• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoky Mountain gas smokers

B

bertkemtncurs

I went to Wal Mart to kill some time during lunch today, and they had these on sale for $98, so I bought one. Also had Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grills for $26, so I added another one to my collection. They had Brinkmann Smoke 'n Pit offests for $158 (Tuesday is payday, going back then for one of them!). Any of you guys ever used the Smoky Mountain? I hired a guy who competes and does catering to make pulled pork for one of my inventories at work, and overheard him tell a guy they make awesome food. Also had a guy transfer up from Texas that uses one and raves about it. I figure for $98 its worth trying.

They do a fine job. Brian (brdbbq) had one for a long time.

They seem like they would be very easy to use, and they look like they would handle a nice amount of meat.

Let us know how she does.

Bert,
that's what I use..in fact, i just bought another one ..."double wide" on ebay to keep up at lake erie. I know its not what you'd call a "real" smoker..but...it has served me well..it's very EASY and the food that i've made has always gotten rave reviews from friends and neighbors. Pretty much set it and forget it. There is a learning curve but you'll have that with any smoker. PM me if any questions.

I have a smokey mountain gasser, and I like it. It holds temps well even in less than ideal weather, and is all around a good unit. My one complaint is that the wood box only makes smoke for about 45-60 min. Then its time to try and figure out how to get the thing out of there and reloaded without burning yourself. I get about 3.5 six hour cooks out of a tank ( don't ask me how I found out about the half of one, that was a long trying day) thats at 250-275 deg. If its the samller one then you got a good deal, and if tis the larger one you got a great deal.

Chris

You will like your GOSM. They are a good unit to have around for those days you want Q, but don't have all day to fiddle with a smoker. Simple to use with quality results.

dodgeramsst2003 said:
I have a smokey mountain gasser, and I like it. It holds temps well even in less than ideal weather, and is all around a good unit. My one complaint is that the wood box only makes smoke for about 45-60 min. Then its time to try and figure out how to get the thing out of there and reloaded without burning yourself. I get about 3.5 six hour cooks out of a tank ( don't ask me how I found out about the half of one, that was a long trying day) thats at 250-275 deg. If its the samller one then you got a good deal, and if tis the larger one you got a great deal.

Chris

You will not be disappointed at all. Try using a 6-8" cast iron fry pan to increase time before adding wood. I have never did it but hear it works well.

Chad thanks for rememebering I had one I don't even remember half the $hit I had anymore. Can't imagine why. :roll:

Thanks guys! Gonna fire it up this weekend and try it out. I just hope my wife doesn't figure out that I don't HAVE to sit by this one drinking beer like I do with my charcoal smokers!

I have a stainless steel Smokey Mountain Gasser.
It works well and is great when you don't have the time to tend the fire.

Let us know how it works out for you.

If you all had a clue haas to how much $hit I caught when I first bought mine, then again I have a tendency to start $hit storms...if you could imagine that. It was back at the beginning of what has come to the end for me.

I have the GOSM 3605 and it has been very dependable for me, use it year 'round in any weather, needs a wind break in high winds. I never had a problem with the chip tray 45-60 mins is about what I get and I only use a couple loads. 26-30+ hrs on a 5 gallon tank of propane, so I always fill all the grates with meat. This was sort of the "springboard pit" for me, my kids were younger and involved in year round sports and I just didn't have the time to devote to tending fire.

It's what I use. Just started getting into smoking when my wife got it for me for Christmas. Does a pretty good job. Combine that with my wireless therm and I'm smoking ribs while sitting behind the puter talking to you guys :biggrin:

Gas

Gas grills I can live with, but a gas smoker? Whats wrong with you people?

Bevo said:
Gas grills I can live with, but a gas smoker? Whats wrong with you people?

Relax dude.. propane driven smoked meat is better than no smoked meat. :)

Here's my story..

I've had a GOSM for years and tried and tried to make good Q on it. I did ok, but not great. So, I assumed it was because I didn't have a fancy, big horizontal offset.... I assumed it was because I was using propane on a cheap-ass GOSM. WRONG!

So, I got a big fancy horizontal offset and found this group.. i read and read and read.. I asked newbie questions and made great Q on the stick burner. Then i realized the reason I couldn' get great results on the GOSM was because I couldn't find my ass with both hands and an ass map. It had nothing to do with the gear. So, after learning the fundamentals of good Q I tried the GOSM again and guess what? Great Q.

So, when I don't have time to build and tend a big fire in the offset, I just use the GOSM and reap the benefits.

A UDS will be my next weapon.

B

I've got it going right now. Our horse died this morning, gonna try to cheer up the wife and kids with some Q.

bertkemtncurs said:
I've got it going right now. Our horse died this morning, gonna try to cheer up the wife and kids with some Q.

Ok I gotta Im Sorry in advance but how would you cook one of them?

Low & Slow ? Or high temp Sear

Ok I gotta Im Sorry in advance but how would you cook one of them?

Low & Slow ? Or high temp Sear

:-D Nice! That was good, guess I set myself up for that one!

I got one too, have been kinda scared to talk about it with the hardcores around here. I like the heck out of it.

brdbbq said:
You will not be disappointed at all. Try using a 6-8" cast iron fry pan to increase time before adding wood. I have never did it but hear it works well.

Chad thanks for rememebering I had one I don't even remember half the $hit I had anymore. Can't imagine why. :roll:

How should the fry pan be used, in place of the chip box?

Back