put in the broiler.

:yo:

might want to make sure you have your rue where the flour is cooked and lumps out of it once you add the milk or cream I use a slotted spatula to stir the sauce before adding cheese to get the lumps out as it thickens also may try touch more milk or cream might help

Last edited:
My three things: 1. don't use pre-grated cheese, grate your own. Pre-grated has starch on it (which a little is actually good for melting) but it also has some weird anti-caking agents that make it tend to break. 2. Evaporated milk. 3. Little bit of corn starch.

Google a recipe that has evaporated milk and you will end up with what you are looking for.

In the top photo, the cheese looks like it has been overheated, and has broken down.
It won't stick to the mac.

In the bottom photo, it looks like you have either added egg to your mix, the roux was not fully cooked, and has clumped up, or you have some other additive in the mix.

Tell me about the cheese(s) you are using. Are they block? Grated?
What is the cheese to mac ratio?
Are you using a roux/bechamel sauce to bind the cheese? What are those ratios?
What liquid are you using? Whole/Skim/Non-Fat? How much?

My three things: 1. don't use pre-grated cheese, grate your own. Pre-grated has starch on it (which a little is actually good for melting) but it also has some weird anti-caking agents that make it tend to break. 2. Evaporated milk. 3. Little bit of corn starch.

Google a recipe that has evaporated milk and you will end up with what you are looking for.

In the top photo, the cheese looks like it has been overheated, and has broken down.

In the bottom photo, it looks like you have either added egg to your mix, the roux was not fully cooked, and has clumped up, or you have some other additive in the mix.

This is getting technical now, I’ll just lay back and learn. I’ve had Smokin John’s
Mac n Cheese and I’d say he’s whisperer.

I was going to suggest this one too. Cast iron on the grill might work!

I've tried that recipe (was testing a cold cheese dip recipe), minus the American Cheese (hamburgers, yes. mac and cheese, no). It is creamy, but if you aren't careful, the milk/egg mix can become scrambled eggs.

I saw a similar recipe just using cornstarch and evaporated milk. It too is creamy, but it was a little too creamy for my tastes.

I must say, this discussion (and thousands like it) is the reason they invented the Internet. Thanks everyone.

So many great options! Thank you to everyone, I have plenty to try now.

I did add egg to that. I think 3 of them. It was a recipe my sister said she uses with her kids, and we figured it was no fail. I felt horrible buying the ingredients in the store, but sure assured me it had worked great for her. That one used shredded cheddar cheese, sliced american cheese, and cheeze whiz. It also had Evaporated milk and sour cream in there.

The previous time I made it, with very similar results I had hand grated everything from a block. I used all full fat liquids. I really can't recall the ratio of sauce to mac.

So many great options! Thank you to everyone, I have plenty to try now.

I did add egg to that. I think 3 of them. It was a recipe my sister said she uses with her kids, and we figured it was no fail. I felt horrible buying the ingredients in the store, but sure assured me it had worked great for her. That one used shredded cheddar cheese, sliced american cheese, and cheeze whiz. It also had Evaporated milk and sour cream in there.

The previous time I made it, with very similar results I had hand grated everything from a block. I used all full fat liquids. I really can't recall the ratio of sauce to mac.

O.k.

You should probably change a few things at a time.

I would create two halves of your recipe.

In both, ditch the eggs. That should change the texture.

On one half, replace the american cheese and cheese whiz with monterey jack.

On the other half, replace the american cheese and cheese whiz with monterey jack, and remove the sour cream.

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009/10/mac-n-cheese.html

is the recipe I have used since I first started making Mac n Cheese out on the Bubba Keg some 7 or 8 years ago. It gets rave reviews and constant requests from family members as well as any gatherings I've brought it to. If I don't make it I am guaranteed to have some very unhappy guests.

I do change up the recipe a bit. I've never used the Sherry (someday perhaps I will). I use blocks of whatever cheeses I feel like using, have never used Gruyere or Gouda. It's usually white cheddar, yellow cheddar, pepper jack, Colby, etc. And except for the first time I made it, I usually eyeball the amount.

My recipe is never ever consistent as far as the selected cheeses, it's all based on what I'm in the mood for. But I always grate it and never add the cheese to the pan of Bechamel. I always add the Bechamel to the cheese.

As far as the Bechamel, I normally use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of half and half, the rest being milk - in an effort to reduce calories (yeah, right.)

It's always baked uncovered in the Lodge CI Dutch Oven on the grill. Once in a rare while it's been baked in the oven but this deserves to be made out on the Kamado.

One other thing - the Plowboys ALWAYS is used.

I honestly think my family would mutiny if I tried any other recipe.

-lunchman

I get creamy mac and cheese every time. My secret for my rue is to use half and half. It's the perfect combo of richness but thin enough for creamy. I also add a cup of chicken stock to the rue for added richness/flavor.

If you mix your rue correctly, it doesn't matter if you use store shredded cheese or fresh grated, you're getting creaming mac and cheese.

Back