Ground beef prices easing up?

Odd how it’s so regional - we are back to normal here in KC. I paid the lowest for brisket that I have in quite awhile...just over $2.20 a pound. Pork is back to normal too...$1.08/lb for bone in butts. Cut steaks are up slightly from pre-rona, but not outside the “normal” range. I bought chuck roasts for $3.3x and ground it. This is all at Sam’s.

Sam's back to normal. Whole ribeye, choice, $8.99, Cheaper than before this started.

Prices on beef this week have returned to pre-virus levels, at least for the time being. It was nice to get some brisket for a change.

I bought a 2lb package of 80/20 fresh ground chuck for $4/lb yesterday morning. Most of the meat prices I saw i the store seemed to be about $1-$2/lb higher than what I would consider their normal prices though. Tri-Tip has gone from $4.49/lb pre-virus up to $6.99/lb currently, which annoys me terribly. They did look better then they have in the past though. Pork is just slightly higher than pre-virus prices at the same store. Chicken is sitting at maybe $.10/lb higher than normal. What bothers me the most about the current shopping situation is the lack of sales on items I used to normally find on sale. Coffee for instance, I used to always be able to find some decent quality whole bean coffee for a great deal, now everything in the coffee section is full price.

Butts around here are still way high. I did pick up a chuck roast for $3.99/lb which is reasonable here. A lot of other meat is still pretty high though. Chicken still surprises me with all the commercial chicken houses and the huge processor about 30 miles away. However, the county the chicken processor is in has a huge Coronavirus outbreak raging right now.

A lot of the local stores can't find employees right now because of the $600/wk plus up to unemployment. While well-intentioned, the 'help' is preventing a lot of businesses from reopening totally separate from any health concerns. This is affecting local meat prices too!

Pretty sure that gov add on money ended the 25th I read. coarse somebody is trying to extend it

Odd how it’s so regional - we are back to normal here in KC. I paid the lowest for brisket that I have in quite awhile...just over $2.20 a pound. Pork is back to normal too...$1.08/lb for bone in butts. Cut steaks are up slightly from pre-rona, but not outside the “normal” range. I bought chuck roasts for $3.3x and ground it. This is all at Sam’s.

^^^^^^^^This above show what competition does for prices. I live 4 hours south of KC and about 20 miles south of Walmart and Sam's corporate headquarters. As a result, there is no real competition. Besides WM Supercenters and Sam's, there is no national chain in the area. There is one small regional grocery, a few Aldi's, one Whole Foods, one Fresh Market and a couple of mom and pop shops. At Sam's yesterday the brisket was $2.78 choice, $2.98 for prime. Got a really nice looking 20 lb prime. Chuck Roast back to pre-virus price at $4.98 after topping out at $7.98. Found a couple of reduced chuckies at $3.74. IIRC Butts were $1.78 and Spares were $2.98. Something new that showed up is pre-seasoned St. Louis spares. Did not look at the price because of no interest but noted they had so many they were in three different spot in the coolers.

Only other price I noted was beef ribs cut flanken style at $6.99. Do no recall pre-virus price. Bone marrow is always black which is kind of a turn off for me and for some reason never see a yellow tag even though there is always an abundance in the meat case.

Robert

Last edited:
Costco near me (Independence, MO) has had jack and $h*t in their meat cases the last few times I've been in and has been higher priced than the local grocery stores... in fact, one of the cases was turned into a fruit and vegetable display because they've been so poorly stocked.
However, Price Chopper and Hy-Vee seem to be getting pretty close to normal on pricing and supply lately.

I'll try hitting up Costco again this weekend (need a restock on paper products and coffee anyways) and see what they have going on.

I haven't been to Kroger this week but last week their prices were insane.

I have an Edward's Cash Saver just down the road from Kroger and their prices have never spiked like Kroger. Likewise the neighborhood meat shop hasn't bent us over.

I picked up a choice packers cut brisket from Kroger yesterday @ $2.49/lb. also I picked up 20lbs of 80/20 from Restaurant Depot @ $2.19/lb.

Costco near me (Independence, MO) has had jack and $h*t in their meat cases the last few times I've been in and has been higher priced than the local grocery stores... in fact, one of the cases was turned into a fruit and vegetable display because they've been so poorly stocked.
However, Price Chopper and Hy-Vee seem to be getting pretty close to normal on pricing and supply lately.

I'll try hitting up Costco again this weekend (need a restock on paper products and coffee anyways) and see what they have going on.

Highly recommend you check out Sams, I go to the Independence or lately the Raymore locations. You can usually get a new member promo where the membership is free or almost after freebies.

A lot of the local stores can't find employees right now because of the $600/wk plus up to unemployment.

Federal unemployment insurance has been extended to July 31st and May be extended beyond that if our situation continues its course.

I haven't been to Kroger this week but last week their prices were insane.

I have an Edward's Cash Saver just down the road from Kroger and their prices have never spiked like Kroger. Likewise the neighborhood meat shop hasn't bent us over.

I have mostly quit buying meat from Kroger. They always seem high, when they yellow tag something it seems close or a little above what it should be if it's fresh.

Local Sam's a few weeks back 90/10 in 10lb. tubes. 3.78 per lb.

Attachments

• hamburger.jpg
    hamburger.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 59
Highly recommend you check out Sams, I go to the Independence or lately the Raymore locations. You can usually get a new member promo where the membership is free or almost after freebies.

How is the Raymore store? I've been going down to Belton for most of my shopping lately (personal disagreement with current Jackson County rules) but I haven't checked out the Sams.

Our Price Chopper stores have Pork shoulders for $.99/lb right now. If my new fridge would get delivered, I'd go buy a few more. Last week I was able to get the 80/20 logs of ground beef for $1.99/lb. Not sure my cost of foodsaver bags/time offsets the savings, but it feels like it does?

Couple days ago, Northwest Indiana, Meijer. Had 80/20 deli ground for $1.99. Limit 2 packs of any size. Best I have seen in a while. Got 2 of the biggest family packs I could find and broke them down to freeze.

Bone in shoulders were 1.99 lb also. That was also some of the best prices Ive seen in some time. Bought 4.

Best I could find brisket packers was 4.99 lb. at Gordon food service. Had to buy one.

How is the Raymore store? I've been going down to Belton for most of my shopping lately (personal disagreement with current Jackson County rules) but I haven't checked out the Sams.

Our Price Chopper stores have Pork shoulders for $.99/lb right now. If my new fridge would get delivered, I'd go buy a few more. Last week I was able to get the 80/20 logs of ground beef for $1.99/lb. Not sure my cost of foodsaver bags/time offsets the savings, but it feels like it does?

Gonna find out tomorrow, wife said they had some briskets there reasonably priced the last time she was there. I would bet she could pick out a better brisket than 99% of most folks.....taught her well!:clap2:

They have about the same inventory you’d find at the Independence one, barring a couple weeks when the packing plants were shutting down they typically have everything. There was a time that prices were elevated to the point I was unwilling to pay for certain things (like $5/lb briskets or $7/lb chuck) but it’s pretty much back to normal price wise.

That one is technically closer to my house as well, but I too have been shopping solely in Cass lately. Also they have some pretty high end booze there that Independence does not, if you’re into that sort of thing. Im good with Wild Turkey myself :becky:

Back