MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #106
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkief View Post
Oh...there have been plenty of pics for the sear capabilities, but here they are again from me. Others can repost if they want but they’re all over the forum and even in this post, I believe. No pics, but I just did 2 pizzas yesterday on it with corderite stones.
Good pics but can the MAK grills sear?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #107
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Good pics but can the MAK grills sear?
Dooooood...

Did you not see post #94?

#askinferafriend

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #108
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Dooooood...

#askinferafriend

To be honest I’m on my phone at home and didn’t scroll through the hundred posts. I went on the mak site and it seemed like they promoted the 2 star for searing over the 1 star. 2 star is out for the budget for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #109
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
To be honest I’m on my phone at home and didn’t scroll through the hundred posts. I went on the mak site and it seemed like they promoted the 2 star for searing over the 1 star. 2 star is out for the budget for sure.

Some of their one star details are dated. They have all the same key parts on both models now. Same controller, flame zone, etc. The should sear almost identically.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #110
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Dooooood...

#askinferafriend
Doooood... have you not seen my posts over the last 6+ years?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2021, 10:13 PM   #111
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchy View Post
Some of their one star details are dated. They have all the same key parts on both models now. Same controller, flame zone, etc. The should sear almost identically.

Thanks!

Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #112
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
It is just days away...

MAK Grills has graciously agreed to do a 2nd annual run of what turned out to be a VERY popular event last year. As previously mentioned this is quite special, as MAK Grills rarely if ever discounts their grills/products. Simply put, they build a premium product and demand a premium price. If you are at all considering a MAK Grill you will not want to miss this opportunity. I have seen a fair number of you that are still kicking yourselves for not joining the MAK family last year. Don’t let this slip away if that’s you :)

This will take place 3/1-5

You can reach MAK Grills two ways this time:
1. Call Caleb direct at (503) 623-1234.
2. Email Caleb with any and all questions at [email protected] with the subject line “BBQ Brethren Group Buy 2021”.

Spoke with Caleb earlier today, and he asked that we hold off on any calls/emails until this event starts. After the craziness of last years event, he has to mentally prepare himself... lol. I told him that I know the Brethren would respect that :)

Also, please know that there will be a 4-6 week lead time this year on all grill purchases. Caleb asked that I make sure y’all are aware of that.

As far as pricing, that will be between you and MAK Grills. It will be the same for everyone... that I know. I just know that last year it was something they requested we not publicize. I assume it’ll be no different this year.

Can’t wait!!!! :)
At this time we have 8 yes votes in the poll I posted. Is there a minimum number of purchases required to qualify for a discount? Thanks and thanks for putting this together!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 02-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #113
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
At this time we have 8 yes votes in the poll I posted. Is there a minimum number of purchases required to qualify for a discount? Thanks and thanks for putting this together!

MAK Grills will honor the Brethren discount no matter the number sold. It’ll be the incentives that will be missed out on. I truly think more are gonna sell than you think or your poll shows :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #114
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
MAK Grills will honor the Brethren discount no matter the number sold. It’ll be the incentives that will be missed out on. I truly think more are gonna sell than you think or your poll shows :)
I think this is absolutely the case, and by several times. I know when the thread began last year, I didn't even open it, even after the sales actually began. Yeah, I'd entertained the thought of a pellet pooper before, but I had so many more priorities, and now was not the time, and blah, blah, blah. I knew nothing about MAKs. I didn't even really like the way they looked. I was thinking about a Yoder sometime in the distant future as a possibility. Somewhere around a few days before the sale was scheduled to end, I actually opened the thread, read a bit, ... clicked on their website and did a bit of reading for myself. It didn't help that Robb had posted a whole bunch of pics showing grilled food. I'd wanted something I could use as a grill that would be easy to get going as my gasser for when we didn't get to dinner until late ... Then I mentioned it to my wife sort of in passing that there was a sale on MAKs and she immediately said that I should purchase one. She was more sure of it than I was. I didn't even have to buy her a couch or anything. So, you can chalk me up as someone who wasn't even thinking about a purchase until the last day or two.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #115
arthrovine
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : j

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchy View Post
If you want a MAK now and it’s too wide for you townhome deck, you could not attach the warmer/cold smoker box and trim 16-18 inches off the width. I saw either here or the MAK FB fan page where someone was talking about that. I don’t know if you need to block the side vents or not if you do that.
Brilliant, Thank you! I’m going to have to look into this. I will call Caleb next week and see how practical this would be.
Beefer

lovingly temporarily donated:
2004 Weber Genesis Silver B
arthrovine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #116
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthrovine View Post
Brilliant, Thank you! I’m going to have to look into this. I will call Caleb next week and see how practical this would be.
That’s a great plan, then you know MAK will approve and if you need to block the right side vents, they might even have a good suggestion on how to do it.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #117
Josh@MAK
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1006 View Post
Is the blank pan new? I never saw this before. Does it just go over the flamezone pan with the perforated holes?

