Street Meat (Roadkill) Will Be Legal to Harvest in July

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
First we legalize sports gambling, and now this. This law gives a new meaning to 'Food Truck' and 'Street Taco'. :biggrin1: The eagles and hawks do a pretty good job keeping up with rabbits or prairie dogs, but we have a lot of pronghorn and deer that graze in the good grass along the sides of the road and fall prey to traffic.

From the article: If the idea of seeing a squashed raccoon in the middle of Interstate 80, picking it up with a shovel and putting it in your backseat, and then throwing it on the barbecue when you get home sounds like a great idea, you’re in luck.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/0...-up-roadkill-eating-it-will-be-legal-in-july/

Kinda funny what the folks we pay to run the country spend their time (and our money) on isn’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First we legalize sports gambling, and now this. This law gives a new meaning to 'Food Truck' and 'Street Taco'. :biggrin1: The eagles and hawks do a pretty good job keeping up with rabbits or prairie dogs, but we have a lot of pronghorn and deer that graze in the good grass along the sides of the road and fall prey to traffic.

From the article: If the idea of seeing a squashed raccoon in the middle of Interstate 80, picking it up with a shovel and putting it in your backseat, and then throwing it on the barbecue when you get home sounds like a great idea, you’re in luck.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/0...-up-roadkill-eating-it-will-be-legal-in-july/
I have visited Wyoming once.Went there to shoot prairie dogs.Was a fun trip.Saw more pronghorns than people.It was nice.

I have visited Wyoming once.Went there to shoot prairie dogs.Was a fun trip.Saw more pronghorns than people.It was nice.

They say we have more pronghorns than the rest of the continent. Regardless, 'Speed Goats' are a sight to see.

AiP54mv.jpg

They say we have more pronghorns than the rest of the continent. Regardless, 'Speed Goats' are a sight to see.

AiP54mv.jpg

Those things were everywhere when we were there.Had to stop to let them cross the road.Still better than dealing with people.

I see that Johnsonville Brats commercial with the two guys in the semi hauling a grill loaded with brats. If you hit something, throw it on the grill and continue to your destination. Lunch is ready when you arrive.

Years ago we were coming home from our annual deer hunt and came upon a huge doe at the edge of the ditch. We had one tag left so why not? She was still warm and flexible, picked her up and at the next gravel we pulled over and field dressed it. We always hung them for a week and butchered the next weekend. When we skinned that one it was a sight to see. the whole back was blood infused goo and the hind quarter was the same.
All in all we used the front quarters and that was it.
Never again.
Ed

I think I will pass on road kill I had a patient once that picked up a deer and took it home He had all kinds of maggots and other bugs in his apt

They're gorgeous. Wonder what they taste like.

People describe the flavor several ways from mild to gamey to skunky. Selection and handling after harvesting makes all the difference in the world. Ideally it's best to take one early in the day and pick an animal that has been inactive, like from a herd that is just grazing. When field dressing, the carcass needs to be rinsed and cooled out with ice as quickly as possible. Feed is a key component. We have this shrub called sagebrush ↓↓↓ and if their diet is mainly that plus native grass, the meat is stronger. If they graze along a river or stream or have access to meadows or hayfields the meat is milder.

KYg8vZL.png

Pronghorns are from the goat family and since they are the 2nd fastest land animal in the world, the meat is lean and has a fine grain. I've eaten it my entire life and like deer my favorite are the backstraps, neck roasts and shoulders. The meat is excellent for jerky and can be cut with pork for sausage.

Guess I won’t be scraping any meat off our California highways anytime soon. :sad:

Back