• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I Have A Chance To Buy Custom Shirley Fab Wheels - Questions

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been in talks with forum member SudsandSwine about purchasing his custom wheels off his Shirley Fabrication Patio smoker that he just recently turned into a trailer. Just wanted to see if anyone has changed wheels on their Shirley smoker?

I guess my first question would be if this would be even possible to switch over to Shirley Fabrication custom wheels with a rotated firebox?

My second question would be is changing out the hubs. My current hub has 5 lugs. I'd need to change it to a 4 lug hub for these style wheels. Any recommendations for hubs or anything I need to look for? Or even possible to switch out hubs?

Just wanted to see if anyone has changed out wheels on theirs before. Thanks for the help!

My current wheels:

SudsandSwine wheels:

If I'm seeing the picture correctly your hubs look like 5 lug hubs and the custom wheels appear to be 4 lug hubs? If that's the case you may have to change hubs or find some adapters?

It looks to be a 2.5" difference in diameter between my current wheels and Sudsandswine wheels. Mine being the smaller wheels. Which I believe would only push the new wheels 1.25" closer to the fire box. So clearance shouldn't be an issue with the turned fire box.

I guess the only other head scratcher is the hubs. I'm no mechanic. So now I need to figure out if the hubs are interchangeable so I could swap with a 4 stud hub. Anyone familiar with these types of hubs? Thanks!

I'm sure Paul will stop by when he gets a chance and have an answer for you.

If I'm seeing the picture correctly your hubs look like 5 lug hubs and the custom wheels appear to be 4 lug hubs? If that's the case you may have to change hubs or find some adapters?

I just saw your post. Yeah I think I'll need to switch out hubs. I've never switched out hubs before. I'd imagine there's some type of set standards with them and sizing. I've takes them apart before and regreased them but have never swapped them out. I just wonder if its as easy as it sounds or if it's going to be some crazy puzzle making everything work.

I'm sure Paul will stop by when he gets a chance and have an answer for you.

Hey thanks. I hate to be a thorn with them. I think I'm making my way. Just not sure a 100% yet about the hubs. I have the smoker up in my parents garage at the moment. I made a quick stop there this evening for some measurments. I'm just going off what I saw for a few minute's. I need to find a trailer and get the smoker back to my place. I'd be able to at least visually see what's going on and see what it takes to remove hubs and get some measurments.

I think i might have the cart before the horse at this point of time. Usually how it goes for me!

I just saw your post. Yeah I think I'll need to switch out hubs. I've never switched out hubs before. I'd imagine there's some type of set standards with them and sizing. I've takes them apart before and regreased them but have never swapped them out. I just wonder if its as easy as it sounds or if it's going to be some crazy puzzle making everything work.
I'm assuming both cookers are Shirleys. It looks like the carts they are mounted on are very similar. I'm guessing the hubs are the same size just a different # of lugs. It may be that easy just swapping them out. I would contact Shirley Fabrication just to be sure.

Wheels Really wheels

My concern would be how it cooks.....

tell him to get a brisket PRIME! cook it and then you taste to see if the smoker performs!

excellent pay full
good pay minus 20%
bad minus 50%

Nothing wrong with adding some show to your go :thumb:

Not really sure what to make with the rest of your post

I'm assuming both cookers are Shirleys. It looks like the carts they are mounted on are very similar. I'm guessing the hubs are the same size just a different # of lugs. It may be that easy just swapping them out. I would contact Shirley Fabrication just to be sure.

They are both Shirley smokers. I'm thinking I should be able to swap them out. Unless they have different size axles with different wheel setups. Hopefully they're universal from model to model

Wheels Really wheels

My concern would be how it cooks.....

tell him to get a brisket PRIME! cook it and then you taste to see if the smoker performs!

excellent pay full
good pay minus 20%
bad minus 50%

Not sure if this post was for this thread or not. Smoker is all good in the hood.

I have searched high and low to find a wheel adapter for a 5 lug to 4 and I cant seem to find them, as I was going to redo my shirley wheels. I had Paul make mine narrow to fit through our pool gate and now we moved and have a RV gate. Paul mentioned that swapping the hubs are the way to go. I have not done it yet, as I am lazy. SUDS do you have the hubs from the conversion?? or just the wheels??

Be aware of ths all the Axels we use now on our patio models are 3500#.... we use to use 2000#... but the price difference was not that much more to jump up to.3500# so we did.... to use golf cart wheels you will need a 4 on 4 bolt circle... the spindle size is different
On a 3500# axel and a 2000#.... I say this also....we use to buy end units and make our own axels..I would check the spindle size to see if they will be able to be swapped.... I say if someone wants to upgrade their wheels to have more bling... do it... I mean you earned that money I’m sure..... will it cook different no.... it will look cooler tho..... to each his own..... Tyler drives a 70,000$ Ford F-350 diesel dually.... I drive a 2010 tundra....... cause that is
What I like.... if you earn it spend it the way u want....

I have searched high and low to find a wheel adapter for a 5 lug to 4 and I cant seem to find them, as I was going to redo my shirley wheels. I had Paul make mine narrow to fit through our pool gate and now we moved and have a RV gate. Paul mentioned that swapping the hubs are the way to go. I have not done it yet, as I am lazy. SUDS do you have the hubs from the conversion?? or just the wheels??

I remember looking at one point in the past if there was an adapter of some sort. I couldn't come up with anything. I wish thy had something simple like that.

Be aware of ths all the Axels we use now on our patio models are 3500#.... we use to use 2000#... but the price difference was not that much more to jump up to.3500# so we did.... to use golf cart wheels you will need a 4 on 4 bolt circle... the spindle size is different
On a 3500# axel and a 2000#.... I say this also....we use to buy end units and make our own axels..I would check the spindle size to see if they will be able to be swapped.... I say if someone wants to upgrade their wheels to have more bling... do it... I mean you earned that money I’m sure..... will it cook different no.... it will look cooler tho..... to each his own..... Tyler drives a 70,000$ Ford F-350 diesel dually.... I drive a 2010 tundra....... cause that is
What I like.... if you earn it spend it the way u want....

Thank you. I appreciate the info! I hear you about the trucks. I have a 11 year old Ford Ranger with no options and in manual transmission. It's my second Ford Ranger. Stick with what you like. My other car is a rusty crusty Chevy Lumina. It's a complete eyesore. My mother-in-law was going to junk it. I was able to fix it for cheap. Motor and transmission are still good yet. I don't give a d*mn attitude when driving it is great. Park it where ever you want. No worries about door dings. Throw lumber across the hood and use it as a work bench. It has backseats. So I don't feel guilty putting some nice wheels on a smoker. To be fair, the smoker is the most deserving of custom wheels of anything I own! :-D

Back