Seems like it'll make my life much easier when cleaning.

It isn't new. It replaces the pan with perforated holes and is meant for people who cook low and slow primarily or exclusively. If you grill with any regularity, swapping out the pans and keeping two pans clean might be more inconvenient than just keeping the one pan and its covers clean.
Josh@MAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #118
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

...in the end, I blame Robb...

I was less than a year into my stick burner groove, loving the process and the good eats my LSG VO was cranking out. I’m a big fan of rwalters and the amazing cooks he shares. When the Breathren group buy details were being shared last year, and I started doing my own research, pellet-pooping got a lot more interesting. I shared many of the same smoke-profile questions that others have voiced. Long story short, I listened to Robb and other MAK’er’s feedback and experiences and ended up with a Two Star with an extra full grate, SS doors, SS front shelf, WiFi and a cover.

My MAK experience has been very positive. Pellet smoking is different, like charcoal, stick burning, gas etc. I like the smoke profile I’m getting from the MAK - it’s all a matter of personal taste, I guess. The WiFi function has been great; driving the cooker with my phone has been a growing convenience I originally thought of as a fun to have, but is now a full on utility. MAK’s build quality, fit and function is exceptional. And the final product coming off the cooker has elicited the same compliments from the folks I feed with a hearty “more, please”!

I’ve found I’m doing more cooks on the MAK just-in-time and on a whim, similar to thinking about turning on The Gasser. It’s relatively low maintenance and allows you to be up and running quickly. Getting inspired by other Breathren’s cooks and trying some out myself in the moment is a snap with my Two Star. And when I see rwalters’s cook posts, I figure I’d better be ready to do a freezer dive or hit the grocery store!

...so in the end, I blame Robb... and I can’t thank him enough! If you’re on the fence, do a search for his cook-posts and you’ll see the potential of adding a MAK to your cooker arsenal!

Old 02-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #119
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMetroHawkeye View Post
...in the end, I blame Robb...

I was less than a year into my stick burner groove, loving the process and the good eats my LSG VO was cranking out. I’m a big fan of rwalters and the amazing cooks he shares. When the Breathren group buy details were being shared last year, and I started doing my own research, pellet-pooping got a lot more interesting. I shared many of the same smoke-profile questions that others have voiced. Long story short, I listened to Robb and other MAK’er’s feedback and experiences and ended up with a Two Star with an extra full grate, SS doors, SS front shelf, WiFi and a cover.

My MAK experience has been very positive. Pellet smoking is different, like charcoal, stick burning, gas etc. I like the smoke profile I’m getting from the MAK - it’s all a matter of personal taste, I guess. The WiFi function has been great; driving the cooker with my phone has been a growing convenience I originally thought of as a fun to have, but is now a full on utility. MAK’s build quality, fit and function is exceptional. And the final product coming off the cooker has elicited the same compliments from the folks I feed with a hearty “more, please”!

I’ve found I’m doing more cooks on the MAK just-in-time and on a whim, similar to thinking about turning on The Gasser. It’s relatively low maintenance and allows you to be up and running quickly. Getting inspired by other Breathren’s cooks and trying some out myself in the moment is a snap with my Two Star. And when I see rwalters’s cook posts, I figure I’d better be ready to do a freezer dive or hit the grocery store!

...so in the end, I blame Robb... and I can’t thank him enough! If you’re on the fence, do a search for his cook-posts and you’ll see the potential of adding a MAK to your cooker arsenal!

Not sure what to say other than thank you kind sir :)

I am just one of the Brethren, and like most of us have a strong desire to cook the best I know how for friends and family. I absolutely love how we all feed off of each other in the sense that we drive each other to learn and continually do better with each and every cook.

This is indeed a very special place!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #120
cobill
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthrovine View Post
I contacted Caleb several weeks ago about removing the side box and he said you could not do it because it would affect the grill and smoke performance.