• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked beef short ribs

Nicelag

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I got a recipe for smoked beef short ribs so thought I would try it out. They were 4 bone ribs which I cooked at 250 for 5 hours until they were 175 degress, then sauced and wrapped in foil for another hour. I must say they were generally very good flavor wise. However, even though I trimmed the exterior fat they were still just to fatty overall. Mostly from the inner layers of fat.

I have smoked regular ribs and such, but I have a new stick burner and have been trying other cuts to "broaden my horizons" so to speak. So the question is why were the ribs so fatty overall after the cook? Do I need to cook them longer to render the inner fat down? Is there a preferred temp for these fattier cuts that is preferred? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beef ribs need to be cooked like a brisket, it's done when it's done. And that usually won't happen till internal temp reaches 205F +. My guess is they weren't done yet. Whoever gave you that so called recipe missed the mark. The meat needs to be probe tender, stick it with a toothpick, if there is a lot of resistance while probing, they aren't done yet. That internal fat should turn to liquid gold when they are fully cooked.

Beef ribs need to be cooked like a brisket, it's done when it's done. And that usually won't happen till internal temp reaches 205F +. My guess is they weren't done yet. Whoever gave you that so called recipe missed the mark. The meat needs to be probe tender, stick it with a toothpick, if there is a lot of resistance while probing, they aren't done yet. That internal fat should turn to liquid gold when they are fully cooked.

Copy and paste this into your beef ribs notes for all future cooks. This is great advice. Temp is just a gauge, but will get you into the red zone!

I did my first round of these last weekend. They hit 'tenderness' hours before I expected, but went into the 'active hold' for several hours. One of the best dinners we've had, and now I need to find a more frequent source for these!

I actually get mine from Sam's or Costco. They usually only have it sliced and packages in the displays, but if I ask the butcher I can get 3 bone slabs. They usually have some in the back.

I actually get mine from Sam's or Costco. They usually only have it sliced and packages in the displays, but if I ask the butcher I can get 3 bone slabs. They usually have some in the back.

This exactly. I have had better luck with Sams. If you find a nice butcher they will hold some for you if you ask. One actually offered so it's my go to routine now.

I trim both my beef ribs and briskets pretty extreme. There is usually enough fat in the meat fibers. Fat is not flavor. Melted fat absorbed into the meat is flavor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I trim both my beef ribs and briskets pretty extreme. There is usually enough fat in the meat fibers. Fat is not flavor. Melted fat absorbed into the meat is flavor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Have some bone marrow on a piece of toast and tell me fat is not flavor.

Not sure if it happens there but down here we sometimes get an extra layer of meat and fat on our short ribs
It needs to be removed
Excellant advice above

Cook closer to 300 and don’t wrap. They’ll always be fatty, that’s the nature of the cut. Not wrapping gives you a nice bark to counteract all of the intramuscular fat.

Here is an important point:

Where did you get that recipe?

Was it tested / published etc. Or was it just something off a blog or YT Channel by someone not an expert.. just having a go?

I see this a lot with people relying on recipes from unreliable sources. When you are going to do something new, make sure your recipe is reliable.

Or do you take financial advice from your brother in law who's just getting by?

Cheers!

Bill

Back