Grilled Shrimp Recipe?

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good grilled shrimp recipe? I was going to make my wife and I some steak and shrimp for Valentine's. I don't do shrimp all that much, but when I do I usually just shake on a little cajun seasoning and brush with butter while grilling. I was looking to change things up a little and figured I'd ask y'all for some new ideas!

I just used some Oakridge Smoky Chili Lime on some shrimp. Made a paste of 2Tbs of oil and 2Tbs of rub. In a ziplock for a few hours. Then I did them on the blackstone for tacos. They were a huge hit. You could skewer and grill them with the same result.

I use tequila, lime juice, garlic, S&P. Marinate for an hour or so then grill in the shell. My wife loves it on salad.

Prepare baked lemons - halve lemons and top with approximately 2 teaspoons of sugar. Bake in oven proof dish until sugar is melted. Toss Shrimp in a slurry of olive oil, minced garlic, dill. Grill over hot coals. Squeeze lemons over grilled shrimp and serve.

Easy to prepare, cook quickly and very tasty. Would go well with steak.

28633532997_1f24d1cc40.jpg

41712063660_364e0f2d3c.jpg

28633539597_5c1f0e5616.jpg

I love Green Lightning Shrimp by Steve Raichlen. You can reduce the heat by cutting back on the peppers, or you can jack it up if you're a chili head. It's a hit every time I serve it:

2-1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp
1 bunch cilantro, rinsed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
4 to 8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (for hotter shrimp, leave
the seeds in)
1 bunch scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic (3 cloves coarsely chopped, 2 cloves minced)
1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
Lime wedges, for serving
You’ll also need about 12 long (10- to12-inch) metal or bamboo skewers

1. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and then drain and blot them dry with paper towels. Peel and devein the shrimp. Thread the shrimp onto 2 parallel skewers, using 2 skewers for each kebab. Arrange the kebabs in a nonreactive baking dish.

2. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the cilantro for the garlic cilantro butter. Place the remaining cilantro, the jalapenos, scallions, chopped garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor and finely chop. With the machine running, add the olive oil and lime juice through the feed tube and puree to a bright green paste. Pour this marinade over the shrimp and let them marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes, turning the kebabs several times so they marinate evenly.

3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and the 3 tablespoons of reserved cilantro and cook until the garlic is fragrant and sizzling, but not browned, about 2 minutes. Keep the garlic cilantro butter warm until ready to use.

4. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.

5. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Drain the marinade from the shrimp kebabs and discard the marinade. Place the shrimp kebabs on the hot grate and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side, basting with the garlic cilantro butter. When done, the shrimp will turn pinkish white and feel firm to the touch. Transfer the grilled shrimp to a platter or plates, pour any of the remaining butter sauce over them, and serve with the lime wedges.

I reserve a little of the marinade before I poured it on the shrimp to serve as a dipping sauce.

tLQIUVLh.jpg

Last edited:
Shrimp Scampi goes great with steak, the garlic butter is also good for dipping the steak in.

I cook bacon wrapped shrimp and it's a hit that people can't get enough of.

Peel and devein shrimp, get big shrimp so it doesn't dry out too much while the bacon cooks. I use 16-20 count shrimp. You shouldn't need more than 12 since you'll have sides but you should get more for lunch leftovers!
Season with Old Bay and garlic powder and marinate in olive oil for an hour or two.
Get thin bacon so it stretches easy and let it come to room temp, cut the slab in half and wrap the whole shrimp with half a slice of bacon. After a few you'll figure out how to wrap easy.
Then skewer them and add the seasoning again on both sides.
Cook them on indirect heat but close enough to render the bacon fat. Remove when the bacon is done to your liking.

I sometimes add different sauces to caramelize. I've used bbq and Bulgogi sauce but I love a garlic butter sauce. I've cheated a few times and used store bought garlic bread spread and melted it down to baste them.

I love Green Lightning Shrimp by Steve Raichlen. You can reduce the heat by cutting back on the peppers, or you can jack it up if you're a chili head. It's a hit every time I serve it:

2-1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp
1 bunch cilantro, rinsed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
4 to 8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (for hotter shrimp, leave
the seeds in)
1 bunch scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic (3 cloves coarsely chopped, 2 cloves minced)
1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
Lime wedges, for serving
You’ll also need about 12 long (10- to12-inch) metal or bamboo skewers

1. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and then drain and blot them dry with paper towels. Peel and devein the shrimp. Thread the shrimp onto 2 parallel skewers, using 2 skewers for each kebab. Arrange the kebabs in a nonreactive baking dish.

2. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the cilantro for the garlic cilantro butter. Place the remaining cilantro, the jalapenos, scallions, chopped garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor and finely chop. With the machine running, add the olive oil and lime juice through the feed tube and puree to a bright green paste. Pour this marinade over the shrimp and let them marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes, turning the kebabs several times so they marinate evenly.

3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and the 3 tablespoons of reserved cilantro and cook until the garlic is fragrant and sizzling, but not browned, about 2 minutes. Keep the garlic cilantro butter warm until ready to use.

4. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.

5. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Drain the marinade from the shrimp kebabs and discard the marinade. Place the shrimp kebabs on the hot grate and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side, basting with the garlic cilantro butter. When done, the shrimp will turn pinkish white and feel firm to the touch. Transfer the grilled shrimp to a platter or plates, pour any of the remaining butter sauce over them, and serve with the lime wedges.

I reserve a little of the marinade before I poured it on the shrimp to serve as a dipping sauce.

tLQIUVLh.jpg

Man, Piney. That is a good looking plate. Must try.

Man, Piney. That is a good looking plate. Must try.

Thanks!

Trust me, the recipe truly rocks. Cut the heat down from the recipe, or jack it up.

It's a hit here every time I serve it. :-D

I'll make it for my daughter and I full strength plus - we love hot food. My Favorite Redhead? Not so much.

Mikhail, the original recipe has plenty of heat. Add the seeds if you need more fire power.

Got pics from a previous Throwdown. Do not have the recipe anymore but it's New Orleans style. Sorry that it's rather long but may help:

Yn0S71Z.jpg

1GgC2Bz.jpg

G6gibuU.jpg

ODBYKxB.jpg

RT9zhdC.jpg

Skewer them, lightly oil, and heavy dusting with Old Bay. Grill for a few minutes then hit them with scampi butter about a minute or two before taking them off the grill. Dang, now I'm hungry for these.

Skewer, spray with olive oil, Old bay then directly over the coals for a short ride, also Essence of Emirl Original is great on grilled shrimp too!

Tonite we skewered em with canola and Big Poppas Desert Gold. Seared on the Weber while the tri tip was resting after it RS. The BPS DG works good on the TT also with a layer of Cash Cow.

Back