• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"Freezer Dive Challenge!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Freezer Dive Challenge!"

14RXFF9.jpg

As chosen by sandro for winning the "BBQ Across America" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

sandro said:
Let’s see what we can dig out of our freezers to cook up! Whole roasts, chickens, burgers, trimmings, leftovers, as long as it comes from your freezer, it qualifies! This is an open category, which means you can cook anything you like per standard Throwdown rules, but you must show a picture of your frozen food item(s) in your entry/cook thread.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/8 through Monday 10/25.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 10/25.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Maybe a three-way entry?..... Direct grill a frozen pizza. :laugh:

I have made many delicious pizzas and posted them here from mainly frozen ingredients-dough, cheese, toppings. :p

I do have a funny direct grilled frozen pizza story, though:

Many years ago before I got into grilling and smoking, a friend and I were camping in the high sierras. We stopped at the market 30 miles from our campsite to load up our cooler with supplies, and as we passed the frozen pizza section, she asked if it was possible to grill a Wolfgang Puck frozen pizza. We had enjoyed many of them together. So I said, "I don't see why not. Let's give it a try!"

That night, after the coals died down in the fire, I laid a cooking grate over some rocks and let the fully thawed pizza cook. I created a dome over the pizza using aluminum foil to keep the heat in. About ten minutes later, the top of the pizza was done, with the cheese melted beautifully and toppings perfectly cooked, I got the pizza off the grate and onto a cutting board and cut into it with a large chef's knife. As I cut into the pizza, the crunch was so audible I knew we were in trouble. The bottom of the pizza had become a crispy, fully carbonized black disc. The best we could do was scoop all of the cheese and toppings off the top into bowls and eat it in quiet desperation, knowing the experiment was not only an epic failure, it would never be repeated again.

We still share a hearty belly laugh when we revisit that memory!

:laugh:

Crazy coincidence! :shock: I got an 18lb SRF brisket in yesterday and had a bitch of a time fitting in my fridge so I dumped everything out and rearranged. Glad the brisket didn't fit because I found some cool stuff hidden in the back I forgot about like:

CA lamb chops and Iberico pork chops :-D

Hq2aSkql.jpg

Hamachi

bR2OoBIl.jpg

NZ lamb chops and picanha

YYBmni3l.jpg

Pork belly

uggcfwpl.jpg

Even found a wagyu steak but the packaging got loose and it was all frostbitten so I tossed it.

Had some brisket trimmings from the latest throwdown and made a "pot of beans with hot & spicy tomato sauce" with it; definitely not chili, lest I anger the Texan gods

picture.php

Smoked for a couple of hours with post oak chunks and BB Original

picture.php

Thrown into a pot with a small hot fire around it

picture.php

And eaten for lunch a few hours ago—please use this as my entry photo

picture.php

Last edited:
^^^^That looks great, Sandro! Is this an entry? If so, which is your entry photo?

Freezer Throwdown Entry - BBQ Pizza

Cook tread

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294906

Please accept this photo as my entry in the Freezer Dive Throwdown. I had leftover smoked pork loin that I coarse ground with a little bbq sauce in the freezer. This is the feature ingredient in my thin crust Chopped Smoked Pork Loin Pizza, with Fresh Mozzarella, Smoked Gouda, Pepper Jack cheese, Sliced Fresh Jalapeños, Onions and Peppers chopped and sautéed, Pizza sauce and Sweet Baby Rays (mixed 75%/25%), store bought dough.

Last edited:
Back