I might Go Backwards.......

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had a UDS

Fe219YQl.jpg
zQHyf2Nl.jpg

but got tired of lifting n lowering the charcoal basket into the drum (back problems) and pulling top grate of meat off to get to the 2nd grate so i sold it and got a single wall cabinet off craigslist. it was a Fuel Hog on charcoal so I insulated and skinned it. Not bad now,

VXUtRNEl.jpg
LmhBgAil.png

But then I got the Old Country Gravity Fed so don't need the DIY insulated cabinet so it's For Sale. I'd like to get a smaller lighter more Portable insulated cabinet smoker (the DIY insulated cabinet takes 2 Guys to load n unload -the Wife ain't much Help) like the Humphrey's Long Weekender or Guru Shotgun but I can't Afford One....

aI0jqZhl.jpg
xYQSX7Yl.jpg

Soooooo I may build another UDS. I still wont like the things I didn't like about the UDS but I won't use it much. It'll be my Outer Towner Smoker........light enough to load in my truck and I can deal with the loading of the charcoal basket and the pulling of top grate - occassionally.....

if I build a UDS I'm thinking I'll put the Bastardized WSm Door on it - would allow me to check meat on 2nd grate....... :twitch:

H4R8dJnl.jpg
LMh1cCPl.png

Last edited:
You need a Hunsaker! :heh:

NAH,,,, Not knocking Hunsaker but I can Build One Cheaper (won't be powder coated or as Snazzy looking.....) and I want a door on it.........at least for probing meat even if I have to take out the top grate to get meat out....... need to be able to do 1-2 briskets , 2-4 racks of Ribs and a pan of Beans.......

I've played with a lot of home made smokers (I'm broke too). I can't find anything to hate on a good UDS BUT the pain of juggling racks... and making 2 UDS takes care of that.

BTW- that Longhorn UDS... wow- " a touch too much" IMO- but it's his creation. /shrug

What size are Hunsaker, Gateway n Ironside charcoal baskets.?
I made my last one but it was bigger than needed and so Heavier than needed........

The Hunsaker Vortex basket is heavy because of the solid steel, so if weight is an issue build your own and Hunsaker now sell just the Vortex plate as a WSM mod. I'm a believer in the plate and how it evens out temps across the drum.

I've seen the basket online - no dimensions.......can one of yall measure it? 14" round? how deep?

Back