Save your Old Bay container! Stores are out!

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
If you run out of Old Bay don’t toss the container.

We ran out of Old Bay while making shrimp today and went to the supermarket to get more.

I couldn’t find it anywhere. The person at the seafood section said they haven’t been able to get the “tins” of old bay for about 6 months but were able to get bulk boxes so they are selling it for $10 a pound.

I wound up getting 1/4 lb. I put it in the empty old bay container when I got home and updated the expiration date with a label maker.

Last edited:
I’ve never once purchased a tin of Old Bay. Now that I know that there is a potential shortage, well I have to find one-or two.

This place will do that to a person

It's a part of my beef rub recipe...Don't tell anyone...

Not sure if you are joking but if not, I bet it’s good!

There is a resturant in Granger Indiana Called Yesterday’s that uses Old Bay in their prime rib crust. It is really good. I don’t get out that way too often but when I do I always stop for a prime rib.

http://www.yesterdays-granger.com/

Last edited:
Tomorrow’s shopping list
Tin of Old Bay and bottle of Frank’s Hot Sauce-Chicken Thighs perhaps

Sounds like a plan buffalo chicken thighs with a sprinkling of Old Bay!

They don’t appear to be out of old bay, they just seem to be out of tins, which is what everyone stocks around here.

I just looked on Amazon and the tins are unavailable but the other sizes are In stock.

Tried to get old bay while we were in Virginia a couple weeks ago. Kroger manager said McCormack bought old bay. He estimated another six weeks before it would be back on the shelf.

Dollar General was well stocked. Also World Market shows regular and hot in stock. These are not metal containers-they’re plastic

Last edited:
Tried to get old bay while we were in Virginia a couple weeks ago. Kroger manager said McCormack bought old bay. He estimated another six weeks before it would be back on the shelf.

McCormick has owned old bay for like 30 years.

I havent noticed a lack of old bay on shelves here. I prefer JO #2 over old bay anyways.

Make your own:

1 tbsp. Celery Salt
2 tsp. Ground Bay Leaves
2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Ground Mustard
1/4 tsp. Allspice
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
1 pinch Ground Cinnamon
1 pinch Ground Nutmeg
1 pinch Ground Ginger

Yup, and the #1 use you forgot - steamed Blue Crabs!!

And that 24 oz. bottle you see listed for $33 - DON'T! It's like $6 or 8 at Costco.

That may have been intentional.

“ Those who know USE J.O.!”
J.O.#2 blend is just for crabs. It has flake salt and sticks to the crabs better.

I keep both in the house.

Last edited:
Crab ABT's with Old Bay - crab, cream cheese, whatever else cheese w/a little Old Bay, stuff a jalapeno, wrap w/bacon, hit with a little more Old Bay, smoke - great stuff! (I figure most folks are familiar the ABT process, but ya never know...)

I saw some Old Bay tater chips when I was East a while back & loved 'em.

Last edited:
Please, keep contacting McCormick and tell them you want your beloved tins.

One of our companies was one of their sources for the tins.

A lot of the mass production spice companies are going to the rounded package that either rolls down a shoot or gets pushed forward with a spring mechanism. Easier to not get stale dates spices that never get pulled forward on the shelf

Still have some black pepper business, and the tins for breath mints, show polish, and specialty gift packaging (Christmas nuts, cookies, etc), but the industry is on life support.

Back