Smoking Lamb

Pedro Wilkerson

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I wanted to try something new and bought a butterflied leg of lamb for the smoker today. What is the ideal internal temperature for it to become shreddable? I keep seeing the standard internal temps of of 135-170 degrees for the rare to well done ranges, but I am curious if it can support higher temperatures like pork shoulder and get into the 195-205 range. All of the recipes keep warning me that it will dry out, but if the fat starts rendering, I would think I'll be ok. Is that the case or would that only work with a fattier lamb shoulder? I'd be curious to hear the thought of someone more experienced in cooking lamb than myself. Thanks in advance.

You really are better off working with a shoulder for a pulled lamb

Honestly, your best bet is to follow what No.1 has done on this thread here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291616.

The "next time" buy a shoulder. Best advice is to always use a cut of meat to it's strengths. In this case with lamb as your first time you do not want to be in a position where you or your family do not like the results and you decide never to do it again.

Do it right the first time and then when you try a shoulder, the family will be looking forward to it from the results of your first successful effort.

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Very good advice above

Thanks for the call out Bill.

I agree with the shoulder comment.

If you are interested in a smoked leg of lamb instead of a grilled one like mine, go the reverse sear rout. Smoke it until 130-135F then put it over some coals to get a good crust. Hard to have bad lamb that way.

Good luck - looking forward to hearing what you do.

Back