Chris from Scranton, KS

vchris314

Got Wood.
Hello All!

I am a rank amateur pit master in Scranton KS. My equipment is a Char-griller Pro with the side firebox and many modifications. I recently received for father's day a new Maverick ET-733 wireless thermometer. I have also used a cheap UDS from Lowe's with good results - although I didn't like what I had to go through to put more charcoal in the thing.

My successes have been great, and so have been my failures. But I am learning from each one! For instance, I recently learned that a rack of ribs should not stay on the smoker for the same time as a five pound brisket. :doh:

I am happy to have found this forum because I get to learn at the grate from some great comrades in smocks.

Here are some smoked turkey breasts I did earlier this year:
smoked turkey breasts.jpg

My current BBQ projects are:
- Make the perfect expanded steel box (or two) that fits the side fire box. On this site I have seen posts mentioning that 12"x12"x6" is about what can fit.
- Modifying the firebox to securely hold the above expanded steel boxes. My current steel supports are not very supportive any more.
- Improve on my rub making skills. I have one rub that everyone seems to like, and it seems to go well with whatever I put it on. I would like to come up with a few more.
- Seal it up with some Green Egg felt tape so that precious smoke is not wasted.

Welcome to the forum! Those are some great looking turkey breasts!

Back