Locating a suitable UDS drum

bbq1980

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've read much of the primary UDS thread and saw the thread about drum sources by state, but for those who wanted a UDS and prioritize safety but were averse to a large burn out and didn't have any of the requisite drum-prepping tools (i.e. weed burner, sander, etc) where did you source your drum from?

I've been looking on CL with no luck, I've seen one or two sketchy looking drums on eBay and have inquiries into several area companies but I'd like to either have something shipped or find a supplier close to home. So far, the best I can find is a new unlined drum online, but even these still have the mysterious rust inhibitor (which I recognize is needed during shipping) but that I can't seem to find any info on and I'd rather not trigger any complaints from nosy neighbors or a friendly visit from the fire department by creating a blazing hot fire in my back yard just to remove the obnoxious coating; though I get that to many, it's a right of passage of sorts.

I've also looked into sandblasting places and should have one estimate shortly. But at this point, I'd seriously consider paying for the burnout and sandblasting, plus the shipping as this would alleviate potential headaches in advance and even with the higher cost, I'd still bet that it'd be less than the $400 for a 21.5" WSM. Of course, the other alternative is to go the SS route, like from Bubba's Barrels, which I'm still thinking about, but it'd obviously be more expensive and I've read that the SS tears up step bits so I might have issues drilling holes.

What have other folks done? I've modded out my ECB as much as I can (it's actually UDS-like) and I'm ready for another challenge. Just need to locate a properly prepped drum. Thanks in advance.

Do you have a buddy that lives out in the middle of nowhere that will let you burn it out at his place?

Do you have a buddy that lives out in the middle of nowhere that will let you burn it out at his place?

Oh, do you have to live out in the middle of nowhere to do this? I did this on my 1/8 acre lot lol. My backyard is big though and located it in the middle. Maybe I violated a local city code but I don't see difference between that and a bbq pit. So I am thinking I didn't violate a code.

Whole Big Arse FireTruck came to my house during burnout someone had called in on my - I did have flames. 2 foot over the barrel top tho :becky:-no ticket but a Serious warning where I won't do another at my house...... He didn't say how much but said ticket would not be cheap.

For Sandblasting, I used a place called "The Blast shop" in Kenosha. It was 60 bucks to blast the outside and lid. They did a great job, took a week or 2. For a barrel, you should talk to oifmarine2003. He runs a scrap yard/salvage business and is selling drums on here from time to time at a very reasonable price.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a weed burner to prep a barrel.

Yeah, I suppose I could spring for the weed burner from Harbor Freight, but I'd also have to pick up a propane tank, plus the propane and this might work since I don't really have any place that's isolated enough where I could do a burn of that magnitude without risking unwanted attention. I was hoping to order one, and have the burnout and/or sandblasting done before I had the drum shipped.

Will sandblasting the inside and outside be sufficient?

As popular as the UDS is and as cheap as drums are, I'm mildly surprised there isn't a drum vendor who sells drums that are closer to being UDS-ready where all you have to do is spray on some hi temp paint and apply a coat of oil to the inside.

Anyway, I'll keep looking or revisit the SS route. I've read other stories about folks who've had similar lengthy searches for a drum, so that's just the way it goes.

Just order a pit barrel cooker and add a thermometer to it and maybe a second grate $269 to your door.

I had someone sandblast the inside of mine, dropped it off at 10am and picked it back up at 5pm the same day. $35 cash out the door. You should be able to find someone to sandblast it that is nearby.

That rust inhibitor should wash out with mineral spirits followed by some hot water sump,e green and a good scrubbing

I burned mine out with some pallets, but did not burn the lid as I did not want to warp it out of shape. I bought some orange oil based paint remover for the lid and it took the red liner off with little work and two applications. What did not burn out with the fire in the barrel itself was left as was and I am still cooking on it after over two years with no ill side effects. Getting all the red liner out is over rated in my opinion. Sand blasting is ok I guess, but not worth the effort or expense to me when I built mine. If I had a buddy that would do it for free, then it would be another matter. YMMV.

