• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Not my new 26" Kettle!!!!!

Skip

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well folks it seems my new Weber 26.5" kettle took a beating. One of our friends kids was running around the old Bandera and knocked it over. Wouldn't you know the new 26.5" kettle that should've been in the garage was just the perfect distance away. The vertical box of the Bandera fell directly on the back end and crushed the base of the kettle. The rear legs buckled up and in and it looks like its doing a curtsey. I haven't really looked to closely as it is painful and would rather not consider inflicting bodily harm on this kid or blow a heart attack over screaming about a piece of steel. So I will assess the damage tomorrow and see what, if anything, weber is willing to help me with.

I'm just bummed and needed to vent. Any of you kettle crazy experts have any suggestions?

Thanks sucks..

Can't hurt to take a pic and send an e-mail of the situation to Weber customer service..

let them know you are also a competition cook team and proudly show your Weber grills at comps and have some upcoming but don't have the cash to buy a replacement. They can probably swing something..

Never know !! Good Luck and keep us posted !!

Thought I was the only one with that kind of luck,,,Fark!

Is it too late to claim shipping damage?

Yeah even the slow boat to china made it. Been about 4 months. But I've only cooked on it 5 times since we've been pretty busy with comps. Its a great piece of equipment too. I like my 22 and my little 18 but they are a whole different animal. The 26 is just a better quality all around. So many little things that add up to a whole lot.

My luck swings like a pendulum. Sometimes its awesome sometimes its terrifying.

Good idea Vin. Didn't think of the competitive cook angle.

How in the world do you knock over a Bandera? That's got to just suck. I love my 26" kettle and having something like that would just kill me.

That is a huge bummer, I would institute a new now running around the fire policy.

That really bites. and it's less than the deductible on most insurance policies. But since there's no pron it didn't happen. :twisted:

I want to be that kid's sports agent.....
More seriously, that kettle was formed with many thousands of pounds force by a ram at Weber. Maybe they'll take pity and give you a new lower. Better still a new one? If you're listening Weber, a little good will goes a long way.

Have you told the kids parents where they can order a new on from?

next time....
982645_Kid-Duct-taped-to-a-wall_620.jpg

WOW what a bummer. My heart definitrly goes out to you. I like the picture nocoreredneck posted. I think I might have gone a little further like cutting my grass and weedeating for the rest of his life. Hopefully if you do send pictures to Weber they will also feel the pain. Who knows, they might even send you a new kettle. Would be great publicity for them.

Have you told the kids parents where they can order a new on from?

Exactly. That really sucks, Skip. I know how much you were loving that thing. Sounds like there's not much to salvage if the base is bent. I'm sure you'll have a replacement sooner than I have my 22.5 WSM! :)

Ouch! Chit happens, but DAMN!:shock: So sorry to hear. You handled it very well I must say.

Yeah from what I can gather the Bandera was at the edge of a concrete pad. It must've had one wheel hanging off the edge. When he leaned against it it pitched and fell over on the kettle. As much as I wanted to do nasty things he is only six and had already thought I was coming home to kill him. He sat on the couch like a deer in the headlights as I came in. Not a word from him as he had a few nervous twitches and a pee shiver. I said to him you have something to say now don't you? He let out with a wimpering "Sorry are you going to kill me". I have to say I almost laughed and then walked away.

In the end its a piece of steel. A beautiful wonderful brilliantly black specimen of cooking art but a piece of steel. Now that I am sane and have had time to calm down all I can think is "boy I am glad it was the weber not one of the kids". I'll miss her but hopefully the rebuild will be painless. I really didn't like the way the vent butterfly moved anyway. It was always too stiff but hadn't gotten around to looking it over. No need now.

I will post pron on it once I get a few pictures taken.

Man that blows...big time. I had something happen similar to my blue OTG just a few months after I bought it. Mine was more less a simple paint chip out of the bowl...I took a pic sent to weber, they sent me a new bowl. Id take pics, send them a letter explaining all what happened and I bet they hook you up. Wouldnt hurt

I feel your pain. Is the 'dera still straight and functioning? Everyone is looking at the obvious man down but we should be giving first aid to the one we can still save.

Sorry to be the one to post the first pron..
412b.jpg

The Bandera is a relic left over from our first year. It was a used unit we kept alive until the wine arrived. I had asked the wife to call special pick up to clean out the "Island of Misfit Cookers" in my backyard. Just hadn't happened yet. The vertical box on the dera is fairly clean but the firebox is a mess of rust.

Back