Birria Questacos With Consomé ~ Cooks Thread for "All Month Cinco de Mayo Feast"

Looks very, very nice, thanks for the tutorial.
Google tells me I can make this with one of my favourites,, beef shank, or goat
I need to source peppers which can be a bit of a challenge
Anyhow, I have bookmarked this

Both lamb and goat are the traditional meat, and I think beef became popular because of availability. because these are small batch tacos. Very rich and filling. Beef shanks will work for sure, or oxtail or beef cheeks. For making tacos (and not soup) you need meat that is fatty so that the consomé has the fats (oils) needed to fry the tortillas while keeping them moist, but with a a little crisp. I did a couple of cooks using only mozzarella as the filling to test the griddle temp (300°) and time before flipping (2 minutes+). Even these had a wonderful flavor. I can envision melting cheese and roasted jalapenos as a filling.

nxiG7M7.jpg

bYCyBlk.jpg

I had something like this at a restaurant several months ago. It was fantastic. Is the recipe for the consume posted anywhere? Thanks again.

This meal looks really good and appears to be simple enough to make with enough time and patience. Love the Magnalite roaster. Did you cook with lid on or off?
As I look at your mise en place photo, what is in the dish in the upper left hand corner?

Thanks,

Robert

It does take time, both in preparing the sauce, and the braising step.... but assembly and cooking takes no time at all. We made the meat the day before and that worked out great. Be sure and separate the meat from the braising liquid while it's still somewhat warm.

I just had the lid off my Magnalite to photo the braising step and show the pull back on the bones. The measuring cup in the upper left corner is the beef broth. And we ended up needing more as it reduced during braising, and you want plenty of sauce. The mixture of the blended chilies and other seasonings makes a wonderful sauce (it's good for enchiladas too), so it goes on the ribs.... then broth is added to form the braising liquid. We did strain the sauce, but here it is out of the blender before adding the beef broth and braising.

5JGXkiM.jpg

I had something like this at a restaurant several months ago. It was fantastic. Is the recipe for the consume posted anywhere? Thanks again.

There are plenty of online sources. This one below was the inspiration and has plenty of photos and we adjusted some ingredients because of the amount of meat we had. The cloves were omitted. Most recipes call for browning the meat, then moving right to braising, but I wanted the low-n-slo live fire flavor.... so that added a few more hours to the timeline.

https://www.acozykitchen.com/birria-tacos

This video is pretty good, and if you skip to the 7 minute mark you can see the complete cooking process. Watch this guys facial expression when he bites into one.... :clap2:

https://youtu.be/cx6_tuq2ePA

My wife would come uncorked if I put her Wagner pan in a smoker...

Hehehee. My Granny might too, this was hers. I have an oval and a round one, and this is my more typical set-up with the ceramic heat deflector in place, and the green feet to create an air gap. This makes the Egg more like an oven, and the aluminum is easier to clean. Here I'm using the Magnalite to make Cajun style beans and rice.

E8PKv0Q.jpg

Wj5DzDO.jpg

That's a winner for sure. I've been hearing all the craze for these, but hadn't done the legwork to figure out how to make it work with a smoker and griddle. This post has been really informative on how I can do that, and it will be on the menu in the near future!

Thanks for another great post.

That's a winner for sure. I've been hearing all the craze for these, but hadn't done the legwork to figure out how to make it work with a smoker and griddle. This post has been really informative on how I can do that, and it will be on the menu in the near future!

Thanks for another great post.

Not discounting the 'make from scratch' angle which I enjoy doing because you learn technique and how flavors work together.... but I think a can of decent enchilada sauce (maybe jazzed up a little) could be mixed with broth for the brazing and eventually the sauce for cooking and dipping.

This cook starts simple enough, with some short ribs that were dry brined for 3 hours and smoked until the internal was 150°

uXntMAb.jpg

Meanwhile a consomé is prepared which is used to braise the ribs. Chilies are soaked, then combined with the other ingredients and eventually the whole works is blended into a paste.

X5oml5e.jpg

G9XFb8T.jpg

The consomé can be eaten as a soup, it's a great hangover cure.... or in this case it is used when frying the tortillas and then used as a dipping sauce for the Birria Questacos. After the chiles and spices are cooked and blended everything goes into a roaster for 3 or 4 hours until the meat is very tender.

XdObDJx.jpg

LrAHkfY.jpg

The procedure is very simple, the consomé and pulled meat is warmed and held on the side. Also needed is some melting cheese, onion and cilantro.

jLnBiwj.jpg

0es0tby.jpg

qDdqWyl.jpg

Dip your tortillas, and let them start frying on an oiled surface. After about 2 minutes add some cheese, add some meat, then fold one side of the taco over and once the cheese is melty and you get some char.... you are there!

x08XAnJ.jpg

cTOaPsP.jpg

At the table, add onion, cilantro and lime juice if you like (the cheese is on the bottom so the taco will open). Dip the taco in the consomé as you eat it. The Birria Questacos are similar to a quesadilla only soft with a little crunch. The consume has a mild flavor, and the overall taste of the taco is similar to a tamale except that the char wakes up the corn tortilla.

jOZEOTg.jpg

axIlLU3.jpg

z1F2s2L.jpg

My GAWD how did I miss this?!?

Let oks farkin AMAZING

Dang!! That is an amazing looking cook. I would definitely go face first into that.

Back