My plan to trade in the Primo, was DENIED

bowhnter

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I don’t use the Primo as often as I should, and several years ago, I vowed not to just keep adding toys, but rather replace.
Primo XL sits on a built in ledge, which caused me a dilemma size wise. I couldn’t find a pellet cooker that would fit, that I didn’t need side or rear access to. I had eyes on a backwoods G2 as it would fit right in the space.

Anyway, my wife said “ no way you are selling the Primo, it’s been too good to us. We have the room, just get another” :shock: and who am I to argue the day before Mother’s Day.

So, back to the pellet smoker. I have decided that since I am adding to the arsenal, I am not going to break the bank. Originally thought vertical since I probably won’t use it as a grill...but what if I do want to...

I have read thru PatAttacks thread and others from last year, so many choices.

Right now I am leaning towards a Grilla Silverbac, US made, heavy duty, great reviews, 4 yr warranty, has enough room, looks like good customer service, etc.

I know, get a MAK, but I really don’t feel like spending that much money.

Is the smoke profile good, and is the wifi reliable? Those are musts, since I often throw something on and leave the house.

Any reason NOT to pull the trigger here?

Any reason NOT to pull the trigger here?

Please take this with a grain of salt as I’ve personally never cooked on one nor have I tasted food that came from one. I’ve heard people love it and people say not enough smoke. The amount of smoke is subjective to ones personal tastes, though so that’s a hard question to answer based on you and your family’s tastes. As far as WiFi or reliability, I haven’t heard or seen anyone have anything negative to say.

Grilla Grills is a US company but their products are made in China. They are very up-front about that. That said, I think they make a good product and hear they stand behind their stuff with phenomenal customer service. They have a Dallas showroom on I-35E just north of 635. It might be a worthwhile trip to go check them out in person and save a few bucks if you decide to buy one.

Right now I am leaning towards a Grilla Silverbac, US made, heavy duty, great reviews, 4 yr warranty, has enough room, looks like good customer service, etc.?

The Silverbac is made in China by the same folks who make Z Grills and several other brands' products, and used to make the China-made Traegers (not sure if this is still true).

I bought one for my son-in-law last year, and our experience should be a warning for all. Ordered the Alpha model. Received a crate marked Alpha with inspection initials on more than one side. Opened the crate and found a damaged, non-alpha model with the same inspection initials marked inside the hopper. Customer service was responsive but slow, and finally sent out a replacement unit. Still, it left a really bad taste in my mouth, so to speak, that this company could inspect, sign off on, box up, and ship a damaged unit that wasn't even the right model.

YMMV but that's my experience with those guys.

Grilla Grills is a US company but their products are made in China. They are very up-front about that. That said, I think they make a good product and hear they stand behind their stuff with phenomenal customer service. They have a Dallas showroom on I-35E just north of 635. It might be a worthwhile trip to go check them out in person and save a few bucks if you decide to buy one.

This^^^

do yer due diligence on a MAK ⭐

Last edited:
So, back to the pellet smoker. I have decided that since I am adding to the arsenal, I am not going to break the bank. Originally thought vertical since I probably won’t use it as a grill...but what if I do want to...

I know, get a MAK, but I really don’t feel like spending that much money.

Since you don't want to spend that much on a MAK, then I won't suggest an FEC-100. :loco: But one of the Cookshack pellet grills may work for you. Hand made in Ponca City OK. PG-500 is un-insulated, PG-1000 is insulated.

I could have swore I seen made in USA, thanks for the correction. I did see they are close enough to me to go check out in person.

The Silverbac is made in China by the same folks who make Z Grills and several other brands' products, and used to make the China-made Traegers (not sure if this is still true).

I bought one for my son-in-law last year, and our experience should be a warning for all. Ordered the Alpha model. Received a crate marked Alpha with inspection initials on more than one side. Opened the crate and found a damaged, non-alpha model with the same inspection initials marked inside the hopper. Customer service was responsive but slow, and finally sent out a replacement unit. Still, it left a really bad taste in my mouth, so to speak, that this company could inspect, sign off on, box up, and ship a damaged unit that wasn't even the right model.

YMMV but that's my experience with those guys.

Thanks for the info on CS. I’m gonna have to reread the made in USA again.

I searched specifically for made in USA, and since they were at one time, maybe what came up was from that time period.
Thanks for setting me straight. Gonna keep looking. Not saying I won’t buy one, but continue the search at the price point I want to be at.
Or I may just up my budget a little.

We enjoy our Grilla chimp camping. If I didn’t feel like spending the cash for a Mak I’d buy a Grilla again.

The Mak 2 we own is definitely a step up but I can squeeze out a very similar product food product with the Grilla compared to the Mak. We have no complaints when camping and using the Grilla chimp.
Food is very similar.

On the flip side... do we love our Mak? Yup. I’d pay 2.5 times the cost again if stolen. It’s like so many things in life...

I could have swore I seen made in USA, thanks for the correction. I did see they are close enough to me to go check out in person.

Thanks for the info on CS. I’m gonna have to reread the made in USA again.

At one time the grilla grills were made in the USA, I actually have one. It is a great little pellet cooker and puts out a ton of smoke. I kinda like the R2 D2 shape too. But the price point was higher than other companies comparable units. So they are now designed here and manufactured in China. This cut the price down in half to satisfy the price point shoppers. Me personally, I am big on the made in the USA stuff. All my cookers (11 and counting) are made in the USA. Did I pay a premium, maybe. Do I regret it. NOPE. lol

There’s a Yoder dealer about a half hour away I will have to go visit.

Does the Yoder have a pellet dump for easy change out?

There’s a Yoder dealer about a half hour away I will have to go visit.

Does the Yoder have a pellet dump for easy change out?

No pellet dump on the Yoder. If you want a Texas made pellet grill, look no further than Pitts and Spitts, which does have a pellet dump. I was checking out a 850 model at a shop the other day and it is extremely well made. The 850 model is plenty big, even though you see more post on the 1250 model. Has pellet dump, is fully welded out of heavy guarded metal, and just really well finished. Paint and stainless is great along with all welds both on standard metal and the stainless.

Keep the Primo, fabricate a plan b.

Last edited:
No pellet dump on the Yoder. If you want a Texas made pellet grill, look no further than Pitts and Spitts, which does have a pellet dump. I was checking out a 850 model at a shop the other day and it is extremely well made. The 850 model is plenty big, even though you see more post on the 1250 model. Has pellet dump, is fully welded out of heavy guarded metal, and just really well finished. Paint and stainless is great along with all welds both on standard metal and the stainless.

That’s one to look at. 35 lb hopper cap.

‘Wi-Fi Capable’. Hope this means standard, not an upgrade

Back