Chargriller Premium Kettle - Finally Fired It Up

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
$35 Brick Seek find.
Pros:
Taller than my weber kettle
Thermometer is accurate. Well at least it matched the Igrill mini that was at grate level.
Shelves on both sides
Easy to dump ash pan
Hinged lid
Heavier than I thought it would be
It's red!
Cons:
Grate at the same level as the cooker.... nearly lost a sausage as it rolled over the edge.
Intake and exhaust don't close airtight enough to shut down cooker.

Cook went as expected. No surprises. Everything works like it should. I thought it was gonna be really, really cheaply made. I'm pleasantly surprised. Since i already have a weber I probably would have never even considered it. Thanks Brick Seek.
cfa26e74fd937aaf013e81e5b6e6153e.jpg
fec4a2190c27748489250455605eb7f8.jpg
127835af89d676d9e96d2a25b0f46440.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s some fine looking chicken right there! Is that basically a Weber kettle knock off? The Weber kettle IMO is the best charcoal grill ever made. Simple and it just works :)

Nice looking chicken. Our local WM has one on clearance for $74 but I'm still not tempted. I have two Weber Kettles and two Performers so I don't need it.

rwalters, Weber Kettles are nice but I would have to disagree that they are the best charcoal grill out there. Well, maybe for the price but my PK grills do a better job than my Weber's ever have.

Nice looking chicken. Our local WM has one on clearance for $74 but I'm still not tempted. I have two Weber Kettles and two Performers so I don't need it.

rwalters, Weber Kettles are nice but I would have to disagree that they are the best charcoal grill out there. Well, maybe for the price but my PK grills do a better job than my Weber's ever have.

No worries... that’s why I said “IMO”... :)

The PK is one of the few common grills mentioned around here that I have never cooked on, so I cannot say authoritatively that the kettle is better... but I do think there is a reason that the kettle is the best selling charcoal grill on planet earth. Price, durability and functionality... it does have a lot going for it. That said, and I have mentioned this before... the day that PK unveils a model that exceeds 500 sq”, I’ll probably be the first in line. Then I can do a side by side and make my claims w/ a bit more authority... lol.

I think it's more a single wall version of the Weber Summit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No worries... that’s why I said “IMO”... :)

The PK is one of the few common grills mentioned around here that I have never cooked on, so I cannot say authoritatively that the kettle is better... but I do think there is a reason that the kettle is the best selling charcoal grill on planet earth. Price, durability and functionality... it does have a lot going for it. That said, and I have mentioned this before... the day that PK unveils a model that exceeds 500 sq”, I’ll probably be the first in line. Then I can do a side by side and make my claims w/ a bit more authority... lol.

Weber has done a great job of promoting their grills over the years and have sold them in many different stores so that people have had easy access to see them. PK's have had a more limited exposure and was out of business for quite a few years.

For the price, you can't beat a Weber Kettle and they are pretty durable. I cooked on a Kettle for many years before I started trying out other grills. I think the PK is more functional and I've had much better luck smoking on a PK compared to a Weber Kettle. IMO, the vent system on the PK is superior to the kettle. I prefer the old daisy wheel lower vents on the older Kettles compared the one touch system they use now.

Back