Poll: What item disappoints you most often at BBQ Restaurants

What item disappoints you most often at a BBQ Restaurant?

• BBQ-Pulled Pork

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Brisket

Votes: 51 49.5%
  • Pork Ribs

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Sides

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Other--White bread?

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
The food, in general. All of it. I've been to some of the most suggested places in many cities, and often the green beans are the best. If I'm lucky, they have a good mac and cheese.

And in fairness, I have been to MANY good places across the country, in several different states, that put out top notch Q, so I'm not going to act like it's impossible. I think the biggest deal is that we as a group, have much higher standards than the general public.

Brisket.

Im extremely relaxed on most places brisket because I know what goes into making it good and keeping it at a high standard over the course of the day. Realistically most places arent doing Franklin Style or selling out each day, thats why him and a few others are rich/famous.

There is a place i go about once every month or two in a small town near the lake. They try and their primary sales is fried chicken. I like that alteast they have a real smoker (gas assist), and they give an option outside of the fried foods so it keeps me happy enough.

I've become a bit of BBQ snob when it comes to going out.

Minnesota isn't a BBQ hotbed. There are few places that do things well. Some of the places I like, many here would poo-poo on, which is fine. There are also places I used too like that now that my tastes evolved, I do not like anymore.

I have a hard time finding good brisket in MN, there are two places that I like in MN though (one is not traditional, they cheat and slice thin and drown in sauce, I know that is blasphemy, but I still like it). One of the places isn't serving brisket at the moment due to high beef prices...bastards

Ribs. I've had better ribs at the corporate restaurants than I've had at local BBQ joints. I think part of that is that small places have a hard time estimating how much they'll sell and the food gets reheated until it's dry and crappy. The corporate places (Applebees, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday) at least have fresh Q.

Some joints serve ribs that are tiny and fatty with no meat on the bones. I don't know how they stay in business.

There's only one BBQ joint in Connecticut that has outstanding Q: Fat Tommy's Smokehouse in New Milford. The wood fired cooker is out back and you can see and smell it when you walk in. Awesome sides too. But it's an hr and a half ride from me :sad:

I chose brisket because pretty much anytime I have ordered it, it tastes like steamed or braised roast beef and has no smoke flavor. I also judge a BBQ restaurant by their baked beans. If they taste like they are right out of a can, the rest of the food will taste like it had little effort put into it. If they are good or great, the rest of the food usually tastes like they are proud of what they serve.

BBQ sauce!

I tend to like my BBQ on the hot side (spice - not temp). Most of the sauce I have had labeled "Hot" (or whatever word they use to mean hot) is either not really hot or has heat and no flavor.

From personal experience around here, I never ever get a decent pork rib. Usually tastes like they were rapped in plastic, re-heated or held fore ever and cooked the day before. Or, just way too fall off the bone.
Brisket is hit or miss. Sometimes it’s decent and sometimes not...

I voted Brisket. Fortunately a couple of miles down the road from me is Schmidt Family BBQ owned by my buddy Chad Franks. You'll find nothing to complain about there. Chad's father in law is Don Schmidt of Kreuz Market. Chad has learned well.

Pretty much everything disappoints equally. What I find helps though even more than the house bbq sauce is a good IPA or 3

Ribs, hardly ever right. Not that they ain't good smoke or flavor wise, just bad off texture wise. There is one place back home that was worth what you paid. You had to get there early though, they sold out quick.
After learning how to cook for myself, it's hard to be impressed, especially at the price of bbq. Bread and pickles though, can't go wrong there.

I like my pork a lot! Pulled pork is frequently the disappointment for me. Dry and flavorless is usually my reason. That is kind of how I judge a place.

However, I have been VERY dissapointed by burnt ends at multiple establishments. One place I heard about them being great, then it had a person walking out saying "try the burnt ends".

Last edited:
Where is the “everything” button.

We had three really good Long standing bbq / soul food places near me and all three retired in the last 10-20 years. I don’t really like anything but the white bread in any of the bbq places that are open around here now, and most that do open only last a year or two before folding.

Most bbq joints around me are junk. The sides are usually better then the main dish. Brisket is always over salted, and pulled pork is covered in too much sweet sauce. Even a tri tip sandwich is smothered with bbq sauce. No meat taste. I’m venting a little, sorry

Back