UDS - Drum Question

gthomson

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
This is a bunch of firsts for me, first post, first smoker, first build.

Here is my question, I was given a Big Pappa smoker kit as a gift and I have sourced a food grade drum. I have drilled it all and now I am looking at the inside of the drum and I am worried about what appears to be a liner.

I really want to make sure the drum is safe. I plan to burn it out but how do I know if that is good enough? Should I just start over and get a drum that does not have anything on the inside?

Pics below so the inside of the drum and the label that is on it in case that is useful. Thanks again for the help.

Graham
Noob from BC Canada

Attachments

• IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 146
LOL. Yes start a big burn and then wire wheel the rest of it out if you can. Have fun :)

If it fits your budget, I suggest sandblasting it out. Sometimes them liners are rough to get out.

If you don't have enough wood or pallets for a big burn, buy a weed burner from Harbor Freight. Those things are like flame throwers.

That red liner is the tough one. That's what was in mine. Do a HOT burn out for 3-4 hrs, power wash the crap out of it at car wash and whatever is left was meant to stay - season over it.

I burned mine out as best I could then wire wheel the rest out. It was a lot of elbow grease but totally doable.

Yea HF torch.....don't warp your lid too

Ask Dj to post a link to his build thread, it has some good mods to the kit

I would but my computer is down

Yea HF torch.....don't warp your lid too

Ask Dj to post a link to his build thread, it has some good mods to the kit

I would but my computer is down

I would love to but suddenly I can't search. I hit search and it just greys out and I get nothing.

I would love to but suddenly I can't search. I hit search and it just greys out and I get nothing.

Search is always hit/miss for me too. Earlier today I typed in "Apricot BBQ sauce recipe" and I got "zero results" the first 4 times I hit enter, but the 5th time it actually got some results. I hit the button to go to the second page "zero results" pops up again :doh:

OK so based on the feedback it sounds like there is a great deal of work in getting this red liner out. Based on your experience would it just be better to go buy another one without a liner for $20 dollars? I have two little ones and my time to work on these things is limited and I need to get my smoke on.

Also we have a complete fire ban right now and I am struggling to find a place where I can get away with a long burn out.

I'd pay 20.00 to NOT have to deal with an epoxy liner. No burning, no cussing, no grinding, no sore back, no runs to HD or Lowes for one more $#@!#$! grinding wheel/brush.... yeah- I'd pay 20.00 :grin:

Honestly, it took me probably 3 hours of working my ars off with a drill and wire wheel (and dust mask don't forget that). BUT.. if you can find one for $20 without a liner I would jump all over that.

That unlined drum would be well worth the $20. It may have had something not food grade in it, though. I'd still give the unlined drum a quick burn, wipe it out, and plead ignorance if the Mounties show up.

When I was in the UDS building process, I looked at what drums were available and I ended up paying 55 bones for a brand new unlined drum... that cost less in the labor (mine or otherwise) and fuss of dealing with a drum that had a liner in it. Really, there's no wrong answer as long as it suits your UDS objective... good luck!

I paid $20 for a lined drum and another $20 to get it sand-blasted out. If I could get unlined drums for $20 I'd buy 5 of 'em!!!!

I just built my UDS. My drum came with the liner. First, I agree that $20 is well worth the unlined. But, if you're a sucker for a challenge, I spent about 3/4 tank of propane through an HF weed burner. That faded the liner and turned it to powder. I then came across a post in the mother thread that oven cleaner might work. I tried that and it did. I sprayed 1 1/2 cans in the drum and let it set for about 36 hours. After that I power washed, then went out for more oven cleaner (the last 1/2 went to the lid) because it didn't look totally gone. When I got back the top 2/3 had rust. I lined it again with another can of oven cleaner and waited another 48 hrs. Power washed again then seasoned. Best of luck!

Search is always hit/miss for me too. Earlier today I typed in "Apricot BBQ sauce recipe" and I got "zero results" the first 4 times I hit enter, but the 5th time it actually got some results. I hit the button to go to the second page "zero results" pops up again :doh:

Sorry for the slight hijack but in the Google search box you can enter
site:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum [search text]
Where you replace [search text] including the brackets with what you want to search the site for.

Back