Are pellet grills really faster and more convenient for smoking?

Okay I'll chime in since I just got a Traeger as a gift.

I DO NOT think the flavor is as good as my Deep South GC28.

But DAYUM... is the Traeger much more simple to pull out and fire up and get your smoke or grill on.

As of right now I am still learning the Traeger but I can honestly say I wish I would have picked one up sooner.
It is very fuel efficient, simple to use and the flavor is good (as I said not as good as my DSGC28 but never less still good).

I personally would recommend a pellet grill to people.

The debate continues...My 2 cents. I had a PBC, loved it so much I sold it. Got a Hunsaker for more space and has great flavor as well. I’ll never get rid of my MAK pellet. I never use mine based on convenience or speed. If I want a charcoal smoke flavor, barrel. If I want a hint of smoke of bake above 300, pellet is my go to. It’s all about flavor profile.

If MAK Grills decides to do a another Brethren group buy deal... you’ll see a new thread started right here on this forum. Stay tuned :)

Out of curiosity, did the pricing for that ever end up public? Either specifically, or in general?

I know it was a good deal, and that a lot of people were very happy. If it never came out (and shouldn't) that's totally cool too.

Just not sure whether it did or not. If it didn't, and it might upset the folks at MAK, don't :)

If MAK Grills decides to do a another Brethren group buy deal... you’ll see a new thread started right here on this forum. Stay tuned :)

OK Robb, just broke the news to the boss and she didn't blow up! :grin:
I'm starting to save the funds for this MAK 1-Star purchase/group buy, if it happens, and now I just need some patience to keep checking this forum daily LOL.
One question for you- does MAK offer a stainless steel lid option for the MAK 1-Star...didn't see anything listed on their website?

Bill

OK Robb, just broke the news to the boss and she didn't blow up! :grin:
I'm starting to save the funds for this MAK 1-Star purchase/group buy, if it happens, and now I just need some patience to keep checking this forum daily LOL.
One question for you- does MAK offer a stainless steel lid option for the MAK 1-Star...didn't see anything listed on their website?

Bill

I think the stainless steel lid version of the 1-Star is the 2-Star...no?

MAK 2 Star grills are great, but they're not the only game in town in the $3000 pellet smoker category. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade (again, MAK is great!) but here's another product to consider if you've got that kind of money in your pocket set aside for a pellet unit. Of course something like this can't be used for searing; it's just for low and slow cooking. But I'm pretty sure you can get more meat on there, and because of the position of the stack you'll get deeper smoke flavor.

Last edited:
ttkt57,
Yea, I've already got a $15,000 smoker in my shop for the big smoke jobs. Just looking for a small footprint pellet grill for 2 -4 guests.

Chester,
I looked at the 2-Star and the footprint is alot bigger than my space will allow!

Bill

ttkt57,
Yea, I've already got a $15,000 smoker in my shop for the big smoke jobs. Just looking for a small footprint pellet grill for 2 -4 guests.

Chester,
I looked at the 2-Star and the footprint is alot bigger than my space will allow!

Bill

Understood!

What does the footprint need to be?

I have about a 48" L x 35" W space where it will be setup.

Folks are probably going to get tired of hearing about it from me, but I'm pretty enthusiastic. The cooker a bought recently is about 42 inches stem to stern, is 200 lbs of welded 11-gauge steel (no high temp caulk), has an ash clean out door, and is made in Idaho. I'm retired and mainly cook for two, but sometimes have family over and have cooked for 12. I love this little tank of a pellet smoker.

Link to a thread about it:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288184

ttkt57,

Chester,

Bill

Keep in mind, the one star is made of a non rusting material. So, unless you want aesthetics of the stainless, it should be an excellent quality lid that doesn't rust.

Cobill,

Rec Tec 590 is 44" long/wide. Depth is well within what you are looking for. All stainless construction and is well made. Just under $1000 including shipping.

Folks are probably going to get tired of hearing about it from me, but I'm pretty enthusiastic. The cooker a bought recently is about 42 inches stem to stern, is 200 lbs of welded 11-gauge steel (no high temp caulk), has an ash clean out door, and is made in Idaho. I'm retired and mainly cook for two, but sometimes have family over and have cooked for 12. I love this little tank of a pellet smoker.

Link to a thread about it:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288184

This really is a nice looking rig.

Yep, that is a nice looking pellet grill. I'm still sold on the MAK 1-Star with it's lifetime warranty, Flame Zone searing, SS grates, etc. and it fits in my space. Hope we can get the group buy discount again.

Thanks in advance Robb for all your efforts.

Bill

MAK 2 Star grills are great, but they're not the only game in town in the $3000 pellet smoker category. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade (again, MAK is great!) but here's another product to consider if you've got that kind of money in your pocket set aside for a pellet unit. Of course something like this can't be used for searing; it's just for low and slow cooking. But I'm pretty sure you can get more meat on there, and because of the position of the stack you'll get deeper smoke flavor.

What is this thing? Looks like a beast!

What is this thing? Looks like a beast!

It's a pellet cooker (model 3000?) made by Outlaw Smokers* in Idaho. I have their smallest smoker, the OL450. This is one of their bigger backyard units. They also make trailer smokers and other products for catering--all using pellets I believe.

*Not to be confused with another great BBQ company in Indiana (I think) that goes by a similar name and makes stick burners.

The mak with the “cold smoker “ side shelf removed is about 42” long. I took mine off as I never use it and I need the space for more cookers:)

The mak is really a great all around cooker. It’s my weekday cooker of choice without question.

On the weekend when I want to chill by the cooker all day I’ll burn sticks.

This past Sunday I had an errand to run but also needed to start a butt for dinner. I lit a fire in my stick burner, just to get a coal bed going. Threw the butt on the mak, ran out for an hr, got home and tossed the butt on the other cooker. Really helped me out big time.

Well I’ve had my MAK 1 Star for over 4 years. I’ll never get rid of it. Just put piroges(sp?) from the freezer on there the other night along with French Fried Onion chicken at 400 degrees. Beautiful browning on the piroges and chicken breast was crazy moist. My MAK gets used at least 3-4 times a week. Customer service is amazing. Thought I was having an issue with the pid controller. Sent them a message online. Within 2 hours I got a call from them, and it turned out my temp probe had a little bit of gunk than needed cleaned after 4 years. As a military guy, American made by hand is a huge part of why I buy what I buy. Hunsaker, MAK, a new cooker on the way????... All American, small businesses, high quality product with a company that stands behind what they sell. Worth a few bucks more IMO. Wow. This turned into a long rant. Buy a MAK. 1 Star won’t disappoint.

The mak with the “cold smoker “ side shelf removed is about 42” long. I took mine off as I never use it and I need the space for more cookers:)

The mak is really a great all around cooker. It’s my weekday cooker of choice without question.

On the weekend when I want to chill by the cooker all day I’ll burn sticks.

This past Sunday I had an errand to run but also needed to start a butt for dinner. I lit a fire in my stick burner, just to get a coal bed going. Threw the butt on the mak, ran out for an hr, got home and tossed the butt on the other cooker. Really helped me out big time.

Thanks all you BBQ guys! My wife is retired US Army and I retired from Civil Service, so I'll be buying an American built MAK...just deciding on the 1 or 2 Star and like the idea of removing the cold smoker side shelf.

Bill

Knocked this out with ease tonight on my MAK. Smoky, crazy moist and sticky sweet. I love love love pellet cooking! :)

41d4348a23657320e0feb01e56db5ee6.jpg

Back