MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #31
Northwoods Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Man that Bandera put a whoopin on your Weber... ouch.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #32
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
I could be wrong but looks like the lidis chipped, the lid holder is bent (could be reshaped) the legs are bent or is it the bottom leg holders that are bent? over all, much better than I was thinking when I thought about an old 'dera squashing it.

Just let me know before you put it on CL. I'll take it off ur hands! lol.

The chips are an eye sore but nothing to cry about. The leg holders are dimpled into the kettle and the rear legs still straight. Yeah the holder is bent but easily fixable. All in all not terrible. The base of the kettle is the only issue and I may be able to bang it into shape adding a few battle scars. Then again I will see how the parents deal with it. Maybe they will come forward and do the right thing. The idea was mentioned but I won't press the issue. Just remember it as time goes by. I also still have weber to go to. From all the feedback I have a good feeling about weber helping me out.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #33
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That cooker will be fine. You should see the condition mine was in when it arrived. Straighten everything out and keep on grillin.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #34
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Sounds like something that could happen to all of us and could have been a real disaster.

Sorry for the kettle, however, I think we should all look at the silver lining in this situation.

Truth be told, you may have gotten off easy.

Since that bandera fell over, likely off the edge of the patio, count your lucky stars it didn't fall on that six year old (as you already have). A few hundred dollar piece of metal is nothing compared to a lawsuit for an injury that occurred on your property. Instead of the parents apologizing to you and reimbursing you for a kettle, you could be apologizing to them and reimbursing them for medical costs and pain and suffering for what might be argued as your negligence.

Now that would hurt.

I'm glad you shared the experience. We should all be very conscious of safety when cooking. The danger is always there. Mix in kids and its even more probable that something could go wrong. I'm always concerned about burns with kids around, never thought of falling equipment.

I'm not trying to place blame on you, the accident was likely the result of a bunch of minor variables that added up. I'm just thankful that you shared the story and as the cliche goes "at least no one got hurt." We all need to remember that what happens around our bbqs is ultimately our responsibility, even with crazy kids (or drunk neighbors) running around.

Your friendship, that six year olds safety, and your homeowners insurance is more important than the "piece of steel." I think you have a good perspective of it all and handled yourself well.

I hope Weber pulls through for you.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #35
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82muchhomework View Post
Sounds like something that could happen to all of us and could have been a real disaster.

Sorry for the kettle, however, I think we should all look at the silver lining in this situation.

Truth be told, you may have gotten off easy.

Since that bandera fell over, likely off the edge of the patio, count your lucky stars it didn't fall on that six year old (as you already have). A few hundred dollar piece of metal is nothing compared to a lawsuit for an injury that occurred on your property. Instead of the parents apologizing to you and reimbursing you for a kettle, you could be apologizing to them and reimbursing them for medical costs and pain and suffering for what might be argued as your negligence.

Now that would hurt.

I'm glad you shared the experience. We should all be very conscious of safety when cooking. The danger is always there. Mix in kids and its even more probable that something could go wrong. I'm always concerned about burns with kids around, never thought of falling equipment.

I'm not trying to place blame on you, the accident was likely the result of a bunch of minor variables that added up. I'm just thankful that you shared the story and as the cliche goes "at least no one got hurt." We all need to remember that what happens around our bbqs is ultimately our responsibility, even with crazy kids (or drunk neighbors) running around.

Your friendship, that six year olds safety, and your homeowners insurance is more important than the "piece of steel." I think you have a good perspective of it all and handled yourself well.

I hope Weber pulls through for you.
Thank you. Yes there are many truths there. When I moved the old trailer to the back of the driveway I moved the Bandera over. Ultimately I was the one who placed it in harms way. Even though this child was where he shouldn't have been and had been told as much the fact is he was there and this happened. I'm just glad he was at the high side and the 'dera pitched forward away from him. I think all of that was in my subconscious as I listened to what amounted to the eulogy for my 26'er. As you stated...luckily only steel was damaged.

I am always telling the kids to get away from the cookers. My spicewine is pretty safe but they are just as conditioned to stay clear of that as they are the Webers.

I hadn't thought of this thread as a learning experience for others but I am glad if it helps rattle some cages. Most know I like rattling cages once in a while.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #36
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Skip - That really Sucks bro. I would try the Weber Customer Service angle ....

Telephone and Email

Customer Service Line 1-800-446-1071
Canadian Customer Service Line 1-800-265-2150
Grill Line (Open 7 days a week) 1-800-GRILLOUT
Email Address[email protected]

Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #37
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Skip-
Sorry to hear about this, but you may want to consider building a table for it. You can straighten a lot of the peices and the table might hide some of the damage.

Or....
You can box it up and send it to me, and I in turn will send you a RED 22.5" kettle!
Serious! I'd love to have a 26" to use on my Magnum Drum smoker!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #38
warren
Full Fledged Farker

nice

Old 09-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #39
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

EVERYTHING at your house looks out of whack...

Dave

Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #40
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry folks, this is going "off topic". Skip, that avatar is priceless! I can't tell you how often we see the "pug butt"! Having four of them, we are entertained often with such clownishness! They really are a trip. They can snore and fart with the best of us. LOL

Craig

Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #41
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I say throw it all away except the lid and build a monster UDS. Glad to hear the kids are unharmed!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #42
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Think thats big you should see the lid from the coleman fire pit.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #43
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Skip,

Glad everyone is safe... only your nose and metal got bent out of shape. Sorry for you, my friend. It would have been quite a different scenario if the smokers were lit and hot.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #44
Tarpon65
On the road to being a farker

Actually, the lean just gives your grill a "sassy" appearance. It definitely has attitude now!
Tarpon65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #45
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

So sad! SO SAD! ;-(

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote