MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Default Red box smoker deal

https://ssomd.com/products/red-box-s...dpjzqegbHZUW6A

No affiliation whatsoever. But for a small smoker that is similar to a backwoods, seems like a good deal at $226 plus shipping. I seem to remember some Brethren own this unit and maybe can chime in with their thoughts or pro and cons.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

I saw one of these for the first time a few months ago. Honest to God, Mark Lambert himself gave me the tour of the cooker in person, and I ate some food off of it. It's a very interesting cooker. I will consider one someday when the kids are gone and I'm cooking for just the wife and me.

This thing is very small. But, at the same time, it does have a uniqueness to it. Mark is a great dude and proud of his products; deservingly so. Thumbs up if you are looking to buy. Just make sure you check the dimensions before you buy.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I have had mine since they launched. Fun little cooker. It'll hold more food than you would think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I would think with three racks it could hold quite a bit, and should be pretty miserly with fuel. Tempting at that price. How is the seal?

Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Kade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I have had mine since they launched. Fun little cooker. It'll hold more food than you would think.

You sir, have quite the collection of cookers.
Kade is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
I would think with three racks it could hold quite a bit, and should be pretty miserly with fuel. Tempting at that price. How is the seal?
With the charcoal basket and maze i made i can run 8 hours on 25-30 pieces of charcoal. And that's the original kcomp that is really small. Once that little cook chamber is hot it doesn't take much to keep it there. There are no air leaks.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

i am thinking on picking one up .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Paul,

One of my sons is thinking about buying one. What temps have you been able to achieve?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Paul,

One of my sons is thinking about buying one. What temps have you been able to achieve?
I cook at 300-325 easily. I loaded too much charcoal once and around 375 the firebox door gasket started to melt and i ruined the paint above the fb door.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

do you ever use lump? So no problem getting up to temp and letting it run by itself? Water in the water pan?

Last edited by Robert; 02-17-2019 at 08:09 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #11
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Man, oh, man... that's tempting at $226 + shipping...
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I was eyeballing one of these last year at a higher price. Man o man. It's tough but I'm gonna pass. Bigger insulated cabinet in mind.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Lump? So no problem getting up to temp and letting it run by itself? Water in the water pan?
Like any insulated cabinet it's easier to raise the temp than to lower it. But with it being so small you need water or less fuel towards the end of the maze. I don't recommend lighting in a chimney and dumping in the charcoal basket. That might work better with an un-modified basket. I took out the water pan and replaced it with a flat piece of steel. I can control with a maze and no water. I would try it as is. It might work for you. I just don't like dealing with water.

Edit: never tried lump. Always thought it would run too hot.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Man, oh, man... that's tempting at $226 + shipping...

Not a bad price at all. He was trying to sell them through other stores etc and has decided to sell them direct only. Now about half price. I showed it to my son this evening and he immediately became interested. Perfect size for two to 10 or so people. Apparently PJ likes his pretty well. 75 pounds shipping weight.

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 02-17-2019 at 08:44 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #15
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Like any insulated cabinet it's easier to raise the temp than to lower it. But with it being so small you need water or less fuel towards the end of the maze. I don't recommend lighting in a chimney and dumping in the charcoal basket. That might work better with an un-modified basket. I took out the water pan and replaced it with a flat piece of steel. I can control with a maze and no water. I would try it as is. It might work for you. I just don't like dealing with water.

Edit: never tried lump. Always thought it would run too hot.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good little unit. How many wood chunks do you use in a typical run?

Robert