Smoked n' grilled salmon

Fillmore Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got some fishy pron! We've been doing a Farmer's market each weekend at our home, blowing-out avocados from our orchard. I started selling brisket and decided to add my smoked salmon to the mix. Proud to say, each weekend I sell-out on both brisket and salmon.

Nothing unusual about the brisket but I think I do salmon a bit different: wet brine, cold to warm smoke, finish on the grill to capture that maillard reaction. Set atop a fresh bagel, it's Da' Bomb! Or chopped-up and added to a tub of whipped cream cheese and served with wheat thin crackers, even the skinny people gather 'round and proclaim that they can't stop eating it. Something about the smoke flavor, salt & buttery flavor of salmon.

Got the picture sequence a bit out of order but you get the idea

Attachments

• Salmon 2.jpg
    Salmon 2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Salmon 1.jpg
    Salmon 1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Salmon 3.jpg
    Salmon 3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 164
  • Salmon 4.jpg
    Salmon 4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 165
Now I want smoked salmon.

Definitely a winner. I can understand why it sells out.

Excellent work on that salmon!

I hope you continue to sell out!

That looks awesome Steve, you have me drooling again....

Amen! I could really go for some of that with a schmear on a good bagel.

Keep crushing it.

Just wondering, did you remove the skin?

Also, what temp & time ?

Thank you! Looks Great!

That's some great lookin' salmon! And I'm sure it tastes even better! I wish my wife liked salmon, it would be in regular rotation here if she did.

WHOA!!!!!!

First there were no responses and I thought my Salmon pron wasn't interesting....but then I come back to find all these nice comments, THANKS GUYS!!!!

Bob, about the drooling.....please remember to stay hydrated! Reminds me of that time we went to the stripper bar but let's not go there :becky:

The wife is waiting for me to hop in the car and head to the farm but let me run some details by. My recipe evolved over the years as I tried different things. I'm really thinking I should do a video but aside from most forum members, this isn't something the typical backyard enthusiast is prepared to do.

Tell ya what, I'm a gonna cook some up later today so I'll snap some pics. The smoking/cooking process is a hint weird and unorthodox but I absolutely promise that this approach is genuinely different and unique compared to the way most people do smoked salmon.

Also worth noting, I do NOT like to eat this warm or off the grill. When it's right off the grill, it's just good. The real deal is when the salmon cools....I can't explain why but that's when it gets ultra-buttery and the perfect blend of salt n' smoke really explodes and melts in your mouth. Don't laugh but I almost let it 'age' for a while in the fridge before I eat it. The meat is just barely-barely-barely cooked, the second it goes from translucent to opaque is when I pull it off the grill.....literally 30-40 seconds to the 90-degree twist and then you flip it over and repeat on the next side. Salmon is fragile so for best results you absoutely want a teflon non-stick baking rack and a teflon grill pan. I used to grill on the BBQ but the uber-delicate salmon still tends to stick now and then.

Let me snap some pics and put a presentation together. Very few people finish their smoked salmon by flash-searing it on the grill. I've seen a similar finish but it's baked.....I'm combining the soft nature of almost raw salmon with the grilled maillard reaction that dazzles the pallet.

Sometimes I'm convinced that I don't make this salmon.....I'm merely the vessel by which a greater divine BBQ diety is manipuating me: you must channel your inner BBQ zen powers to achieve true Salmon divinity. Okay, I should tone it down on all this joking, some of you boys back South may take that stuff seriously. It's just damn good salmon, happy to share.....back at ya later tonight.

Alright guys, here we go.....and I'll apologize because I can't get the pics to show, only links and pics below....but you'll get it

I used to buy my salmon at Costco but pricing has gone way up! I found the best deal at Smart & Final, each skinless side is about $22-$25. This is Atlantic salmon that has been farmed. Oddly, the wild-caught just doesn't seem to taste as good or cook-up as nicely....go figure!

Remove from package, give it a good rinse, lay on cutting board and usually you can get about 6 pieces. I try to cut them into equal weight sized but let's be honest....the tail section is going to be tighter and have less fat content. It still taste great but the 'money cut' is towards the front, no doubt!

Now here's the deal with the brine: if you make it too salty, you end-up with a salt lick! If you leave it in the brine too long, you end-up with a salt lick! Not enough salt or not enough time and the flavor just isn't there. Getting the salinity and timing right is big-time critical. A general formula is to add enough salt so that a raw egg will float...but I dunno, I just roll with this:

8 cups water
1/2-cup kosher rock salt
1/4-cup apple/hickory/cherry smoked salt
about 1.5 cups brown sugar

You don't have to use the smoked salts, you simply want to use about 3/4-cup salt altogether. I usually start with about 4 cups hot water and then add all the salt & sugar, then I use an immersion blender to mix it all up....then add the remaining 4 cups of cold water. Add salmon, looks like this:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192345&stc=1&d=1618382908

After it cools (because you don't want to put something warm into the fridge) you want at least 6 hours but preferably over night. Do not go more than a full day, you'll get a salt lick! And yes, I use a wet brine. I realize most people go with a dry brine but have you noticed how the pieces shrink, darken and tighten-up? Sorry, I prefer my salmon big, fluffy and full of moisture....we're not making jerky here. Wet brine hands down!

Remove from brine and rinse each piece really well. Do not be concerned that you're rinsing off the flavor....you can not rub it off! Give each piece a complete wash-down letting your hands touch all the surfaces, about 6-9 seconds each piece. Definitely rinse the thinner sections really well, otherwise the salt may be overwhelming if you leave a film of the brine.

