MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

That is funky looking. The point eventually descends below the flat so I don't get what's going on there. But good luck.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Cook the **** out of it, then eat it.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #18
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

John, did you cut that off square or did it come out of the cryovac that way? If it came out that way, you got ripped off. If that is how all their briskets are cut, they are charging for full packers and not giving you the whole flat. I wonder if they are saving that to make corned beef? It doesn't see right that they cut off a quarter of a brisket. I'll try and take a picture of a full brisket so you know what it looks like.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
John, did you cut that off square or did it come out of the cryovac that way? If it came out that way, you got ripped off. If that is how all their briskets are cut, they are charging for full packers and not giving you the whole flat. I wonder if they are saving that to make corned beef? It doesn't see right that they cut off a quarter of a brisket. I'll try and take a picture of a full brisket so you know what it looks like.
That's how the brisket came. I'm guessing they cut the flat off to make it a smaller piece. I'll call next week to ask (complain) and see what they say.

It's on the smoker now, so we'll see.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Ok guys here are the results.

First off - this was AWESOME. Very tasty. However, I do feel like I got screwed out of 50% of more of my brisket flat.

Above is after I used my hand to grab the big chunks of fat and toss them. It looks to me like the flat is at the bottom and the point is on top. Clearly, I am missing most of my flat.

Above is what I think was the flat. I sliced it thin. Clearly there isn't much of it and this was sandwiched in between fat and point so there is no bark.

Some of the point went nicely into little cubes. Man were these tender!

Above is the pulled brisket. These parts were so wet and full of love that I could only pull them. Wow. Tasty!

So, in summary, my method was awesome: 7 hours on the smoker and then 2 hours in the 270 degree oven. It was "like butter" everywhere after the 2 hour oven.

My only gripe? Here's a 15 lb brisket. How much did it cost? Ok, sit down. $63! This 15 pound brisket yielded me 5, yes five, pounds of meat. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I'm fine with supporting my local beef farm and I appreciate that they dry age the beef. So $63 isn't the end of the world. But c'mon, don't tell me I'm gonna get "point and flat" when I clearly don't have the amount of flat as the typical $25 Walmart packer brisket.

Thanks again guys. Overall this was a success. So tasty.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

If you paid $ per lb you didn't get screwed out of anything. You just got half of the flat.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #22
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
If you paid $ per lb you didn't get screwed out of anything. You just got half of the flat.
Yes sir. $4.25/lb.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Don't forget to save all the fat, cut it into cubes, place in a large pot with maybe a 1/4 of water and render all the fat down to its tallow.

Discard (or eat) the crackilins strain and refrigerate.

Then when you are ready to make some fried chicken the old style, brine the chicken in a sweet tea brine, wash off, batter up and deep fry on the beef tallow after you cook a pork steak in it.

Then you will have some decent fried chicken. Old school. Like maybe before there were actually school, schools.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

This is what I mean... **** just goes over peep's heads.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilling24x7 View Post
Yes sir. $4.25/lb.

I usually drive up to the farm to pick up beef. Roseda does seem to cut a little strange.

Just curious, do you go to JW Treuth?

Tags
brisket, Fat, Packer