• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

St. Louis Cut Ribs Special at Aldi

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
$1.99 per pound. Seems like a very good deal if they truly are fully trimmed:

2a4y9le.png

I checked a couple stores nationally and they seem to have the sell at each store.. so chances are your local Aldi has them too. I'm gonna go check these out soon!

I can get full spares from PrairieFresh at the local mom and pop for that or a few cents more. I've never trusted the meat cases at the Aldis in Memphis. Interesting to see them sell a Tyson product though. Since it IS Tyson, are they enhanced?

Checked mine in South Jersey, and they're having the same sale. Was in another store on Sunday and theirs were $3.79/lb.

Thanks for posting this!

Well I can get full spares cheaper than the Aldi sale. I just figured if you wanted to cook only St. Louis cut, then you wouldn't have to pay for scrap tidbits and rib tips (although rib tips are yummy if you want that).

Well I can get full spares cheaper than the Aldi sale. I just figured if you wanted to cook only St. Louis cut, then you wouldn't have to pay for scrap tidbits and rib tips (although rib tips are yummy if you want that).

Yep. But, I usually just cook the whole slab, if I'm not cooking baby backs. Even when I want the presentation, though, I'll cook the leftovers for beans, nachos or what have you. :thumb:

Yep. But, I usually just cook the whole slab, if I'm not cooking baby backs. Even when I want the presentation, though, I'll cook the leftovers for beans, nachos or what have you. :thumb:

Makes sense :) I bet the ones you get aren't "enhanced" either.

Is Aldi up to quality?
I've always thought they had inferior product.

It really depends. Personally, I almost never go, but some of their dry goods, even though brands Americans are not familiar with, aren't bad. Since their produce outright sucks and I don't trust their meat, there is no incentive for me to visit. Also of note, at least in Memphis at the store near me, the sale stuff actually comes out on Sundays and by the time the Tuesday/Wednesday flyer comes out, everything's been picked over or already gone. Had the manager say this to me when I asked how something could sell out so quickly once.

It really depends. Personally, I almost never go, but some of their dry goods, even though brands Americans are not familiar with, aren't bad. Since their produce outright sucks and I don't trust their meat, there is no incentive for me to visit.

I've gotten some decent produce from Aldi, it all depends what day of the week you go. Also I buy most of my canned & dry goods from them. Their mayo is better than Best Foods & Helman's... and I am very picky about mayo.. Helmann's / Best Foods has always been my favorite, until now -- it's also half the cost.

I've gotten some decent produce from Aldi, it all depends what day of the week you go. Also I buy most of my canned & dry goods from them. Their mayo is better than Best Foods & Helman's... and I am very picky about mayo.. Helmann's / Best Foods has always been my favorite, until now -- it's also half the cost.

I understand about the mayo. For me, mayo has just GOT to be Dukes. Blue Plate in a pinch, or even Sauers which is made by the same company as Dukes. :thumb::thumb:

I understand about the mayo. For me, mayo has just GOT to be Dukes. Blue Plate in a pinch, or even Sauers which is made by the same company as Dukes. :thumb::thumb:

I'll have to try Dukes :) Thanks. (Sorry for getting off topic.)

Btw, I've bought ribs from Aldi before and they turned out pretty tasty. They were baby backs.

Ok, so I bought one rack of ribs there at Aldi. It is in fact, enhanced... a whopping 12% too--poor waterlogged ribs!

Question from a newbie. How does the enhancement effect them?

The enhancement is a salt solution to add more moisture (and weight) to the product.

With ribs, they can end up tasting "hammy" sometimes.

Most of us also like to use our own seasonings and flavors, so many look for non-enhanced products to cook.

I've gotten some decent produce from Aldi, it all depends what day of the week you go. Also I buy most of my canned & dry goods from them.

My father in law was in the grocery consultant business for his entire career. He says ALDI is known to have some of the highest quality canned goods. Of course my mother in law refuses to shop there because she never has a quarter for her to get a cart. Go figure.

Of course my mother in law refuses to shop there because she never has a quarter for her to get a cart. Go figure.

She can ask for a quarter from the clerk up front--I have upon occasion. They assume you'll return the quarter but don't keep track--I always return it of course :)

I like Aldi for somethings and can't stand them for others. Canned goods seem to be good. Chocolate is imported from Germany and the snacks (chips, salsa) are good. Their goat cheese is really good and crazy cheap.

I'm a little concerned about their meat (although I haven't tried any) and their produce isn't any better or cheaper than other places around here.

In general, I'm sort of enamored with the place. They are clean, well run and organized. They usually have at least 3 upc symbols on their products to help speed up check out. I've never been on their lines for more than 3 minutes.

For the person that was asking about 'enhanced' ribs, I've only used them once and I used a rub w/out salt. They came out fine.

Eric

I shop at aldi and buy the can goods . As far as meat i get it at other places . i'm just picky.(and i always care a couple of quarters (in case some one needs it ).

Back