Same as any other recipe, put the pieces on a rack, pat dry with a paper towel and allow the film to develop on the surface, it's called a pellicle. You can put a fan (on low) near the salmon to help facilitate this process....BUT it's better to err on the side of too moist rather then too dry! Drying will shrink the meat and we all know that smoke is attracted to cool/moist surfaces. Honestly, I've skipped the whole pellicle step and had no loss of quality! Still, let it dry a bit but don't fear some moisture.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192346&stc=1&d=1618383471

Also, do note the use of teflon-coated baking racks, not easy to find! I found these on Amazon, made by Calphalon, about $17/each. Important: before you put the racks & salmon into the smoker, you must remove each piece of salmon, dry the rack, spray the rack with release and then put the pieces back. Even with non-stick the salmon will still manage to cling so yes, use spray release along with non-stick racks.

Now look, we all have different equipment. I have a Pitmaker Vault but I actually use a DCS gas grill that I have at home. I modified it. This is the backside, it has a long open slot:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192347&stc=1&d=1618383738

So I got a piece of metal, some hinges and basically made a damper

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192348&stc=1&d=1618383738

For the first hour I'm not using any heat from the grill. I used to use the internal smoker tray but recently switched to the A-maze-ing smoker tray and pellets, it's just too easy:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192349&stc=1&d=1618383896

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192350&stc=1&d=1618383896

You can do whatever you want. I used to take some wood chips, get them moist, wrap them in foil and perforate with some holes made by a fork. It doesn't matter, just expose the salmon to some smoke.....but remember, we're making smoked salmon, not an ashtray! Avoid the temptation to over-smoke the meat. A little smoke goes a long ways.....it's very easy to overdo it so keep it light.

After an hour, I turn on all the burners and set to low.....it may only take 10 minutes but you're looking for 2 things: a temp of 120F and some white stuff to surface.....this is called the Albumin, as the meat cooks it expels some protein so it's actually not fat. Some people refer to this as sweating the salmon.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192351&stc=1&d=1618384209

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192352&stc=1&d=1618384209

Next, get yourself a teflon coated skillet with grill lines. Again, Calphalon rocks! I used to use my DCS grill but good luck getting any grill to be nearly as non-stick as teflon! I roll with medium heat but my stove is a bit kick-ass so you may need a bit more but don't get too hot....

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192353&stc=1&d=1618384378

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192354&stc=1&d=1618384378

I do 2 pieces at a time. Put them down, wait about 30 seconds and give them both a 90-degree twist....wait another 30 seconds and flip them both over, 30 more seconds and another twist....then remove. It's going to get oily, do NOT over-cook. What we're doing here, besides making it look awesome, is achieving the maillard reaction....behold:

The Maillard reaction (/maɪˈjɑːr/ my-YAR; French: [majaʁ]) is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor.

To be open about it, when you see the fat sizzling, it's becoming trans fatty acids and the fats become joygasmic on the taste buds. When you see the sizzle, you know it's gonna taste the schizzle!

A few tips:

For the first piece, you can use a bit of oil just to ensure some instant sizzling. Clean the skillet between pieces or when grizzle develops. I use a dry paper towel. Also, it's best to use 2 spatulas to manipulate the pieces, definitely use some thin plastic spatulas and if one can be a long/thin one, all the better!

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192356&stc=1&d=1618384603

Next, protect the thinner sections! These thin sections are often the belly cut and these are the money meat. I slip the spatula under the thin sections to prevent them from over-cooking....like a crutch or something. It's a bit of surgery but it's worth it, otherwise the thinnest pieces can overcook, dry, darken or fall off.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192355&stc=1&d=1618384603

Salmon is soft & delicate, don't be ashamed to use a skillet and teflon. Allow to cook a bit and then seal into individual vacuum bags. I'll admit to finding these sealed bags in the fridge MANY months later and it's still perfectly good!

Get yourself a fresh bagel from a legit bakery. Get some whipped light cream cheese.....toast the bagel to a perfectly light golden texture, let cool enough so the cream cheese won't run, add some salmon and we call this the Diet Breaker....because I don't care how disciplined and determined a person is; the taste is so damn good that you will be anticipating having another half bagel as you eat the one in your hand. The taste is complex, buttery, flawlessly salty/savory and yet simple & divine at the same time.

Lastly, if you somehow made it too salty do not despair! Get a tub of whipped light cream cheese, break-up the salmon, add into the tub of cream cheese and mix: serve with wheat thin crackers and people will gather around it, like a troft, and stand there shoving crackers into their mouths and proclaiming that they can't stop themselves. I'm sorry if it seems I'm building it up but I've seen it happen again and again and again. Last week some women drove up in her fancy Mercedes and dropped $150 on me for 7 pieces! She took the biggest pieces and the best looking ones...but still, she paid it! :becky:

And don't start trying to get jiggy with it....don't spray some Kentucky bouron cinnamon over the salmon while it cooks or adding molasses to the brine. No paprika sprinkled over the top or pink Himalayan rock salt right before it goes into the vac bag. Like AF's Salt & Pepper, the recipe is flawless just the way it is.....but no, go ahead and 'fix' it and tell me how you made it better, LOL

So let's review: buy the skinless salmon, rinse, cut into pieces, brine with 8 cups water to 3/4-cup salt for 6-16 hours, rinse very well, paper towel and let dry a bit, cold smoke for an hour, apply heat until 120F, finish on the grill. Post pics....oh, and enjoy! :thumb:

Attachments

• In the brine.jpg
    In the brine.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Drying on the rack.jpg
    Drying on the rack.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Flap down.jpg
    Flap down.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Flap up.jpg
    Flap up.jpg