Blessings,
Omar

i had someone sandblast the inside of mine, dropped it off at 10am and picked it back up at 5pm the same day. $35 cash out the door. You should be able to find someone to sandblast it that is nearby.

my thoughts

Sandblasting is ideal but yea the weed burner is nice and would work..if not just to clean stuff up from time to time.

Whole Big Arse FireTruck came to my house during burnout someone had called in on my - I did have flames. 2 foot over the barrel top tho :becky:-no ticket but a Serious warning where I won't do another at my house...... He didn't say how much but said ticket would not be cheap.

What's the difference between a BBQ pit and people squeezing a bunch of lighter fluid on it versus the drum burnout? I don't see how you violated any code. You should of had them point out which code it was.

Just order a pit barrel cooker and add a thermometer to it and maybe a second grate $269 to your door.

You know that is a really good deal considering everything you have to do to a drum. However, I wish the PBC had ability to snuff out fire to conserve fuel. If it did, I'd get one. Also, the ability to sear/grill with one would be nice as well with an adjustable basket like the big poppa smoker.

I built my own drum, but bought the big poppa basket so I could sear too.

You can buy new or refurbished drums here in Chicago from

The Cary Company
1195 W Fullerton Ave, Addison, IL 60101
(630) 376-2400
http://www.thecarycompany.com/

It has been a few years, but it was like $50 for refurb and $70 for brand new. I have one of each. Get the new. The paint peels on the refurb. Just wash out with detergent when you get it.

Thanks for the feedback. I had reached out to the Cary Company to see about getting an unpainted, unlined drum with no rust inhibitor and no EPDM lid gasket and there was a minimum order of 20. But ordering one unlined, painted drum shouldn't be a problem. Also, the Cary drum is rated to 325 deg F. which is a tad on the low side.

I'm also talking with EBK Containers and Basco.

This was the sandblaster I've found: http://www.dakecoblasting.com/. I'm waiting on a quote but assuming they can do the inside and outside, I can give the inside a good wash and oil coat and slap some BBQ paint on the outside.

I noticed the pit barrel cooker but it looked it was only 30 gallons and I'd prefer the UDS. Just need to have some patience while tracking down the right drum. I'm hoping the sandblasting cost isn't too outrageous. Thanks for the advice so far though.

Is there reasons why the fire must be roaring and licking high in the sky?
A controled fire not much different to one used in cooking will heat the barrel enough to remove the lining and paint. If the athorities are apt to show up when smoke is reported,you will not be able to use the drum anyhow.

Now there was a story about some fracker South of Ft Worth Tx atracting a lot of attention while burning a barrel out. The problem wasn't the fire in the barrel so much as the whooping,holloring and dancing around it was. :pound:

Thanks for the feedback. I had reached out to the Cary Company to see about getting an unpainted, unlined drum with no rust inhibitor and no EPDM lid gasket and there was a minimum order of 20. But ordering one unlined, painted drum shouldn't be a problem. Also, the Cary drum is rated to 325 deg F. which is a tad on the low side.

I noticed the pit barrel cooker but it looked it was only 30 gallons and I'd prefer the UDS. Just need to have some patience while tracking down the right drum. I'm hoping the sandblasting cost isn't too outrageous. Thanks for the advice so far though.

Like I said, I've got 2 from Cary. No issues.

You don't need/want one without rust inhibitor. The rust inhitbitor is just a light coat of oil. If it doesn't have this, it will be all rust when you get it. A quick rinse with some Dawn works. The EPDM gasket isn't an issue either. Just scrape it out. And I would ignore the temp rating. That isn't for what you're using it for. Maybe that is when the paint would peel??? Who knows. But these are standard drums. More than likely, any drum you find in Chicago came from them. I guarantee that their drums are perfectly suited to building a UDS.

Another Chicago manufacturer. http://www.skolnik.com/ They would sell me one for about the same price, but it was easier to drive to Addison than the City.

And, if you're interested in a Pitbarrel cooker, PM me. I got one sitting here I don't use much and would be willing to sell you.

Back