MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
ks77
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Kris
Default BBQ Newbie...here to make some like minded friends....

Hey Everyone!
.....I inadvertently stumbled down the rabbit hole that is all things BBQ so much so that I don't know where to start.....perhaps a little back story would probably be the best place to begin.....my wife is usally pretty good at gift giving and really knocked it out of the park this year at Christmas. I had a WSM18 wrapped and well next to tree this year however with it being so stinking cold this winter so far I haven't had a chance to even break this thing out. While I haven't had a chance to actually use it, I have been left with ample time to watch youtube vids about cooks, mods and all things BBQ.

I have made two minor mods to the smoker so far. I put the WSM on casters and I also upgraded the thermometer on the top. Additionally I have purchased way a few sauces/rubs/marinates from Kosmos Q and a Maverick wireless temp probe.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind....
1) Even after watching all of these videos I know I am going to have some really marginal cooks until I even remotely get the hand of things. Is there any thing you would recommend as far as types of meats to start with? I don't want to blow good money on a brisket and end up throwing it away because it isn't edible...lol.

2) What is the minimum temperature you would consider smoking at? Here in the NE its seems like its been colder than usual this winter.

Really appreciate the comments and I look forward to being an active member of the board!

Kris
ks77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pork butt is the cheapest and easiest - it’s pretty hard to mess up pulled or chopped pork.
I believe 275* is The Best BBQ Temp - although I usually cook 300 to 325*..........Because I started out I had several different cheap drafty charcoal smokers that would not hold 275 -they would blow right past it to 300-325-350* so that’s what I got used to.........And on my stick burners - the first few were smaller and I’m too lazy to cut down my splits - so I cooked 300 to 350*..........

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 03-04-2019 at 02:23 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
Smokingray
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Ray

Hi and welcome. I'm new to this forum as well, but not new to the WSM. The best first smokes will be ribs or pork shoulder. Ribs if you want a shorter smoke, or a shoulder if you want the full experience. It's hard to mess either up on a WSM.

As for minimum temp, I've dropped to 200 a few times with no problems....but it's best to try to keep it around 225 to 250. Even hotter seems to be the trend, but I haven't tried hot and fast yet.
Smokingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Pork butt is very easy, and a great place to start. I always considered ribs my favorite BBQ food, so I started with those. Much harder to tell when done than with the pork butt.

I have smoked as low as 11 degrees F outside. Wind is a bigger issue than just cold. People will commonly use welding blankets or wind breaks to surround the WSM to keep the temp stable in cold or windy weather.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

Welcome from SC. It’s really good to have you on this great site.

What is this like minded folk that you speak of? Once that you’ve been around here a while, you will realize that most BBQ folk have lost their minds a long time ago. If you are interested in like minded folk, I would suggest that you subscribe to “psycho monthly”.

Welcome, enjoy yourself, your WSM is a great unit to start on.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

You need to season it and get it dirty A fatty- AKA smoked sausage log- Jimmy Deans and Bob Evans are good Do one naked 1st- no bacon or stuff rolled up inside Its not that cold in PA
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
ks77
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
You need to season it and get it dirty A fatty- AKA smoked sausage log- Jimmy Deans and Bob Evans are good Do one naked 1st- no bacon or stuff rolled up inside Its not that cold in PA

You are right, it isn't that cold. Guess I figured it was too cold to smoke. I'm waiting for the temps to get in the upper 40s til I get out there and throw some meat on the WSM.

Phoenixville isn't too far away from the Lehigh Valley.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
ks77
Found some matches.

The consensus appears to be a pork butt, thats what I figured as well. Has anyone gotten meats from Sams? Any comments about the quality of their products?

Old 03-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Don't over think it. Buy some meat, smoke it, eat it.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Beer/Meat/Victory
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks77 View Post
The consensus appears to be a pork butt, thats what I figured as well. Has anyone gotten meats from Sams? Any comments about the quality of their products?

Sams is fine for meat. Just find the best marbling in whatever cut you choose. I smoke on a 22 WSM.

I’d say the biggest piece of advice I could offer is to not chase temps too much. For example If your goal is 250 but your WSM just wants to sit pretty at 280, just let it. Also don’t ever tell your wife what time dinner will be ready.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welocme to the asylum. You can check out anytime you like, but you can NEVER leave!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
SmittyJonz

I buy meat at Walmart, Sams, Kroger, Albertsons and HEB (Texas Only) - who ever has a Sale........

Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

The consensus is pork butt but you can get a 10lb bag of chicken quarters cheaper. I would (did) start with them and work your way up. 165 IT. The best part about this site is if you have a question it will almost always get answered by someone who's done it. Welcome aboard and good luck.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default IMnotalwaysHO

Since you are learning, start short. Chicken, or porksteaks or even a good meatloaf. I run my UDS around 280-290 and the food works out good. Figure out how to start a fire, shoot for a temperature (275 is a decent start) and how long to wait for the temperature to settle in. After you have that figured out, do a pork butt which is longer. Keep the temp the same, and just work on watching the cooker, to see how it acts for 8 to 10 hours cooking. When you get there, think about spending money on brisket.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #15
Zevon668
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Warren

I have cut my teeth on a WSM as well for the last 3 years and agree with all the suggestions above, and would only add chuck roast as something easy and affordable to learn/experiment with. I would also suggest that you look in too adding half inch gasket to improve the seal around the door and possibly the inside lip where the lid seats.
Welcome. If you have the bug for creative food and dialogue, you will love this place!

Ok Joe Bandera, 22"Weber Master Touch, 22” Weber OTS, 22” WSM, Mini WSM, Weber Smokey Joe,Heavily modified ECB, F-16 Greek rotisserie, Smoke Hollow combo.:hungry:

R.I.P. Benny The Blade.
We shared a passion for good food, good booze, good bullchit, and a disdain for stupid! You are missed:rockon:
Zevon668 is offline   Reply With Quote