• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best way to clean out Pellet Grill--Shop vac is dead!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I bought a cheap shop vac when I got my RT 590 last July. After sucking out tons of pellets and ash the shop vac has kicked the bucket. I am looking for any recommendations that may be better than a shop vac. I remember back in the day someone talking about a bucket with a head suction unit (maybe?). I just want to purchase something that will last and the only thing it is going to do is vacuum out my pellets. Thanks.

So I bought a cheap shop vac when I got my RT 590 last July. After sucking out tons of pellets and ash the shop vac has kicked the bucket. I am looking for any recommendations that may be better than a shop vac. I remember back in the day someone talking about a bucket with a head suction unit (maybe?). I just want to purchase something that will last and the only thing it is going to do is vacuum out my pellets. Thanks.

How did it kick the bucket? What is it not doing? Did you try changing the filter bag?? If no, try changing the filter bag and if yes, then I would invest in a better quality Shop-Vac. I’ve always said that a Shop-Vac is a pellet grills best friend..👈. Good luck

I remember back in the day someone talking about a bucket with a head suction unit (maybe?).

I've been using the bucket head vacuum that you can get from Home Depot for $30 for over a year and I think it serves the purpose well.

For $30 I don't worry about ruining it with ash or grease and accept that replacement is inevitable.

How did it kick the bucket? What is it not doing? Did you try changing the filter bag?? If no, try changing the filter bag and if yes, then I would invest in a better quality Shop-Vac. I’ve always said that a Shop-Vac is a pellet grills best friend..👈. Good luck

It won't suck anymore. It happened in the middle of cleaning it out one day was getting ash out and then, nothing.

How about this shop vac made for ash? I got one and used it last week, works a treat and it's still on sale.

https://www.shopvacstore.com/products/copy-of-shop-vac%C2%AE-3-5-gallon-3-0-peak-hp-wall-mount-wet-dry-vac

This looks like an excellent idea, especially with it being 1/2 off too! Awesome find!

I too have a vac specifically for fireplace ashes. They have metal filters but still get real plugged up. I use my regular shop vac to clean the filter after knocking ash in the trash can.

How about this shop vac made for ash? I got one and used it last week, works a treat and it's still on sale.

https://www.shopvacstore.com/products/copy-of-shop-vac%C2%AE-3-5-gallon-3-0-peak-hp-wall-mount-wet-dry-vac

I have the shop-vac ash vac for my pellet cooker and it works great. It has a metal mesh pre filter built into the lid and the hepa filter goes between the plastic motor housing and the lid.
The hose is metal lined inside and is fairly short and rigid. A regular small diameter shop vac hose mates perfectly to the end of the metal lined hose and it works great.

I’m glad to see that the company who bought Shop-Vac out of bankruptcy last year continue to make the ash vac. I was starting to worry about getting filters for it in the future.
BTW, the replacement hepa filters for this vac now cost about $50 each.

Last edited:
I have a little 1x1 shop vac I purchased years ago and still going strong. I did switch to using a cheap paintbrush for the ash in the bottom and using a 4" plastic putty knife for a scoop. Then I will go back with the shop vac for better clean and firepot. I did mainly so I wouldn't have to clean the shop vac so often. Works well and not much difference in time. I will use a blower when I do a big clean and empty the hopper to blow any sawdust out of the auger

They all stop sucking at some point. Take off the filter and use compressed air and blow out the filter. Wear bad clothes, goggles, and a mask. An easier solution is just buy a new filter, but that might get expensive to replace every time it clogs. Make sure the hose isn’t gunked up either. I have found cold coal chunks can cause it to bog down as well. Good luck.

I think your Shop-Vac has a blockage due to the pellets being sucked up along with the pellet ash. Just do a thorough breakdown and inspection and clear out all the debris that’s found…. Along with changing out the filter bag. I’m pretty sure if all those steps are done, your shop-vac will come back to life.

Last edited:
I got tired of hosing out the vacuum hose, emptying the big Shop Vac, using my leaf blower to blow out the filter all the way down the driveway (huuuuuuge dust cloud lol poor neighbors!)... I bought a Dust Buster just for my RT-590. Just got it, we will see how long this lasts. Hand held, easy cleanup, don't care if it smells like BBQ because it's not getting used in my vehicles or anywhere else.

Gore Cleanstream filter. Washable and will keep the ash out of the motor.

I'm using a DeWalt DCV581H vacuum. Runs on 20v battery pack or 120v. It came with a HEPA filter similar to the Cleanstream. I wash the filter every time I empty it, which probably isn't often enough.

Excellent ideas all over the place. I do like the idea of using the vacuum in the fire pot and doing more sweeping out of the heavy ash. I could definitely see where that would be beneficial. Y'all rock!

Back