MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #9046
Vulcanus
Found some matches.

Thanks friends
First of all I want to make a clarification (I didn't explain the concept well last time). The photos are only to clarify the idea of an air diffuser but, in my project, the intake tube measure 1 inch with a 3/4" adjustable valve, and the exhaust measure 2 inch.

@ coewar:
I'm sorry but I don't understand well what you mean, please use a simple language. I'm italian and I don't speack the american english very well.

At the moment I'm not interested to make a cold smoker, but in the future if I need it I'll make a "Smoke Daddy" clone.

My UDS is similar to your brother's project (bbq brethren forum link)

Sean "Puffy" Coals UDS

@ jcinadr:
Very nice air diffuser can you put other picture to help me with the construction?
Can you express an opinion on your UDS?
Which changes would make?

Thanks to all,
Have a nice day.
Vulcanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #9047
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

My newest addition!! Actually was built for my sister in law to give to her husband,so sadly it won't be getting used by me.

I started a thread about it,but thought I,d post a pic here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=122580
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #9048
Forrestbro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Forrest

Lookin' really awesome, brickie!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #9049
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

Looks good brickie! Nice job :)
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #9050
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys. The colors on this one really came out good.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #9051
vance237
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Guys,

I'm begining construction on my UDS tomorrow and have only one question regarding using a bbq guru. I want to make sure I get an even burn (couldn't accomplish that on my Pro-Q using the guru) and was thinking about piping the air through black pipe to the middle of the bottom of the drum and then difusing to create airflow all the way around the charcoal basket. I would only use one air intake hole with the fan attached to it.

Am I over thinking this? Should I just do the one hole with the blower attached and just deal with the uneven burn? Does the uneven burn even matter?

Thoughts???
vance237 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #9052
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Brickie,

Beautiful paint job.

I'm starting on my UDS tomorrow, but it won't be that pretty. Just basic black.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #9053
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking drum!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #9054
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I will try to post a few more pics of my uds over the holidays. I am very happy with it, with only a few exceptions.

1) I often run with sticks - 100% twig burn (I have tons of pecan trees and they are always shedding, so most of the year I just walk around the yard to get my wood). If I am doing a hot burn (350) and leave the lid off for over 15 seconds I will get a huge flame up (above the grill). After closing the lid I will get a hotspot under the exhaust. Simple solution - don't open the lid - and when you do, get in and out fast. I may get to the point of pulling the entire grate off to cut the time the lid is off (say for turning a bunch of chicken). Perhaps I should add a shelf to put the grill on...

2) My self constructed blower works fine - but is not professional. I have broken the wires once by accident. It is hard to seal the blower after a burn (as it is hard to reach under the pit). W/O sealing it the coals will smolder for at least 8hrs and probably quite a bit longer (with pipe caps I could kill coals in 30 minutes). (I have restarted a fire after 8 hours just by turning the blower back on). I have considered pluming the air intake from the bottom of the drum up a side. That way I could easily remove the blower and plug the hole - plus I would not need the long (flimsy) wire from the blower to the guru. This could become a self contained unit and a good storage box for the guru and probes...

3) Speaking of storing the guru - don't leave your probes laying on your shelf in the rain. Just don't do it. Probes stop working when they get water in them. It seems to release the magic white smoke. So far no damage to the guru (hung on the side of the pit), but I have been better at remembering to put it away. Last burn was in the rain (w/o a working meat probe, and my other digital thermometer's probe suffered the same fate), so I put a zip lock over the guru before attaching it to the mount - nice and dry all night.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #9055
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

is anyone cleaning their UDS???? if so, what method and frequency? THe sides are getting kind of nasty and i wasnt sure if i should leave it as a protectant or wash it off
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #9056
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

I'm going to clean mine before using it this Friday with some simple green. Should cut the grease without removing the paint.

brickie

Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #9057
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Been working on my uds. The first barrel that was given to me had mo lid and the red coating on the interior. I've been holding off burning it because I couldn't find a donor lid for it.

So I started checking Craigslist sent a few emails off, one guy couldn't meet up until after Christmas, another didn't answer, third guy says he thinks he has two drums left. We decided to meet up today, since he was almost an hour away I emailed him this morning and wanted to confirm everything including the color of the interior.

The guy emails me back and says its silver inside and out, no rust on it, he thinks its stainless steel.

So I jump in my car and drive about 80 mph to meet the guy.

Turns out the barrel is galvanized. I decided to take a chance on it and got it anyway. I recalled reading around here that mecuractic acid takes zinc off pretty quick so I stopped by home depot on the way home.

$6.96 for a gallon of acid, about half an hour layer I got bare metal on the inside of the drum.

Rinsed it well and sprayed it down with Pam.

Didn't quite get the acid to the top rim, took that off with the angle.grinder.

Will do a good burn tomorrow and start drilling.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber

Old 12-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #9058
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, very ambitious!! Muratic acid is nothing to play with at all.Sure that could not have been fun.Good luck on your build. Will be watching your progress.

brickie

Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #9059
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Wow, very ambitious!! Muratic acid is nothing to play with at all.Sure that could not have been fun.Good luck on your build. Will be watching your progress.

brickie
Not something I would want to do every day, but I wore goggles, gloves, protective mask, and had several pounds of baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Will start working on it this morning, hopefully will have it ready to smoke this afternoon. Do have one issue, my buddy with the welder can't help me weld the charcoal basket until next week. I'll have to came up with dome way of wiring it together until then.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #9060
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Well got it together, still need to get together with my buddy that has a welder and weld up the basket and weld the nipples in place so I can put in the ball valve and caps.

Got it started with a load of charcoal. Didn't have the caps in place so it ran up to about 425, used some fridge magnets to block off the vents, had it at 250 for a while and now it has dropped to 200. Lifted the top off only one side of the charcoal was gray I closed it up and will see how it continues to run.

My 19 year old son was helping me make it and decided he wanted to try burning out the other drum with the red liner.

He is in the back yard now with the leaf blower and a fire going.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker