Butterball turkey and brine

tweek

Reaction score
I have done some searching and found some conflicting information on the topic so I thought I would ask here.

I have a butterball turkey I am going to smoke this weekend for my mom's retirement party. This turkey is "self-basting" so it has been injected (I believe would be the method used) with a solution. Some people say you dont want to brine that type of turkey, some people had directions to do so.

What are your thoughts?

Also I plan on using mesquite for the wood, magic dust for the rub, and water/apple juice for the drip pan.

Does that sound sensible?

i've smoked a few BB's that were self-basting, no need to brine, but i have marinated them. i go with olive oil and then salt and pepper. are you sure you want to use mesquite. pretty heavy for poultry. why not use a fruitwood.

I did some searching and found some people did use mesquite so that was also why I proposed that (and I have a lot of mesquite). I do have some cherry logs to be chopped. Would that work well with the apple juice (or just skip the apple and use straight water)

What marinade would you suggest?

Kind of up to you. I've brined self basted turkeys and personally I thought they still came out more moist then non-brined self basted. If you do brine, I'd avoid any flavorings and just stick to salt and sugar. I use 3/4 cup morton kosher salt per gallon, I think 1 cup per gallon is too salty.

And I'm with RichardF, you sure you want to use mesquite? That is awfully heavy for turkey. If you've used it before on turkeys and are happy with it then have at it. If not, I'd go with a fruit wood.

Edit: Go with the cherry.

Also this would be for pulled turkey sandwiches.

I think I will use the cherry instead.

I just smoked/roasted a bb turkey two days ago and I did it almost exactly as you described. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. My mother called my on monday wanting to get the turkey out of her freezer so I didn't put a lot of prep in it. Here was my method:
  • coat turkey with olive oil, inside and out.
  • insert aromatics inside turkey (apple, onion, rosmary, lemon)
  • put on my favorite rub
  • water/drip pan filled with apple juice
  • smoker at 325 to 350 degrees with hickory.
The turkey was 12lbs and took about 3 hrs. I ended up finishing the last 20 minutes in the oven cause I didn't put enough fuel in the smoker. It was better than any brined turkey I've ever made.

here are my last two turkey day posts

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=790223&postcount=1

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=502719&postcount=1

DSC03261-1.jpg

I have used mesquite on turkey many times. That was before I started using pecan and cherry. When I was a noob all Wally World or Lowe's had was mesquite and hickory. Mesquite is not bad if not overdone, but now prefer a milder flavor.

I used Saiko's brine twice in the last few weeks. Once on whole enhanced bird and once on just a breast. It is the best turkey I have ever done. I also gave it an oil rubdown before smoking. I find an apple and other aromatics in the cavity of the whole bird add a nice flavor. I ate up the leftovers two days later and it was still moist even having been sliced. I'm a big believer in fruit woods as well as maple.

I normally don't brine a bb bird... It's just me...

I would really stay away from the mesquite... just a little to much or to long on it and it'll be bitter as all get out...

Stick with cherry or even hickory (sorry Scott)...

I just happened to have this page open that I found on KCQers road map at the top of this forum. Good read.
http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101

I love mesquite and have never had anything that tasted bitter, but I can see it being a bit strong for a long cook on poultry.

I love mesquite and have never had anything that tasted bitter, but I can see it being a bit strong for a long cook on poultry.

it's ok, you're from texas - i'm pretty sure you all have measurable amounts of mesquite in your blood, and lab testing has shown that it's found in mother's milk in texas.

Last edited:
Back