MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles
Default Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas

Texas Monthly ranks it's Top 50 BBQ Joints every four years and here's this year's:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interac...WVGpQ9DV-nWsag

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
sandro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : sandro

Good to see Leroy & Lewis up there
🇺🇸 Insta @sandrobbq
🇮🇹 YouTube sandrobbq
sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

There's places I love that can't even make the list these days. The competition is insane.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I think what happens is that for a few places it just overwhelms them, at the expense of many other fine BBQ joints.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I still dont think Franklin should be in the top 10 these days.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
a7las
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : A7las

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Who would you put in his place and why?
Old 10-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Pretty solid list overall. A couple of surprises in the Top 10 and a few surprises not on the Top 50.

For those into BBQ Restaurant Reviews I ask you consider subscribing to my YouTube Channel. I have created Playlist of my personal reviews I've done so far of the TM Top 10 and TM Top 50.

http://www.bowersbarbecue.com
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #8
theanthonyv
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

It’s not a bad thing to have new entrants with more modern takes on smoking meat. But what the list fails to capture, IMO, is that, as much as the food itself, BBQ is about the familial atmosphere and the history / tradition of the TX towns and the people themselves. Sure, that will evolve over time, but BBQ greatness isn’t solely about how succulent the beef cheek is or how moist the brisket is. It’s equally about the heritage and communal nature of these places. When considering all variables that comprise a great TX BBQ experience, I simply can’t put a joint like Interstellar on the same plane as a place like Louie Mueller.
theanthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Nice!

Chose to go to Black's in Lockhart instead of Truth while out there and wasn't impressed. Tried to go on my last day which was a Monday and they were closed. Def on my list next round.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanthonyv View Post
It’s not a bad thing to have new entrants with more modern takes on smoking meat. But what the list fails to capture, IMO, is that, as much as the food itself, BBQ is about the familial atmosphere and the history / tradition of the TX towns and the people themselves. Sure, that will evolve over time, but BBQ greatness isn’t solely about how succulent the beef cheek is or how moist the brisket is. It’s equally about the heritage and communal nature of these places. When considering all variables that comprise a great TX BBQ experience, I simply can’t put a joint like Interstellar on the same plane as a place like Louie Mueller.
Dude I agree with you 100% that's why I kinda put them in different categories. Snows bbq's food is good, but not top 10 good but the environment and people (at least pre Netflix) was one of my all time favorites. On the other end of the spectrum Cattleack has amazing bbq, but the atmosphere of being in an industrial complex doesn't do it for me.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #11
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
Dude I agree with you 100% that's why I kinda put them in different categories. Snows bbq's food is good, but not top 10 good but the environment and people (at least pre Netflix) was one of my all time favorites. On the other end of the spectrum Cattleack has amazing bbq, but the atmosphere of being in an industrial complex doesn't do it for me.
Yep heard that about Snow's. As far as Truth, it was like a coin toss. Brethren Andy (LYU70) and his bro picked me up from the hotel and when I jumped in his truch he was like left or right? So we ended up at Black's and both of us thought is was meh though his bro Bubba like it.

Nice channel btw! I like that you bbq crawl more frequently.

Oh and Franklin was farkin' amazing btw!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #12
NavarreQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanthonyv View Post
I’m gonna agree and disagree with this thought. I’ve ate average bbq at historically well known bbq locations and I’ve ate great bbq at modern new locations and vise versa. End of the day I’m gonna choose the best tasting food every time over history! Now will I drink more beers at an old school bbq environment vs the new modern environment to watch the latest college football game is a whole differnt story🤫🤣
NavarreQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #13
thedude9999
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?
thedude9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #14
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Leroy and Lewis is 100% top notch Texas BBQ. I've tried quite a few BBQ places in Texas and so far most have been underwhelming. Leroy and Lewis absolutely knocked it out of the park with some of the best pulled pork I've ever had in my life. Their barbacoa was also insanely delicious. Of course the brisket was superb but they're serving Waygu so that's kind of expected. Super nice guys who let me look at their smokers and were 100% open for chatting about BBQ when they had a few minutes.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:29 AM   #15
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude9999 View Post
Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?

nope
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote