May 4, 2024 SouthEast Bash Invitation post, Lebanon, Tn.

Just thought of something, there should be billions of cicadas from two broods coming up after 17 years underground. Should I catch a bunch and we can BBQ them? :brick:

The Texas Bash is a month before ours, I think we should let them have first crack.

Official Texas recipe for doves, quail, ducks, etc (figure cicadas have wings so this should apply) is marinate meat in Italian dressing and wrap it in bacon with a slice of jalapeno. Apply rub and grill until bacon is done.

Official Texas recipe for doves, quail, ducks, etc (figure cicadas have wings so this should apply) is marinate meat in Italian dressing and wrap it in bacon with a slice of jalapeno. Apply rub and grill until bacon is done.
According to the googles, cicadas are actually related to shrimp, crab & lobster. If you're allergic to shellfish, don't eat cicadas. Who knew.

Guess you should blanch them right away to kill any microbes, then cook as you like. Thinking Malort marinated cicada skewers might work. :behindsofa:

ratio3x2_960.jpg

According to the googles, cicadas are actually related to shrimp, crab & lobster. If you're allergic to shellfish, don't eat cicadas. Who knew.

Guess you should blanch them right away to kill any microbes, then cook as you like. Thinking Malort marinated cicada skewers might work. :behindsofa:

ratio3x2_960.jpg

From the size of their abdomen I think the shrimp devaing tool will not work to well. Lots of protein though. Like the cricket burgers they are pushing now.

Last edited:
There are a few committed attendees but we have room for plenty more. Please consider attending as this is a great way to put faces with the names of the fine folks that you share a passion for BBQ with. The planning post and the sign up sheet are at the bottom in my signature line. I've always had a great time at every one that I have attended and I have no doubt that the brethren already signed up will make sure that this is one for the ages.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new friends!

Looks like Dorothy and I may be able to make it. My tentative retirement date is May 24, and I will have some use or lose vacation days before then. Couldn't think of a better way to use them!

Looks like Dorothy and I may be able to make it. My tentative retirement date is May 24, and I will have some use or lose vacation days before then. Couldn't think of a better way to use them!

That sounds great! It'll be good to see you guys again.

We are about a month away, so if any of you are free that weekend, we would love to have you in attendance.

Phillip, you are in deep trouble if you are asking me for technical/computer assistance. I literally celebrate whenever I can find the power button.

Anyone know what's happening in Nashville that weekend? Hotel prices are insane. Looks to be about triple the normal rates. Might not be visiting Nashville after all. Might stop in Louisville for a couple days instead.

Back