New pit

jrbuilder

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I may have a crazy idea and wanting to find out how crazy it is. Working on designing a new pit. This pits purpose would be to be able to cook multiple whole hogs. Wanting to build it as a reverse flow smoker. It would be 8ft wide with a firebox the same width. That way for a 16 foot smoker i could do i figure 4 maybe 5 hogs at a wack. Penny for your thoughts?

I have no idea on whether or not that would work, but I would love to see something like that in action! I can’t imagine you would have that many occasions where you need to cook 5 whole hogs, but still.

Put in a big carousel, sounds like a lot of engineering though.

Your address says Illinois, but your heart must be in Texas, wanting to go that big. I won't say it's impossible, but something like that would certainly be impressive.

Put in a big carousel, sounds like a lot of engineering though.

Great idea! Quite a long time ago, my dad got a couple of racks from a disassembled rotisserie oven in a commercial bakery that were 4 or 5 feet long and 1 1/2 or 2 feet wide. I wanted to design a grill with one but never got around to it. Anyway, a rotisserie type pit that had racks like that would be a good way to mass-produce whole, smoked hogs. But it still may be easier to make it longer, like you plan?

Sounds crazy but I'm always interested in some different types of pits. What's your plan in terms of height versus width? Are you planning on doing 5 racks tall, or 2 racks super wide / deep?

I've got a "hog style" smoker that does 2 whole hogs...about 175Lb on the bottom rack and about a 125 hog on the top rack. Doing 5 racks you'd need the cooker to be at least 10' tall making it an absolute pain in the butt to operate. I would imagine that going deep and wide, cabinet style would be your best bet. 3 vertical racks deep enough to do 2 hogs on each rack might work.

Good luck with the build!

It will be a tall smoker but for use it will have knee outs that get put on once hauled where it needs set up. Additionally over the fire box there would be 2 cabinet smokers. Currently figuring on a firebox 8 foot wide 4 foot deep and 2 foot tall, with a 8 inch ash pit below the grate. The way i have it pictured in my head is one firebox with dual fires. 2 openings into the cook chamber hitting the baffle plate at shoulders and hams then dispersed from there. Part of this design is of course is wow factor for events.

That would be one big pit. The biggest problem I see with it would be even temps across the pit. If you need to rotate meats, that's gonna be a pain.

Am thinking that some angle iron on the bottom of the baffle plate. Each opening to the firebox would have one on each side. Thus focusing the heat stream down the length of the baffle. Also considering making the baffle 3/8 inch instead of 1/4.

Back