• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked mash-potatoes with ribs

jaronimo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, have not posted pron in a while. Just finished eating some great ribs on my UDS. I was outside smoking a cigar with a beer and did not feel like going inside to make the mashed potatoes. then it hit me, wrap them in foil, smoke them, then mash them up.

Here they are on my offset smoker, the one on the left is a head of garlic with olive oil, because you have to have garlic in your mashed potatoes.

smokedtaters.jpg

Here is a shot of the ribs...
finishedribs.jpg

Here is the finished product...
dinner.jpg

The mashed potatoes had just the slightest smokey flavor. The smoked garlic head was a great addition. I also put a little sour cream, some Cuba cheddar cheese, a touch of milk, and salt and pepper into the taters. Not sure if I would say they are better than my normal taters, but then again I think my normal taters are pretty good.

At least it was a good excuse to keep smoking my cigar while I cooked.

Mmmm... looks danged tasty! :-D

Nice ribs! There is a current thread about how to tell when ribs are done. Your picture clearly shows how the meat pull back from the ends of the bones. Nice job!

I would most definitely crash that party if I lived closer.

Great looking meal. All this talk of potatoes tonite has put me in the mood...

:biggrin:
Ok, have not posted pron in a while. Just finished eating some great ribs on my UDS. I was outside smoking a cigar with a beer and did not feel like going inside to make the mashed potatoes. then it hit me, wrap them in foil, smoke them, then mash them up.

Here they are on my offset smoker, the one on the left is a head of garlic with olive oil, because you have to have garlic in your mashed potatoes.

smokedtaters.jpg

Here is a shot of the ribs...
finishedribs.jpg

Here is the finished product...
dinner.jpg

The mashed potatoes had just the slightest smokey flavor. The smoked garlic head was a great addition. I also put a little sour cream, some Cuba cheddar cheese, a touch of milk, and salt and pepper into the taters. Not sure if I would say they are better than my normal taters, but then again I think my normal taters are pretty good.

At least it was a good excuse to keep smoking my cigar while I cooked.

"At least it was a good excuse to keep smoking my cigar while I cooked"

Don't ya know that smoking will kill you !! :biggrin::biggrin:

Paul B

Lookin' good! I wonder how Idahos would do but not wrapped in foil, for maybe some twice cooked spuds?

I make a twice baked potato dish doing just that, smoking the potatoes. The dish is always quick to disappear when I make it.

I use 50% smoked potatoes and 50% boiled potatoes, sour cream, milk and butter to mash.

I make a half pound of brown sugar coated bacon (1/4 cup brown sugar sprinkled over the bacon and then baked in the over) to crumble into the mashed potatoes and add cheddar cheese to taste. Bake in an 350 or 375 degree oven to melt the cheese and set the dish.

Good stuff.

Lookin' good! I wonder how Idahos would do but not wrapped in foil, for maybe some twice cooked spuds?

I have not tried Idahos, these were Red new potatoes. I have not tried cooking them on the smoker without the foil, but will need to try it next time i fire it up.

I do a lot of sweet potatoes wrapped in foil when I grill on the Weber. They come out great. Don't need anything on them, just eat them raw without butter of that cinnamin sugar everybody uses at restaurants.

I make a twice baked potato dish doing just that, smoking the potatoes. The dish is always quick to disappear when I make it.

I use 50% smoked potatoes and 50% boiled potatoes, sour cream, milk and butter to mash.

I make a half pound of brown sugar coated bacon (1/4 cup brown sugar sprinkled over the bacon and then baked in the over) to crumble into the mashed potatoes and add cheddar cheese to taste. Bake in an 350 or 375 degree oven to melt the cheese and set the dish.

Good stuff.

Brown sugar coated bacon???

Everybody uses bacon to make things taste better, it never even crossed my mind that you could add ingredients to bacon to make bacon taste better. Genius. Pure genius.

Back