Costco: Cowboy Lump

I just got back from Costco and saw it. I was tempted, but opted for 2 double packs of Kingsford Professional briqs instead.

A couple years ago Lowe's had Cowboy Southern Style on clearance for $3.99 bag. I bought 22 bags. I could only see out the windshield and driver side mirror driving home. Charcoal stacked to the ceiling in the back seat and passenger seat, and full trunk. Surprised I didn't get pulled over. Anyhow, it was a steal and no complaints with Cowboy Southern Style. I know they have two versions or used too. I may check Costco this weekend. Thanks.

Bought one bag about five years ago. Lumber scrap, some type of door casing or mounding and a rock. Excessive popping and sparks flying all over. Never again.

A couple years ago Lowe's had Cowboy Southern Style on clearance for $3.99 bag. I bought 22 bags. I could only see out the windshield and driver side mirror driving home. Charcoal stacked to the ceiling in the back seat and passenger seat, and full trunk. Surprised I didn't get pulled over. Anyhow, it was a steal and no complaints with Cowboy Southern Style. I know they have two versions or used too. I may check Costco this weekend. Thanks.

Home Depot had a similar sale a few years back on Weber briqs (best briqs of all time imo). $4 for 20# bags and I went home packed. Still have a few bags Im saving since its been discontinued

I burned through a bag of cowboy lump a year or so ago. Nothing out of the ordinary, burned clean and no weird stuff in the bag. I'd have no problem buying more but I still have a stack of Western 30#'s. I think its worth revisiting a brand now and then after a bad experience, maybe you got a random bad batch, or maybe they've cleaned up their QA or maybe the bag was mishandled at retail. By swearing off a brand permanently, you'll soon have few choices.

Lump is hardwood that has been heated to a high temperature in the absence of oxygen. The process drives off many chemical impurities that cause natural wood to burn with a visible flame and smoke, leaving behind almost pure carbon that burns cleanly without producing much smoke or flame. Carbon is extremely brittle and breaks very easily when handled roughly.

You'll find the the small broken pieces are not a product of the manufacturer, but rather the result of the retail storage and handling. The manufacturer screens the lump to weed out dust and small pieces that are then recycled into charcoal briquette production. To avoid poor quality bags; choose your bags carefully from the center of the pallet, and slowly tilt the bag to listen for the amount of small pieces or dust.

Awesome story! Charcoal deals are amazing to find. Feels like you can cook for ages.

Sams, if you have a membership, has a variety of charcoal from RO that's $19 for 30 at the moment. Not sure if its at every store or not though. Seems a lot more dense than regular RO(which I had a bad experience with recently). I'm more hopeful with this stuff

ef21voWl.jpg

It0lHNNl.jpg

Going to burn it tomorrow for a rib cook in my MB 560. I actually bought it b/c the RO lump bag I had was all tiny pieces with 1/3 of the bag remaining. Too dang small to use on the MB 560.

Lots of small unusable pieces, store handling or not. I use to start burn pile with a chimney full. Best use for this stuff.

Purchased it on 2 different occasions. Lots of small shards and dust.

Back