Leg of lamb prOn

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I talked my wife into me roasting the leg of lamb on the Klose rather than in the oven. We're both happy about that decision, as it turned out great. Here's what I did:

Deboned and butterflied a leg of lamb and marinaded it overnight in a mixture of yogurt, mint and marjoram leaves, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Here it is this morning in the marinade:

Removed it from the marinade and rinsed off most of the marinade. Seasoned the meat with salt and pepper and then coated one side with the filling: Bread crumbs, chopped black olives, olive oil, lemon juice mint and marjoram leaves, pine nuts, garlic and lemon zest:

Rolled it up and tied it into a roast shape with butcher's string. Here it is on the Klose where it gets indirect grilled:

Here it is after not quite two hours, with an internal temperature of about 150F:

Another view of the roast on a platter, resting before being sliced:

Here it is sliced and ready to eat:

Here's a nice salad my wife made to go along with dinner:

And here it is all together with peas and oven roasted potatoes (with olive oil and rosemary)

I hope you all have as tasty an Easter meal as we did!

Looks good man......not a big fan of lamb myself but, that looks good enough to make me change my mind.....good job!!!:biggrin:

Looks good man......not a big fan of lamb myself but, that looks good enough to make me change my mind.....good job!!!:biggrin:

Yeah, I'm not a big lamb fan either, but for Easter I thought I would follow tradition. Somehow, the yogurt seems to wick away alot of that objectionable "lamby" flavor. This roast could have been mistaken for a very juicy pork roast. This roast changed my whole perspective on lamb!

Looks fantastic. Makes me think about cooking a leg of lamb.

That looks really good. Glad you tried the pit over the oven. I've never done the yogurt marinade on lamb, but I suspect it does take some of the gamy flavor away and it's bound to add some moisture too.

I love lamb and your dish looks great.

I'm going to have to give your version a try.

That looks great. I work with a lot of people that only eat lamb and goat so I'm constantly trying to come up with new ways to prepare it.
My usual fall back method is:
Boneless Leg of lamb
make incisions all over the leg and insert sliced garic.
Take Rosemary whole and place in the middle. Smother inside and out with olive oil
roll it like a fatty
Tie it up
smoke it on the grill for about 4-6 hours
Serve.

Nice job. Wonder if a buttermilk marinade would go well with lamb. I can't say I've had a lot of lamb and have never cooked it.

My wife is a BIG fan of lamb. Maybe after seeing this thread she will allow me to smoke some for dinner one night. It looked very good.

That leg looks real good, but what did you do with remainder of the lamb?:wink:

Looks really good! Did you have the butcher de-bone it or did you do it?

Looks really good! Did you have the butcher de-bone it or did you do it?

I bought a "partially deboned" leg, which still had two bones to take out. This was pretty easy to do, using a boning knife. Since I was rolling it back up anyway, I didn't have to worry about the deboning being too pretty.

nice job, I am a big fan of lamb and have done it on the fire many times many ways.
for easter I went with the same kind of roast, left the bone in and hit it up with some of my curry rub. was pretty good, yours looks better I like the stuffing idea.

and what is a CFD optimized baffle?

nice job, I am a big fan of lamb and have done it on the fire many times many ways.
for easter I went with the same kind of roast, left the bone in and hit it up with some of my curry rub. was pretty good, yours looks better I like the stuffing idea.

and what is a CFD optimized baffle?

CFD=Computational Fluid Dynamics, the use of numerical methods to model complex fluid flow and heat transfer phenomena. This is the area I studied in graduate school, and I did a study in my spare time last year of the effect of the well-known "Bandera baffle" on temperature distribution in the smoke chamber of the Bandera. You can see the results at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/smokinbadger/Smoker_CFD

What can I say, I'm a nerd who likes to cook.

A truly georgous hunk o' meat. The whole meal looks wonderful.

PLOWBOY- Yes you can use buttermilk. I have done it that way.
But-buttermilk and Yogurt are chemically very similar, and I think the yogurt works better in a meat marinade. In my opinion, it brings more flavor, and I think maybe it has more active enzymes than the super-market buttermilk [very much part of the industrial food chain]

That looks great! I am going to have to give lamb a try soon.

I have Never Eaten Lamb...but that Looks Great...I Might just have to try it someday !!Thanks for the Pron !!!

What can I say, I'm a nerd who likes to cook.

LOL......... aint nuthin wrong with that, we sure do come in all shapes and sizes dont we?

Our comp team is actually made up of a nuclear engineer, a lawyer with an undergrad degree in electrical engineering and then me and another dumbie.
I am fowarding the link to your slide show to the nuke dude, he'll love it!

While I have to admit that your methods are way over my head, I think it is fascinating. Is that all computer simulated or do you have to do an actual burn and record results? Have you ever done any other models with different shaped/sized baffles? I have just come into possession of 2 different Bandera and am getting ready to mod them up, I would love to hear any suggestions that you may have worked out.

Thanks!

I've never had lamb for breakfast before but if that plate were to cross my desk right now...

Great job!

Back