Brisket and Pig Candy on the Jumbo Joe (w/PrOn)

sliding_billy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Found a nice 3lb piece of center cut brisket in the "reduced for quick sale" section the other day and thought it would make for a nice ring of fire cook on the Jumbo Joe. Still had a good amount of coal left when it was done this morning, so I did a couple of pans of pig candy.

Great marbling

Home brew brisket rub

Started the ring with the "hair dryer"

Wrapped at around 160 (forgot to take a picture before wrapping)

Heat and coals left... what to do?

Rested and unwrapped

Just fatty enough

Get in my belly!

Still a few coals left...

When all else fails... Pig Candy!

2 batches later

That is a very nice kettle cook, showing the potential of the kettle to great advantage.

A weber kettle cooking something like that. :thumb:
That brisket is fantastic!! Really nice smoke ring!!

brisket on jumbo joe? looks like you didnt have to add any coals wow. how did you monitor temp?

brisket on jumbo joe? looks like you didnt have to add any coals wow. how did you monitor temp?

I ran for 3.5 hours using my hands against the lid as the thermometer (I put the bottom damper to half about an hour in when I could barely palm the lid for a second meaning it was getting up into 300+ land). It was ready for wrap the first time I opened the lid. I checked it in an hour, and it was still a little tight. Another 45 minutes, and it was just right. Opening the damper and sucking a bunch of air in when I pulled the brisket got it ready for the dogs and pig candy at higher temps (could almost not touch the lid at that point so probably about 400). All told, I got about 8 hours out of the ring (moved the coals to the center at the end). Without opening the lid and playing with the coals, I could have probably got 8.5 to 9 hours at 250-275.

I ran for 3.5 hours using my hands against the lid as the thermometer (I put the bottom damper to half about an hour in when I could barely palm the lid for a second meaning it was getting up into 300+ land). It was ready for wrap the first time I opened the lid. I checked it in an hour, and it was still a little tight. Another 45 minutes, and it was just right. Opening the damper and sucking a bunch of air in when I pulled the brisket got it ready for the dogs and pig candy at higher temps (could almost not touch the lid at that point so probably about 400). All told, I got about 8 hours out of the ring (moved the coals to the center at the end). Without opening the lid and playing with the coals, I could have probably got 8.5 to 9 hours at 250-275.

ok i want a jumbo joe when sales are on

Back