Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thanks to you Farkers I’ve been eyeballing Poopers on InterWeb, YouTube and Pellet People Forums and have come to some Conclusions.......These are Smitty Conclusions - yours may vary.........

First what I consider Top Tier High End are Out - like Memphis n others are Out. Too High $.
Second - Lower End is Out. Seen too many people replacing controllers on PitBoss, Camp Chef and others due to Large temp swings ( up to 100*), temp overshoots and flame outs. They are replacing them with $200+ PID controllers
And these grills use little to No stainless.

Which leaves me with 2 categories :

High End (for me): picks would be a Mak 1 Star or a Blazin Grill Works Grand Slam or Grid Iron.

Mid Grade: 1st pick RecTec Stampede or Bull. -Better controller, stainless burn pot, shield, grease pan and grates. And their Customer Service Ranks High
2nd pick: Green Mountain Jim Bowie.

There’re are a couple others that would fall into those two groups but I don’t like them for one reason or another - some I just don’t like how they Look.

So OverAll if I Bumped my Head and went Goofey - I would order a RecTec Stampede with optional top grate and exhaust Vents . $988 to my Door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoDZIC3KDM&app=desktop

Now let’s get back to Gravity Fed and Insulated Cabinet talks.......:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Several I know bought the pellet grill / smokers and had to replace parts as you described because the cooker is not built to handle high heat / spikes, they are pissed for buying into the info commercial bs.
Getting repair parts were time consuming and expensive so they quit even trying.
Those who say they are considering one I tell to save their money for a more well built one if that is the direction they want to go..... or just get a proven product and learn it.
Personally, I will stick with charcoal and wood.

If a deal came along on a yoder ys640 I would be strongly tempted:)

Larry

Are you bored of the gravity feed already?

You’ve asked that twice now on 2 different threads .....No.
I always have Multiple Cookers/Smokers. Have had up to 10 at one time. I’m Down to 8 unless I count the 2 small portable grills then I’m still at 10. Don’t have to be Bored with One to get another one - Esp One of different Size or Type. Ideally I’d have a Small, Med. n Large of each type........:mrgreen:

I love my Rec tec bull, wifi and two probes built in 304 stainless Steele and the 6 year warranty and support cannot be beat. I have sold all my wsm and my battle box and went this route and do not regret it one bit.

I’d of kept the Battle box plus the RecTec......

So when will it be in your possession?:mrgreen:

I can’t afford One Right Now and Not Sure I want a pooper. Suck to buy One and then use it twice a year......... I’d like to borrow one for a month or 2 n see........

I've been looking at the Mak lineup and Blazin way too much lately. The Yoder too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Like Josh was sayin, that Yoder is a very good deal that Smitty has posted.

They prolly have the heaviest smoke profile of any of the pellet grills, they are a little hungry for pellets thou.

I can’t afford One Right Now and Not Sure I want a pooper. Suck to buy One and then use it twice a year......... I’d like to borrow one for a month or 2 n see........

Trust me you will use it more than twice a year. Theyre too easy not to. Hell, cook lasagna in it.

It is certainly not the best or only way to cook but it a good one to have in your arsenal.

Back