Best dry rib rub

jermoQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am out of Secret weapon, and almost out of Dominator. My wife really likes Dominator and I told her I was going to get some more, and try another rub that would work good for ribs. I do not sauce them, so what is a dry rib rub that you all like best? Doesn't have to be sweet but it needs to be a big winner with no sauce.

A base coat of salt and pepper and a good dusting of Heath Riles' Pecan works well for me. His Cherry is quite good as well.

For the last 10 years I have kept Smokin' Guns Hot, Cimarron Doc's, and Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust on hand for ribs. I do put a base of a homemade garlic pepper or sweet garlic pepper seasoning (recipes below) on ribs first, and they look like this.

usGksLA.jpg

thirdeye's Sweet Garlic Pepper Seasoning for Pork
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Red Bell Pepper (ground)

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika

I find most commercial rubs to be a bit too salty for my taste. Admittedly, I am on (or supposed to be on) a reduced sodium diet.
I have developed this rub over the years and haven't found anything commercially that I like better.
Plowboy's Yardbird comes close, but being able to fine tune the heat to sweet ratio is a nice feature depending on who I'm cooking for.
Side Note: I have been asked for this rub recipe many times over the years, never given it out till today!

Buffettfan's BBQ Dry Rub
Great on pork, chicken and seafood.
3 tbs Smoked paprika
1 ½ tbs Coarse Black Pepper
3 ½ tbs Dark Brown Sugar
2 tbs white Sugar
1 ½ tbs Kosher Salt (More or less to taste)
1 ½ tbs Celery Seed
1 tbs Garlic Powder
1 tbs dry Mustard
1 tbs Onion Powder
¼ tbs Cumin
¼ tbs Cayenne Pepper (More or less to taste)

Mix well, apply liberally.
For best results on chicken, ribs or pork shoulder, apply, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Let chicken and pork marinate overnight.
On seafood marinate for 1 to 2 hours. Use as you would Old Bay or similar seasonings.

Naturiffic has a new Rib Rub we’re testing.
Send me a PM with your address and I’ll send you a sample.
Would love your feedback

The system told me your PM box is too full to receive any messages. I will try again later.

SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama, and Bolner's Fiesta Brand Rib Rub

I took the various things I love the taste of and made my own.
S-P-O-G, then added Montreal Steak seasoning, Sometimes I kick it up with some Cayenne, but the wife gives me heartburn over that. (Cotton Candy tongue...)
I like Granulated Onion and Garlic better than powdered.

Basically, the seasonings I was using by applying them at the grill, I mixed up and put in a cheese shaker jar. Ta-Da!
Try a tsp of each of the seasonings you love to use, mix them up and try it. then adjust from there.

Later, because we like sauce, I combined my rub with Sweet Baby Rays, added about 1/4 cup of Honey, and I cook that combination onto my BBQ.
Mostly Baby Back Ribs. But it's good on Chicken and Beef, too.
It cooks on and becomes a crust of sorts. And the Family and Friends love it.
I got told when I wanted to try smoking the ribs first emphatically, "Do NOT mess with the rib recipe."
I am a slave to my own creation. :heh:

But I like mixing my own, and adjusting the different ingredients to find the right mix.

Just picked up a house rub from Memphis BBQ company, to test out. So far it is very good. Turbanado sugar gives it a very good sweetness.

I think any recipe that calls for white sugar should consider turbanado instead.

I've fallen in love with It's Incredible by Heaven Made. It really is friggen INCREDIBLE!!! It's another one of those rubs that really goes great on everything!

Back