MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Any Dallas / Fort Worth Recomendations

Heading into DFW tonight, any outstanding restaurants I should visit?
BBQ, Tex-Mex, little Mom and Pop places. Last time I was there i found a great little Donut Shop in Haltom City.

I plan on visiting the Stockyards Steak House, but have a week of empty days for other recommendations. Open to any recommendations for great food.

Thanks
Bob
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

On the recommendation of Frognot, I tried Heim Barbecue right outside of Love Field and it was very good, if you are in the mood for that type of cuisine. It makes me ready for another North Texas Bash just so I can go back.
This is fatty brisket, jalapeno cheddar sausage, bacon burnt ends, potato salad and Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese. I know you usually don't use sauce with your meals, and that cup of sauce remained unopened because nothing needed it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210423_110951041.jpg (50.3 KB, 147 views)
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Bucee's is the one place I make sure to eat when I'm in Dallas. Then In-N-Out.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
LYU370

407BBQ north on I-35W in Argyle. Killer.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Bucee's is something to behold, think of a WalMart with 100 gas pumps. No 18 wheelers allowed. And yep, In-N-Out beats Whataburger hands down.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
DarkStar11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

There's so much great barbeque around here that the list gets long quick.
407, Goldee's, Panther City, Daynes, are what come to mind on the Fort Worth side.
Terry Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Slow Bone, and Cattleack on the Dallas side.
Meshack's in Garland is a great spot for ribs. No seating.

Tex-mex/Mexican - Avila's in Dallas is awesome. Ojeda's just down the road from it is pretty darn good, too. El Pueblo in Oak Cliff makes great Mexican food, but they sometimes hit folks with a "gringo tax" and some folks find the neighborhood a little sketchy. La Mexicana up in Denton is good - great migas. Joe T. Garcia's is a Fort Worth institution. There's a local chain called Blue Goose Cantina that lots of folks like.

Norma's Cafe in Oak Cliff and Mama's Daughters Diner (original is Dallas Design District) are home-cookin' classics (I think Norma's is better). All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum is worthwhile (great everything, but the chili, chicken fried steak, and bacon are all noteworthy). Rodeo Goat (several locations) has great burgers. Easy Slider in Deep Ellum is great, too. If a gastropub is something you want to check out, maybe try Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. A pretty nice restaurant in downtown Fort Worth is Reata.

Last edited by DarkStar11; 07-26-2021 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: added All Good Cafe
DarkStar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Bucee's is something to behold, think of a WalMart with 100 gas pumps. No 18 wheelers allowed. And yep, In-N-Out beats Whataburger hands down.
I mostly agree about the burgers at In-N-Out vs. Whataburger especially given the price difference, but In-N-Out fries are disgusting while Whataburger onion rings are one of the best fast food items available.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:50 AM   #8
IamMadMan

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the recommendations, a lot to digest (pun intended). Due to small screen and old age eyes, internet access will be limited for me from here on, but I'll check in a couple times a day to see if there are new recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
On the recommendation of Frognot, I tried Heim Barbecue right outside of Love Field and it was very good, if you are in the mood for that type of cuisine. I know you usually don't use sauce with your meals, and that cup of sauce remained unopened because nothing needed it
I'll be near the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station (Carswell Field), so I am close to Heim. Heim and Angelo's both have 4.5 stars, will definitely try Heim. Surprised you picked up on my little use of sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
407 BBQ north on I-35W in Argyle. Killer

Many people rave about WhataBurger, I guess I had a bad experience, a very greasy bland burger. Had to put ketchup and mustard on it for some flavor, I guess I'll try a different location.

I'll agree with sliding billy, the onion rings were good.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar11 View Post
There's so much great barbeque around here that the list gets long quick.
Wow, what a list, Thanks......

Last edited by IamMadMan; 07-27-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Old 07-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Two in the Fort Worth area that I haven't been to but really want to check out are Hurtado BBQ and Panther City BBQ. Have heard really good things about both.

https://hurtadobbq.com/

https://www.panthercitybbq.com/

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Last trip to Arizona, I popped into In-N-Out. I'd heard so much about them. It turned out to be pretty similar to every other fastfood burger I'd had. Yeah, there's a little bit of variation, but nothing to get worked up about. I seem to recall the fries sucked. I have no intention of going back unless I'm very hungry with nothing else available. Given that you are in Texas, with BBQ and Mexican food on every corner, that would be the last place I would go.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
IamMadMan

Can't figure out how to post pictures from my tablet, so a message without pictures.

Found a donut shop with incredibly light pillowy melt in your mouth donuts. Dukes Donuts, what A wonderful delight.

I have to thank ronbrad62 and Frognot for recommendations on Heim BBQ. A home run for great bbq and sides. The downside for me was that the potato salad and coleslaw had a ranch base. Everyone else loved them.

Ronbrad62 was right, no need to think about sauce. Although it was on the table no one even looked for it. The Bacon Burnt Ends were fantastic!

More updates to follow.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 07-28-2021 at 05:48 PM..
Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #12
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Glad you liked it, Bob! Besides hanging with the brethren in Texas, that is my reason for wanting to go back.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
IamMadMan

Ventured out to Riscky's BBQ for lunch, nothing great. Ventured to Edelwiess German restaurant, not great but good food. Dark paneling from the 60-70's era with dark carpets really makes it look dark and dreary. After a couple liters of Spaten you don't notice it any more, LOL.

Today I'm venturing out for Tex-Mex on DarkStar11's recommendations after some shopping. Headed out to the Joint Base Commissary to see what they have to offer before going to H E B in Burleson.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 07-29-2021 at 07:54 AM..
Old 07-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #14
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

It's been Many years ago but when I went to Lawry's it was nice if you'd like to lighten your bank account.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #15
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
It's been Many years ago but when I went to Lawry's it was nice if you'd like to lighten your bank account.
Holy crap, you weren't kidding, just looked at the menu.