MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Fast Track Brisket - The Quest Continues

If you recall I was bitchin' last week about the bark on my hot-n-fast brisket. Another one hit the pit today and so far, it looks better that any of the others. Instead of my very traditional no-sugar brisket rub I went with a layer of Dizzy Dust topped with a layer of Jim Goode's Beef Rub. The basics I like are still there (salt, pepper, onion, garlic,) but both rubs have sugar which I never use on brisket, and a few other spices too. Injection stayed the same.

Here is the boy all rubbed down.

This is at 2 hours into the cook.

This is about 3 hours into the cook. I'm going to pull and foil in 30 minutes.

This is about 3-1/2 hours into the cook, ready for the foil stage. The flat was 170°, the nose a few degrees lower. Other than some tong damage, the bark looks good.

kickassbbq recommendations from last week: "Cover them for about 1.5 hours instead of 2 and when the internal temp gets to about 180-190 uncover them and crank the heat to 400 putting them near the hotest area of your smoker. Pull them off at 195-200. If you let them finish uncovered, they will have a nice bark".

Thanks Ed, I'm pretty happy now, I'll see how it looks once it's 185°. It's really more of a timing thing since I was just playing with this technique today. Heck, it's only 1:30 in the afternoon here. This guy may have to rest in the cooler for a while.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

The Third Eye Man!!!!!!!

Hey, that looks GREAT. I do like the Low and Slow, BUT, it is nice when you need to get one done fast and do not have all day.

Now remember, if you cooler it too long the bark may get a little soft on ya.

That does look really good. Please let us all know how it is when ya cut into her.

Smoke On!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

As Chad and I have said many times--
"It is not for everyone"

With all due respect to KickAss, we cook in the low 300s. Normally 300 to 330, just wherever the cooker settles in depending on weather.

Still-- really short times to cook to perfection.
Great bark. As thick and firm as we want.
Great flavor, moisture, and tenderness.

We have no problem "catching it" on the foil stage and the "done" stage.

So, test the whole temp range and do not focus on one end or the other!

FWIW.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
As Chad and I have said many times--
"It is not for everyone"

With all due respect to KickAss, we cook in the low 300s. Normally 300 to 330, just wherever the cooker settles in depending on weather.

Still-- really short times to cook to perfection.
Great bark. As thick and firm as we want.
Great flavor, moisture, and tenderness.

We have no problem "catching it" on the foil stage and the "done" stage.

So, test the whole temp range and do not focus on one end or the other!

FWIW.

TIM
I know exactly where you are comming from, I had settled into the 235°-250° mode and never thought of breaking out of it. I've read some good results about 350°, so I had to try it. The 4 or 5 I've done are timing out at a half hour to 40 minutes a pound. I try to buy as close to 10# briskets as I can to keep that variable constant.

Using temps in the 300°'s what is your time to weight ratio?

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 11-15-2006 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Can't tell time

Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
I know exactly where you are comming from, I had settled into the 235°-250° mode and never thought of breaking out of it. I've read some good results about 350°, so I had to try it. The 4 or 5 I've done are timing out at a half hour to 40 minutes a pound. I try to buy as close to 10# briskets as I can to keep that variable constant.

Using temps in the 300°'s what is your time to weight ratio?
We usually get 12# briskets...give or take a bit.

Our briskets are normally removed from the cooker at 195 degrees in 4-4.5 hours...they then hold, covered for several more hours.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

.... looks dang good ... I trust your comments on the taste later. Your grate-level ( or dome ) temp was 350*F for the entire cook ??
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
thirdeye

Okay, here's the rundown. Because the finish time was middle afternoon the cooler rest was the only option. I usually go for a long rest on brisket anyway, so this worked out fine. Cook time to 198° in the flat was 6 hours on the button. The flavor and moisture were just right. Tenderness was "acceptable" on 1/4" slices, but leaned toward "real good" on 1/8" slices. I do need to point out that for these practice cooks, I've been buying SELECT grade in order to save $.60/pound. I've also been leaving more fat on the cap than usual, because I was scared of the higher pit temperature.

Here is a picture of the first cut.

Tim & Chad, thanks for your advice and the info on your cooks.

Tom, ..the entire cook was 350° grate temp. To get this, I started at 375° dome and later the two temps evened out a little.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Looks great! My last three briskets were higher temp and they came out great!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote