MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #16
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Wow, wife and I went to Goldee's for lunch on a Friday in early July. Best brisket I've ever had. We got there right at opening time and the line was fairly short, only about a half hour to get in. I think the line this Friday will now be four times as long.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't been to Franklin since 2015. They were probably hurt by Covid-19 as they were maybe the one place that never opened the dining room. The food is going to suffer if you don't eat it until you take it somewhere.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #18
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude9999 View Post
Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?
Others have gotten better IMO. Aaron doesn't even cook anymore. You can even see he's not listed as a pit master on the Texas Monthly rankings. I had the chance to work with Aaron side by side for a few hours back in 2017 and he told me then he is more of a maintenance man at the restaurant and doesn't tend pits anymore. Just makes sure everything is in working order.

His former employees are sprinkled all over the Top 50 list including Goldee's at #1.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #19
BuckN BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I was at Hutchins BBQ about two weeks ago while in Frisco for a wedding and it the brisket and sausage was top notch. Apparently John Mueller has gone to work for them and may have upped the game there.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #20
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Default Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
Others have gotten better IMO. Aaron doesn't even cook anymore. You can even see he's not listed as a pit master on the Texas Monthly rankings. I had the chance to work with Aaron side by side for a few hours back in 2017 and he told me then he is more of a maintenance man at the restaurant and doesn't tend pits anymore. Just makes sure everything is in working order.

His former employees are sprinkled all over the Top 50 list including Goldee's at #1.

Aaron hasn’t cooked on a regular basis for a very long time, which I find remarkable. It’s pretty tough to find, train and motivate hourly employees to turn out top quality BBQ every day, year after year.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #21
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I went to the Switch in Dripping Springs and the BBQ was top notch. Neither it or the Austin location made the Top 50. The original got an honorable mention. Pecan Lodge always put out good stuff and was a former no 2. It's now an honorable mention. I would still recommend it to anyone. I've been to Cattlelack's which was unbelievably good at least that day. I think it fully deserves a top 10. I think an "honorable mention" is almost as good as being on the list in terms of quality.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #22
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude9999 View Post
Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?

It's not that Franklin has slipped but there are lots of new places that are really innovative with their menu's and the new list praises that highly. So many new places are doing so much more than the Texas trinity for meats or just potato salad, beans and slaw. Lot's of the new places do the classics really well and then have a bunch of creative options on top of that.

I think overall the list was pretty good, no one is ever going to agree on anything so subjective. There are places i've been that didn't make the list that i think are better than places that did make it but that's just my opinion. It's a shame none of the lockhart places made the list, they are the reason there is a list to begin with.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #23
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

I've never gotten to do the Texas BBQ Vacation, but I was lucky enough to be in Longview and have Bodacious on Mobberly when it was ranked #4 on the list in 2017. Unfortunately the pitmaster left and it isn't the same today. I was there again in July. I can only imagine how good the 'cue is in the other Top 10 joints.........
Old 10-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #24
redchaserron
Full Fledged Farker

Franklin's BBQ posted the following on their Facebook Page today, very much a class act.

"Holy moly. @TexasMonthly put together a beautiful list of the Top 50 bbq joints in Texas. It was 8 years ago that we were named the No. 1 bbq joint in Texas. 4 years ago we were named number 2. And now we are named No. 7. Our pitmasters Jordan Jackson, Megan Nesland and Matthew Van Orden and the entire team are putting out some of the best food we have ever put out --so that leads us to believe that the bbq in this state has truly never been better. Congrats to all of the restaurants on this list. Creativity and tradition seem to be bonding beautifully in this new form of Texas Barbecue and we are honored to be a part of it. "
Old 10-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #25
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Had a little more time to check out the list thoroughly. A lot of new names on the list and curious how well they'll fare down the road.

On my next trip after revisiting Valentina's I want to do:

Truth

Micklethwait's

Stiles Switch

Snow's

Either Smitty's or Kreuz for hommage. Actually probably Louie Mueller
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 10-19-2021 at 04:01 PM..
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #26
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post

Either Smitty's or Kreuz for hommage. Actually probably Louie Mueller
Kreuz is my favorite in that area.

I was happy to see that Dozier's (about 6 miles from me and Fulshear's BBQ joint since 1957) made the top 100. So did Brett's BBQ shop in Katy, which is ~30 min drive from me, but very close to where I used to live before.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:06 PM   #27
theanthonyv
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavarreQ View Post
I’m gonna agree and disagree with this thought. I’ve ate average bbq at historically well known bbq locations and I’ve ate great bbq at modern new locations and vise versa. End of the day I’m gonna choose the best tasting food every time over history! Now will I drink more beers at an old school bbq environment vs the new modern environment to watch the latest college football game is a whole differnt story����
Fair enough. I totally respect that viewpoint. However, I assume that you’re not from Texas. If that’s true, then you might not be able to possess the same sentiment about these long-standing TX joints that have weathered decades and served generations of Texans. That atmosphere very much can be part of the total TX bbq experience. It doesn’t mean that a new place with great food but less legacy can’t be great overall too. It just means that some of these older places that haven’t jumped on the ‘craft bbq’ bandwagon with all of its lathered tallow and such can still be great when you consider the totality of what they offer to all of the senses.
theanthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #28
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanthonyv View Post
It’s not a bad thing to have new entrants with more modern takes on smoking meat. But what the list fails to capture, IMO, is that, as much as the food itself, BBQ is about the familial atmosphere and the history / tradition of the TX towns and the people themselves. Sure, that will evolve over time, but BBQ greatness isn’t solely about how succulent the beef cheek is or how moist the brisket is. It’s equally about the heritage and communal nature of these places. When considering all variables that comprise a great TX BBQ experience, I simply can’t put a joint like Interstellar on the same plane as a place like Louie Mueller.
This is why I ALWAYS stop at Muellers in Taylor, TX when heading from Austin/San Antonio back home. I LIKE the old school environment. And I still LOVE their brisquet.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #29
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Kreuz is my favorite in that area.

I was happy to see that Dozier's (about 6 miles from me and Fulshear's BBQ joint since 1957) made the top 100. So did Brett's BBQ shop in Katy, which is ~30 min drive from me, but very close to where I used to live before.
Thanks Sleeb!

Im open to suggestions. Especially from you guys. Kreuz was closed on our way to Black's.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #30
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckN BBQ View Post
I was at Hutchins BBQ about two weeks ago while in Frisco for a wedding and it the brisket and sausage was top notch. Apparently John Mueller has gone to work for them and may have upped the game there.

I came here to post this. I haven’t had TX bbq in over 3 years and it’s been 7 since Franklin but Hutchins McKinney was in my backyard and I cannot imagine it getting better with John Mueller in the mix.