MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
RatSass
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer review

I have had 4 Thermapens the last few years and love them. Gave the two older ones away and replaced 2 with the newer versions.

Own a Dot and love it- gave two of them as gifts and both guys absolutely love them. Only problem is the displays blackout if they get hot.

I bought a ThermaQ a short while ago and it's pretty good. Doesn't blackout if it gets hot but I am NOT happy with the air temp Type K probe.

Just got the Smoke and like it. I also have the ThermaQ so I'll compare the two.

Like the Smoke (99 bucks). Liked the ThermaQ (200 bucks)

ThermaQ is virtually the same as the Smoke without the remote reading feature. The Q uses the Type K thermocouples which I thought would be badass. The air probe on it is PAINFULLY slow and can't keep up with changing temps. When I'm bringing my Pint up to temp it lags WAY behind reporting the current temp. That sucks. It eventually catches up after about ten minutes once the temp stabilizes.

The Smoke air probes are the Pro-Series and it is fast.

I wish the Smoke remote showed the same info as the base (High-Low). It doesn't. I wish the Smoke remote had a stand like the base- it doesn't so you have to wear it around your neck or leave it lying flat.

Thermoworks SAYS they're coming out with the Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi) & Smartphone App next year. That will be a huge plus! I will be front of the line to order that.

Bottom line is I like the Smoke and wish I had my 200 bucks back I spent on their ThermaQ. I see ZERO advantage to the ThermaQ at twice the price, and it doesn't have the remote or the potential for the WiFi and App later.

I'd say buy it.

Anybody want a lightly used ThermaQ with meat and air probes for about half price?

Thanks to another poster- found this Husky storage box at Home Depot. It still has room to store my Dot thermometer and two more probes. Also the little cable clamps were from HD for about 79 cents each- solved another old problem.

Last edited by RatSass; 11-17-2016 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Add photos
RatSass is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Thanks for the review! I really like my Smoke as well.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the review. I have really enjoyed my Smoke. I agree about wanting to have a stand for the remote. The lanyard around the neck works pretty well but there are times I want to just put it on a table next to me and glance at the temps without having to pick it up.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
TheHojo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ted

Any issues getting either the probe or the plug thru a grommet - - appears both ends are larger than the maverick probe - ?

Thank you
Johnson Smoker Compact Ultimate Patio - retired
Brinkmann Stillwater - retired
Old Smokey 18'' - retired[/FONT]
TheHojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Ham14
Take a breath!

Thanks for the review. I plan on one sometime soon. Christmas is coming up soon

Old 11-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

It's a tight fit on my Yoder to get probes through grommet. I have to actually remove inside of grommet to get it through

Old 11-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
RatSass
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Grommet

I don't use grommets. Or the probe ports on my smoker. I just shut the door on the smoker over my cables (Humphrey's Pint).
RatSass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm so close to biting on this. Is it worth almost double the money of the TP20 model I see on amazon?
HabitualSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Considering this is the same price as the Thermapen® Mk4 it seems like a pretty good deal. Thanks for the review.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

It's awesome!
I love mine. Worth every penny.

Figured out a workaround for the stand.

Last edited by SirPorkaLot; 05-06-2021 at 10:28 AM..
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Inthewoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
It's awesome!
I love mine. Worth every penny.

Figured out a workaround for the stand.
lol now there ya go!

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok ok I ordered

I'm getting sick of my cheapy $20 Maverick thermometer, starting not to trust it much anymore. Hopefully this is the last one I have to order for some time! Early Christmas coming my way in 3-5 business days!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
cheez59

Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing the Smoke since it came out. My Maverick still works but it a serious battery eater and I don't fully trust it. I reckon I'll have to see about ordering one.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

I currently have a thermoworks dot. Should my next purchase be the smoke or thermapen. I do lots of overnight smokes on my traeger.
electron_si is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Electron si, I would get the smoke since you already have the dot. Which leads to my next question, what's the big difference in performance between the dot and thermapen?

Now that I've purchased the smoke (can't wait to use it ) I'm figuring on getting a thermapen next, but if a dot can give a quick and accurate reading then what's the attraction toward spending the extra 50-70 bucks?